Coma

The Bigger the Dog, the Harder it Bites

Currently, the only thing that you were aware of was that you had been sleeping for a long time. After you were taken into the ambulance, you felt a sharp pain and then everything had gone black. You didn’t remember anything else. Not seeing Tao for a long time, matter a fact not seeing anything for a long time. Occasionally you would hear voices calling out your name, like your mother and father, Tao, Mi Do, and Kai. But for some reason you just didn’t open your eyes. You didn’t open them when you were hungry, you didn’t open them when you were thirsty, or when you had to go to the bathroom. Somehow you just lay there, feeling like everything was happening at such a fast pace around you.

You also didn’t feel the need to wake up. You felt bad for leaving all of your friends in such a worried state, but your inner selfishness had taken over and that no longer meant anything. Weeks passed and every hour a new person would come and sit by your side, eagerly awaiting your reappearance. Tao would take night shifts and sit there for hours by your side, laying his head in your lap. You wanted to yell at him to mind his personal space, but you obviously couldn’t do that.

There were some parts you did remember, like arriving at the emergency room and the doctors hastily sewing you up from the inside out. Your vision was blurry and you slightly felt a tugging sensation on your stomach. You could still see your intestine as the doctors put them back into place.

One day Tao walked in for the night shift and sat by your side, pushing back your bangs from your face.

“I wish you would wake up, Grace. Everyone here misses you so much. We really need you to help us and…”

He paused, wrapping his hands tightly into yours.

“I need you, most of all. I miss you so much. Please wake up. Please.” He squeezed your hand and you finally realized that sleeping this long wouldn’t do anything for anyone. You silently found the strength, and weakly squeezed Tao’s hand in reply. The breath left his lips and he eagerly bent down next to your face.

“Nurse! NURSE! I think she’s waking up!” Tao screamed into the hallway, and suddenly you heard the doctor’s voice, along with your parents.

You gathered up all of your strength and tried opening your eyes, but it was taking too much effort. The monitor that was hooked up to you started beating rapidly, which indicated that your heart was going through a lot of strain.

Finally your eyes opened and there stood Tao and your parents, standing at the side of your bed. Tao was gripping your hand tightly.

“She needs to calm down, or her heart will give out. Trying to pull herself out of that coma was probably extremely hard, and gave her heart too much strain.” The doctor said.

“Grace, calm down. Try to even out your breaths.” Tao said.

You hadn’t noticed but you were breathing really hard like you had just run a marathon. And you had been in a coma? What else had happened to you? You tried your hardest to even out your breaths, but it was really hard. After almost twenty minutes you had succeeded, but you couldn’t speak because your throat was so dry.

The doctor silenced your parents and your friends who had just arrived after being called by Tao. He quickly handed you a dry eraser board to write down any questions, but you were too weak to hold the pen. The feeling of being helpless was really frustrating, and scary.

You lay there as all of your friends congratulated you, but the doctor quickly made them leave. Everyone except Tao. Once everyone had left, the doctor faced you seriously.

“Alright, Miss Grace. I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you have recovered fully and you will be able to get back to work in no less than a month of rest. The bad news is that a large piece of metal impaled your stomach, cutting through your intestines. You may never be able to run the same way again, and you also may tire easily from now own. Try to not exert yourself ever, because that may tear your wounds open once again. I also have some bad news regarding your legs, and that is that you are currently paralyzed from the waist down. There is nothing to fear though, because with some good old fashion therapy you’ll be walking again in no time.” Your doctor informed you.

You tried moving your legs, but in fact they were paralyzed. You tried not to panic, knowing that you could walk again soon. 

“Also, I don’t think this is the case but you may also experience some false memories. You were involved in a horrible car accident, and you have been in a coma for three months. So some of the things you remembered before the accident may have actually never happened at all. You may have also forgotten many things.”

You nodded solemnly, feeling so weak that you could barely move, let alone nod. 

Tao looked down at you sadly as the doctor left the room. After he left the rest of your friends came back in. Mi Do ran next to you and began to cry. 

"Grace! I was so worried about you! We all were! I'm so glad that you're awake now!" You smiled weakly and suddenly fell into a sleep again. You felt bad for your friends because you had just woken up but you were too weak to even thank them. 

A few hours later you practically pried open your heavy eyelids, and saw that it was late at night. Tao had his head laying on your waist and was sleeping.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" You choked out quietly. But Tao still heard it, and his eyes shot open.

"You can talk? I'm so happy." He smiled drowsily and leaned in, pecking your lips with a small kiss.

Even though your eyelids felt like heavy rocks they still shot open at the kiss.

"What do you think you're doing?!" You echoed again angrily.

Tao gave you a confused look.

"What do you mean? I'm just giving you a kiss!" He answered by repeating the notion, this time a bit more aggressively.

"Stop that! I'm going to scream for someone!" You said raspy through staggered breaths. Your heart began to race and you once again heard the monitor next to you beeping like crazy

"Hey- Grace! Calm down! What's wrong? Why can't a boyfriend kiss his girlfriend?" He said worriedly.

"B-BOYFRIEND?" Your voice cracked and you began to choke on your own words. Your throat was so dry that it wasn't a good idea to talk, let alone yell.

"Nurse! NURSE!" You yelled silently. No matter how much you struggled you couldn't get your voice to reach a normal note, and your cries were only silent pleas for help. You began to panic, and you felt violated.

Suddenly your heart rate reached the danger zone an a nurse ran in with wide eyes.

"What is going on in here? You need to calm down Grace, or you could die!" She said restraining your wrists. This only made you panic more, but you were so weak that you could only lay there and protest angrily with quiet remarks.

"Who is he? Why did he kiss me?!" You whispered harshly, motioning to Tao. 

His eyes flew open in disbelief. 

How much had you forgotten?