Meeting the Princess

Of Beginning, Falling In Love, and Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been a week since Joonmyun’s not-so-pleasing conversation with Sehun at the Share Tea café near the office. And poor Joonmyun has been busying himself with documents and emails for the whole week, hoping that somehow the work will push away the image of Sehun’s sad face lingering in his head. But no, not even work could take away his guilt. And to think that finally – like, finally – the day of meeting his wife-to-be has come, Joonmyun find himself sitting on the chair inside his office room, fingers fiddling with the hem of his tie.

 

“Uh, Kyungsoo,” Joonmyun called quietly.

 

Do Kyungsoo, who’s reading a book of pastry recipes on the black leather couch not so far from Joonmyun’s desk, of course doesn’t want anyone to bother him when he’s reading ‘the secrets for heaven on earth’. “Hm?”

 

“Kyungsoo, I’m nervous.” Joonmyun said, more quietly, almost a whisper.

 

“Pfft, you, Kim Joonmyun, are nervous?” Kyungsoo said as he flipped the page, “that’s new to me.”

 

Joonmyun cursed inside. I know I know I know! “This time is different.”

 

“She is different?” Kyungsoo said, eyes still scanning over the pastry recipe. He gasped. “Oh my Holy Pororo look at that beautiful Strawberry Garden, I am so going to make you once I get home!!”

 

“Yeah you could say it like that. This girl is different.” Joonmyun blurts out.

 

Finally that word could make Kyungsoo glance at him. “Oh really?” he asked, round eyes widening like saucers. “What’s so different about her? I thought you haven’t met her yet.”

 

Because she’s Sehun’s crush for God’s sake!! “Uh, well, I mean, you know, meeting a stranger who turns out is your wife-to-be can make you nervous.”

 

Then Joonmyun realized he forgot something. No one, no one ever dare to lie so directly on Do Kyungsoo. Somehow that guy will know, as if his owl eyes could see through your soul, and you could do nothing but to stutter. So Kyungsoo is staring at him with his owl eyes, sensing that ‘there must be something this gramps hides from me’.

 

But then Kyungsoo smiled bitterly. “Yeah, I know. So sorry for you, Joonie hyung.”

 

Joonmyun unknowingly sighed in relief. He glanced at his watch. 11.05 AM. “Two hours left.”

 

“You should be leaving by now, who knows there will be some random traffic jam on your way home. She will be the one to come to your house, right?” Kyungsoo said, eyes back to the pastries. “Or you’re meeting her in her house?”

 

“She and her parents will come to my house. Right now my mother is so busy preparing lunch.” Joonmyun said as he checked his laptop for some emails.

 

“Oh I would love to come to eat your mom’s home-made chocolate truffles. Seriously, she is a magic.” Kyungsoo said as his gaze wandered dramatically over the window. “Or should I just ask her to share the recipe? But I think I can’t make the same delicious ones.”

 

Joonmyun sighed so heavily. “Two hours left.”

 

“Really, hyung, you should be going. Just in case.” Kyungsoo said, packing his belongings and grabbed his blazer. “I’ll be in Minseok hyung’s office room if you want to mourn again. But you should be going by now.”

 

“It’s fine, I could make it in forty five minutes. I’ll leave by twelve.” Joonmyun murmured. He glanced at Kyungsoo. “You’re leaving? Why?”

 

Kyungsoo raised the pastry recipes book mid-air and used the same hand to wave Joonmyun goodbye. “Good luck with your bride-to-be.” he said. “Are you sure you won’t be late?”

 

“Yeah, I could make it.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Joonmyun frowned. “Yes, Kyungsoo, I told you, it only takes forty five minutes to get there.”

 

 

 

“,” Joonmyun leaned back as he drummed his fingers on the steer. “, .”

 

Somehow the fate has decided to be cruel on him, because when it’s just a few miles away from his house, suddenly there’s this random street reconstruction that caused some random traffic jam, leaving him no choice but to get stuck in the middle of the sea of cars. The sound of drivers honking impatiently is creeping inside him. Not to mention the endless calls from his mother. Twenty one years of living made him learnt that no one should ever dare to make the lady Kim wait. Not even his one and only son. So now he’s sweating more, thinking about how his mother is going to scold him later.

 

Finally after an hour and approximately twenty three minutes of driving, he drives his car into the spacious parking lot of Kim residence. It’s been two weeks since the last time he stepped there. He has been living solitarily in a nice apartment ever since he’s twenty. It’s not like he doesn’t want to stay in the house, he really love the house, but somehow he want to feel what it’s like to live alone.

 

The impatient Lady Kim who had eyed the shiny black sedan behind the window at the kitchen immediately went out to greet his son on the front door. So once he stopped in front of her, she immediately brings her knuckles up and smacked the precious head of his son. “I told you not to be late.”

 

“Street reconstruction.” Joonmyun cried.

 

“No excuses! You could’ve left earlier!” she snorted. “Come on, thank God they arrived only around fifteen minutes ago. Being late at the first meeting is not going to leave any good impression on them, Joonmyun!!”

 

Joonmyun sighed as he massaged his head. “Come on mom, I’ve never been late in meetings, you should give me rewards for that.”

 

His mom stopped on track and glared at him. “Should I smack your head again? And oh, that cut looks stupid. I know I should’ve accompanied you when you said you’re going to have a haircut.” she murmured, then sighed heavily after that. “My poor son.”

 

When they’re going to enter the kitchen, suddenly Joonmyun stops and poked his mother’s shoulder. “Mom, I need to go to the restroom.”

 

“Oh, okay.” his mom replied. “Oh, don’t use the guest restroom, the door is still under some fixing matters. Use the bathroom in your old bedroom.”

 

Joonmyun nodded briefly and immediately made his way upstairs, right to the third floor. He opened the door and entered his old bedroom. Everything is covered in white blanket. He sighed – he has been doing that lately – and went into the bathroom.

 

After a few minutes taking care of his business, he came out and walked towards the bookshelf. He slides the glass aside and touched the edge of the books one by one. Then his index finger stops at his favorite book. ‘Exclusive Encyclopedia: Life of a Polar Bear’.

 

“So long, my friend.” Joonmyun chuckled as he took the book off its shelf. He took a seat on the edge of his old bed and opened the book, revealing the very first page of it.

 

‘This book belongs to Joonie ~’

 

Joonmyun chuckled and opened the second page. Then the third, the fourth, until he lost his time and realized that he’s already page twenty seven. That’s when he heard a soft knock on te door.

 

“Excuse me,” the soft voice said.

 

He winced, then closed the en

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter