Uh-oh

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

You cast a smile up at Tao, thankful that he had been by your side through everything. That’s what partners are for, aren’t they? You felt terrible that you couldn’t remember most of your memories with him, but tried not to worry, remembering that the doctor had said that they should come back soon.

“Grace, I think that before we try to fill you in, you should tell us what you remember from before the accident. Mr. Kim was really worried that our lead detective wouldn’t be able to remember anything about the case.” She said, pulling out a file from her bag.

“It’s actually kind of strange. Ever since your accident, our unsub hasn’t killed….anyone. It’s almost like he has been lying low, trying to stay off the radar for a while. Mr. Kim believes that this is because we were on his tail, and almost caught him. But none the less, here is the file of any evidence we have thus-far. Take a look at it whenever you’re ready.”

You nodded, taking the file silently and setting it on the small table that sat in front of the giant window.

“Well, honestly, everything is a little hazy. But the last thing I remember is leaving a restaurant with Tao.” You offered, feeling guilty that you couldn’t offer them more.

“That’s right, Grace. We were leaving a restaurant. But the only detail missing is that we were actually dating at that time.” Tao said awkwardly, rubbing his neck. He didn’t want to push all of this onto you so quickly, but waiting for you to remember was painful. It bothered him that you couldn’t remember all the times you had shared together, but he knew that it wasn’t your fault.

Secretly, he was just glad that you hadn’t asked about the accident yet. That too would be a shocking bit of information that might push your emotions on over-drive. He would have to tell you when you were ready.

“Oh… So I guess that the only things I’m forgetting are the times we spent together? I wonder why that is.” You pondered, trying to remember anything you could about dating Tao.

“I guess I’ll just have to wait until the memories naturally come back. I’m sorry, Tao.” You said, frowning.

“Until then, why don’t you all tell me what I missed?”

-----

After a few hours of Mi Do and Kai reporting everything that had happened at black-ops while you were gone, you waved goodbye to them as they left your dorm, holding hands. Kai slid his arm around Mi Do’s waist as they walked away, and they smiled lovingly at each other. You pondered for a moment, wondering if you and Tao had ever looked at each other that way. You thought back to the hospital, when he had kissed you. By the look of shock on his face when you had jerked away, there was a chance that you had at one time. You were beginning to become frustrated by the loss of time that you had gone through.

Pushing the thought aside, you began to roll the wheels on your wheelchair so that you could somehow push your way into the bathroom. It was late, and you were exhausted. After all, it hadn’t been that long since you had left the hospital.

Tao saw you struggling, and stood up to help, but you waved a hand at him in a silent protest.

“I can do this, at least.” You said, nodding thankfully anyways.

After a few seconds of trying to get your chair through the door, you closed it, locking it behind you. You knew that Tao would just open the door if he thought you were in trouble or needed help, but right now, all you wanted was privacy.

You could barely see yourself in the mirror because you were sitting down, but you didn’t have to see your entire face to know that you looked horrid. Taking a deep sigh, you decided that going to bed was the best thing for you right now. Step one was going to the bathroom. You hadn’t gone in almost five hours, so your bladder was kind of… agitated? A small struggle ensued before you actually got onto the toilet, and you realized that this was going to be a hard few weeks. You could barely even stand.

Quickly washing your face, you now faced the struggle of changing into pajamas.

“Aish.”

-----

After almost a half an hour in the bathroom, you emerged to meet a frustrated Tao.

“Aish! Are you alright? What were you doing in there that took so long?” He asked worriedly, looking all over you for any marks.

“Gee, Tao. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I kind of have no use of my legs.”

“Oh yeah, uh, sorry. But don’t forget- we were in a relationship at one point- so if you need help with anything, just tell me.”

“What do you mean by that?” You asked suspiciously.

“I just mean that maybe I saw more of you when we were dating….” He pushed his fingers together, giving you a weird look.

“YAH! TAO! I’m still a , RIGHT?” You growled menacingly.

“Of course you are! I was just kidding! Wow.. I didn’t know you were a .” Tao said quietly.

“Yes, of course. I believe in abstinence until marriage. So don’t get your hopes up.” You added, rolling over to the table where the file sat.

You grabbed it, and Tao sat across from you at the table.

“Are you going to look inside?” He asked, almost sounding like he didn’t want you to.

“Why? Is there something in here that you don’t want me to see?” Your interest in the file suddenly doubled, and you pried it open quickly.

Tao suddenly closed the distance between you, grabbing the folder from your hands before you could see anything inside it.

“Tao! Yah!”

“I’m sorry. It’s nothing like that! I just.. have to tell you something before you see this. I didn’t think you would want to look at this for a while, but now that you do….”

“Tao, you can tell me. What is it?” You asked kindly, wondering why he was being so hesitant about telling you.

“Well…. The thing is….It’s something about the accident we were in.” He sighed deeply.

“The person that hit us… It was intentional.” He finished, looking to your face for your reaction.

“Intentional? What do you mean? Do you know who hit us?” You asked, your heart picking up speed.

“Well, we don’t know his name, but… Look inside.” He said, offering you the manila envelope.

You took it slowly, suddenly afraid of what you would find inside.

Hesitantly, you slowly opened it up.

The first page of the file was a picture. It looked like a street intersection. You could see Tao’s car as it spun out of control, and you saw the woman that had been texting as she smashed into the car in front of her. You flipped the page, finding another picture identical to the one before it, but this was zoomed in on the car that had been in front of the woman.

Your eyes widened in shock. The man that was sitting in the driver’s seat of the car in front of the woman’s was none other than the murderer. His long, greasy hair and unpleasant appearance struck a chord in your body, leaving you almost unable to breathe.

“No. This cannot be right. That woman was texting! She didn’t know what she was doing!” You reasoned, searching Tao’s face for any kind of explanation.

“I know that, but… we eventually determined that this was pre-meditated. Why else would the same guy be that person that hit us?”

“I don’t know, but that is simply bizarre! He knew we were onto him- so why would he make such a daring move? Why didn’t he hire someone at least…” A billion different thoughts raced through your mind at once, and suddenly, it all became clear.

(A:N/ Hi guys! So pretty much, the story is now setting off. I’m so excited to write more of this story. I’m sorry that it has taken so long to get into it, but I have finally decided on a plot complete with many twists and turns. Please stay tuned for a great story!)