Lu Han

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

The kiss had ended after you had silently pulled away, your heart pulsing loudly from many different emotions. When you had remembered everything, you didn’t just remember the good memories. You also remembered the bad ones, and with those came a wave of grief and anger. The emotions slipped across your face without a sound, but Tao could see them clearly.

“Grace, what’s wrong? What else do you remember?” Tao asked worriedly, setting both of his hands on your shoulders.

“I’m just… so mad that I lost so many of my memories. But besides that, why were we fighting Tao? That one day- when we went back to the second crime scene. Why were we there in the first place?” You asked, recalling the dream.

“Well, the case wasn’t making any progress, so Mr. Kim sent you and I back to the crime scene to look for any kind of evidence we might have missed the first time around. But we were fighting because of something you had done the day before.” Tao began, taking a seat on your bed.

“It wasn’t related to the serial killer case. It was a common hit-and-run case, and we were simply asking around the area of the accident to see if anyone had witnessed anything. A car had run down a twelve year old girl in the street at around 11pm. There was no footage found at the traffic light camera, so Mr. Kim dispatched us to ask around for any witnesses. After spending some time analyzing any video camera footage we could find around the area of the accident, we went out and approached an old lady that we found passed the same area every day. When we spoke to her, she informed us that she did see the little girl run out into the street. She had been chasing a ball, but wasn’t paying attention. You got a little excited I guess, and before the ahjumma could say anything else, you begged her to come into the station for a statement. I understood because often witnesses will change their statements, especially if they are an older person.”

“So we brought her into the station to make an official statement, but unfortunately, I had to take an important call, and I left it up to you to record the statement. When I got back, you and the old woman were gone. I asked around, and Mi Do told me that while questioning the woman, a crazy look came over your face and you practically ran out of the station, with the ahjumma in tow.”

He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, probably feeling guilty for leaving a newbie alone with a witness.

“Gosh, Tao. I’m sorry. I wonder what came over me. Why can’t I remember what she told me that shocked me?” You wondered aloud, trying to recall the moment.

“Well, never mind that. What happened then?” You urged him to continue the story.

“Well after I asked Mi Do, I called you to see where you were. But you had turned your phone off. Since I didn’t know where you went, all I could do was wait there silently. Almost hours later, you came back, and you look pretty disheveled. Your hair was a mess, and your clothes were pretty dirty too. No matter how much I begged you to tell me what happen, you refused to. Then I just got angry, and I yelled at you for worrying me. I tried to convince you that no matter what it was, you could tell me, but you insisted that it was for the best. We went to bed that night, both of us in really bad moods, and we barely spoke a word to each other the next day. That morning Mr. Kim assigned us to the second crime scene of the serial killer case, and that’s when we kissed for the first time. You had finally decided to tell me afterwards what happened.”
“The previous night when you were talking to the ahjumma, she had told you who she thought the killer was. And you, being you, thinking you could take on anyone all by yourself, went off on your own, and almost got yourself killed. I was really mad when I heard that, because you hadn’t trusted me. But that’s what happened. I still don’t know what happened when you went off by yourself, though.” Tao ended with a sigh.

“Well if I knew, I would tell you Tao, I swear.” I said, feeling awful for what I had done with him. Man, Grace #2 was messed up.

“I’m just glad that you remember everything now.” Tao said happily, smiling so that his eyes were completely gone, instead formed into arcs. You smirked at the face, grabbing his cheek.
“Aigoo. Tao is so cute!” You said, puffing out your cheeks.

“Yah! That’s what I’m supposed to say to you!” He wailed, backing away from your hold.

“Whatever~” you said happily, laying back down. Your back was tired for sitting up this long.

“Let’s go to bed. I’m tired. But can you do something for me?” You asked Tao, looking up at him. His hair was still tousled, and we wore black sports shorts and a white wife beater. You unconsciously snuck a glance at his toned biceps, trying not to make it too obvious.

Damn.

At the same time, Tao was looking at you, so thankful that he could hold you close once more. He observed your petite frame, and your small fingers that laced together as you lay down. Your unmoving legs were tucked carefully under the covers, and he hoped that you could walk again soon. But until then, he would make sure to take care of you.

She looks like a little kid. She’s so small. He thought, and silently stood up.

“What is it?” He asked, eyebrows lifting.

“Please lay down here with me. I think there is enough room.” You slowly moved over, using your arms to drag the rest of your body along with it. You patted your hand on the empty space next to you.

“Please? I want to catch up on all the time I’ve missed with you.”

Reluctantly, Tao nodded, lifting up the sheets and sliding under the covers until his body fit snug with yours.

This is where you belong, Grace. Right by my side.

Tao’s fingers intertwined with yours, and you both lay there, happier than you had been in a long time.

-----

You and Tao started the next morning well, heading to breakfast as soon as you had managed to get dressed. As he pushed your wheelchair to the cafeteria, you realized how embarrassed you were to be there.

“Tao, I don’t know about this.” You stated flatly, grabbing hold of the blanket that was covering your legs.

“Grace, stop worrying so much. This isn’t the first time someone has shown up to breakfast in a wheelchair.” He chuckled, quickening his pace.

You eventually decided that he knew more that you did and it would be best to simply trust him. Entering the cafeteria, you suddenly felt as if everyone’s gazes were on you. After what seemed like an eternity, Tao located some empty seats next to Kai and Mi Do.

Practically shoving Kai out of the way, Mi Do sat next to you, and set a tray into your lap.

“Mi Do~ you shouldn’t have. You already got me breakfast? Thank you.” You said, smiling at your considerate friend. She proudly pushed her hair dramatically behind her shoulder, smacking Kai in the face.

He sputtered, some of it entering his mouth.

“Yah! Jagi~ be more careful!” Kai wailed in a half exasperated voice. She ignored him, rolling her eyes.

 “Enjoy it, Grace. You deserve it especially after all you’ve been through. By the way, how is your memory recollection coming along?” Mi Do asked, peeling open a banana.

“Well actually at like- 4am this morning I remembered everything after having a dream.” You said shyly, running your hand through your hair.

“Omo! That’s great! So now you remember how much of an amazing friend I am, what a hot boyfriend Tao is, and how freaking annoying Kai is!” She said sarcastically, throwing her hands into the air.

“Jagiya~ why are you being like this?” Kai whined, his shoulders moving back and forth.

You all laughed, and talked for the first time in a while.

-----

After you had all finished breakfast, Mr. Kim walked into the cafeteria. He gave a low whistle, signaling everyone to stop talking and listen.

“Good morning everyone. I hope that you have all eaten a good breakfast, because we have a hard day ahead of us. I wanted to announce a few things to everyone while you are all in the same place. Firstly, there has been a water pipe break in level one of the dorms. This means that anyone with only two roommates in level two or three must help us out and let another person from level one join them in their dorm. This is not permanent, just a temporary arrangement until the water pipes are fixed in level one. To anyone in a level one room, your new dorm room will be assigned on the blackboard in the computer room. Go check it out after breakfast. Oh, and try to be quick about moving your things. We want to fix the pipes as quickly as possible. Maybe one of your new roommates will help you move your things?” Mr. Kim said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Almost everyone in the cafeteria moaned at the assignment of more work, considering they already had so much on their schedules.

“Secondly-“ Mr. Kim began, cutting off the agents whines.

“We have just acquired a new member of black-ops. His name is Lu Han. Please welcome him with open arms, and don’t be rude.” Mr. Kim threatened, eyeing everyone suspiciously.

Your interest peaked at the name. His name sounds handsome. I wonder what he looks like?

Only a second later, your questions were answered. Into the cafeteria walked an extremely handsome boy. And by extremely, you meant really handsome, because Mi Do had grabbed onto your wrist, squeezing it until you could no longer feel your fingers.

“Sweet mother of everything good and holy-“ Mi Do began, her eyes were popping out, and frankly, she looked a bit crazy. This wasn’t natural, especially for Mi Do. No one compared to Kai for her.

Lu Han held a solemn expression on his face, looking almost bored with this entire situation. A gasp escaped almost every girl’s mouth that was present in the cafeteria. And almost like he had expected it, he smirked cockily after hearing the unanimous noise. He knew what effect he had on everyone there, and he liked it. One of your eyebrows rose, questioning his appearance. He surely wasn’t dressed for espionage.

He wore tight skinny jeans, fitting him in all the right places, as they showed off his muscular legs. He wore a light grey hoodie, and basketball shoes that were extremely shiny. His hair was a light shade of blonde, and his facial features were almost feminine, with highly chiseled cheek bones, and a smooth jaw line. Suddenly his gaze landed on you. You immediately thought that it was because of your wheelchair, and sighed inwardly. You held his gaze, stubbornly not wanting to be effected by him like everyone else had been. He held your gaze as well, and Tao noticed this. He let out a low growl, and stood up, breaking the silence in the cafeteria. This also broke your staring war with Lu Han, and once you looked away he looked somewhat disappointed.

Kai suddenly stood up as well, and Lu Han’s eyes opened, slightly stunning his calm figure. Kai seemed to have some sort of affect on him.

Kai grabbed Mi Do’s arm and pulled her up gently.

“Mi Do, kaja. We have a lot of training to do.” Kai said, almost angrily. He held Lu Han’s gaze even after he left the cafeteria with Mi Do in tow.

Tao also followed, pushing you out in front of him.

As soon as you had all left the cafeteria, Tao caught up to Kai and Mi Do.

“Hyung, what’s wrong? I’ve never seen you like this.” Tao asked worriedly, trying to keep up with Kai’s quick pace.

“Me either. Oppa, what’s wrong?” Mi Do asked. When Kai didn’t answer, she halted, stopping in her tracks.

Kai sighed, turning around to face us.

“Aish. I’m sorry guys.” He pushed his hand anxiously through his silky hair.

“Lu Han and I have a history. He and I used to work at the same detective agency, before I was transferred to black ops.” Kai began, letting go of Mi Do’s hand.

“He did something…something that I can’t talk about right now. But I promise that in time, I will tell you all. But for now, I’ll just let you know that he betrayed my trust, and because of that we aren’t as close as we once were. Matter of fact, I haven’t contacted him in almost two years.”

“Wow. I’m sorry, Kai. That must have been hard for you.” I said quietly, and Mi Do took a hold of his hand in a tight grip reassuringly.

“It’s ok now. Just make sure to avoid him. I know I will.” And with that, the conversation ended.



(A:N/ Hi~ I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Honestly, I really wanted to bring Chanyeol into this story, because of Roomate. The show has been giving me many Channie feels haha. Unfortunately, I felt that Luhan would fit the role better.)