Korea

Love's First Spark

∞∞∞∞∞Melinda POV∞∞∞∞∞

“Plane to South Korea will take off in a few moments. Please put on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.”

“I’m going to Korea. Oh…My…Gosh…I’m going to freaking Korea. Oh…My…Gosh…I going to freaking Korea to see Taemin for the summer,” I said to Theresa. “Ahhh! Help me Theresa!! My heart is going into a spazz action every second! Is that normal?!” 

Theresa rolled her eyes and continued to stare at a cute guy “she fell in love with.” “Just calm down Melinda. The worse that can happen is that you trip and rip your pants again in front of Taemin” My heartbeat went even faster as she spoke. Not helping Theresa.

The plane took off and flew in the beautiful eternal blue sky. Airport security was so crowded so the security guards were even crankier.  Theresa didn’t exactly help because she got in a vicious argument with a security lady about her passport picture. Theresa took her picture two years ago, but that was when she had super long hair and chubby cheeks. She slimmed down and cut her hair so the passport picture didn’t exactly look like her. Well, it was entertaining though.  My luggage is surprisingly small for a girl going somewhere for about three months. My mom says that I should buy clothes in Korea too to show off a new style to impress Taemin.

“OMG!! Oppa is so cool on stage! Wah!! Awesome!” “My feels!! Oppa is killing me with his charismatic dance moves!”

Urgh! Annoying teenagers shrieking over a guy in Korean. What’s the big deal? Is he their idol or something? Whatever, I’m going to sleep.

“Did you see Taemin do that dance move? So cool!”

  What? My eyes popped open. Taemin? I turned around and I saw two Korean girls staring at their laptop. They were holding pillows to their faces to stop themselves from shrieking. Did I hear them right? Taemin? I turned to Theresa but she didn’t react. Oh right I forgot, Theresa didn’t know Korean. Hmm…did they know a different Taemin or something?

Aish! So frustrating! I went on my laptop and typed in,”Taemin.” Hundreds of websites popped up with this,” SHINee Taemin.” Apparently, he is an idol of this boy band named SHINee in South Korea. Main Dancer and vocalist of the group in a company called SM entertainment. I wanted to read more about this person but the airport waitress asked me something.

“Miss? What would you like for dinner?”

 I smiled at the waitress and closed my computer. Research can wait, my hungry stomach is more important. I ordered bim-bim-bap and a glass of coke. An interesting dinner combination but I’m craving it so yum!

I finished my dinner and fell immediately to sleep. I was so tired from the packing, drama, confusion, and annoying girls.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

“Psh! Melinda! MElinda! MELINDA!!”

“Go away! I need my sleep,” I said.

“Well…Taemin is here…right in front of you…”

“What!”I shot out of my seat and faced a laughing Theresa.

“Just kidding! We’re here!” sand Theresa. My eyes widen and glanced out the window. Wow, South Korea is so beautiful. I never been to my mom’s homeland before, but why did she leave? The view is so breathtaking that I would have died out of lack of oxygen if Theresa didn’t start shaking me away from the window.

“Aren’t you excited? You’re in the same country as Taemin?” said Theresa. I was about to smile back at her when I heard whispers in Korean.

“What? Taemin?” I turned around and saw two girls I saw last night.

“Please, how could that girl know our Taemin. She must mean another Taemin Yuni,” said the other girl.

“I know! But not many people are named Taemin Sohee! Count how many Taemins we know?” said Yuni.

“Melinda? What’s going on?” asked Theresa with a worried look. I put on a smile on my face.

“Nothing! I just blanked off thinking the things I will do with him,” I said.

“Can’t wait to be with him huh,” smirked Theresa.

I blushed. “Shut up!”

“Attention all passengers! We will be landing soon! Please fasten you seatbelt and hold on tight!”

I grinned. I can’t wait to see my apartment my mom brought us.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

“Wow! This is our apartment?” said Theresa. I agreed her. One look in our apartment and that was my first reaction too. The apartment looks like a mansion with high tech gadgets and a beautiful view of Seoul. 

“I’m picking my room!” shouted Theresa as she ran.

I walked around the apartment to explore my new home. It has two huge bedrooms, a gigantic bathroom, a giant kitchen, and enormous living room with a 70-inch flat screen. So basically, everything was big.  The apartment was already decorated but I wouldn’t change it one bit. The furniture looks so modern, which goes great with the hard wooden floor. It has gorgeous art pieces that fit with the style of the house! I laughed when I saw a karaoke machine connect in the TV.  Asians and karaoke…

“Are you done Melinda? Let’s go see Seoul!” said Theresa. She dragged me out the door and into the streets. “Breath in the air of Korea! Breath!!” She let me breath for a few seconds, but then she pulled me into a restaurant. “I’m starving! While we eat, teach me some Korean words so I can actually communicate with people.”

I brought spicy seafood soft tofu stew with rice while Theresa got bibim guksu, which are sweet and spicy cold noodles. It was delicious! Our first taste of Korean food in Korea! During our time, I taught sayings to Theresa like,” Annyeonghaseyo (Hello)” or “Je ireum eun Theresa imnida (My name is Theresa.)” It was a lot of fun!

Later, we went around shopping. Seoul has so many shopping areas because of the amounts of tourist here. I brought a cute skirt and top.

“Wow! That is going to blow Taemin go googoo gaga over you!” said Theresa. I blushed at the thought of seeing Taemin in this. It’s cute but not really my style. 

We started to head back to our apartment and pasted a huge building with groups of girls.

“OPPA!!! Will you comeback soon? Oppa!!” Argh! Annoying fan girls again! When things couldn’t get any worse, it does. They started screaming when two back vans pulled up. Out came five guys heading to the entrance of the building. All I could hear was, ”OPPA! Saranghae!!”  However, one scream caught my attention. “SHINEE!!! Saranghae!!”

Shinee? Where have I heard that name before?