Birthday

Please Let It Be With Me

It was December 9th. 

 

Taemin had his alarm set for 5 am. It was freezing cold outside. He, Minho, and Jonghyun didn’t have a schedule today, which was actually a miracle. They could celebrate Minho’s birthday with him. 

 

Taemin got up, put his best track pants and zip up on, and went to the front closet of the apartment located near the front bathroom. Taemin had to adjust his eyes to the light coming from the automatic light in the closet and sifted through Key’s assortment of boots to find the flat soccer ball he had been looking for. He pulled out the pump that was with it as well and began to inflate Minho’s FIFA 2012 world cup ball. He had two of them, one to play with, and one that was signed and displayed in his room. 

 

Taemin then scurried back to his room, which he shared with Jonghyun. 

 

“Hyung!” Taemin yelled. 

“What what?!” Jonghyun asked, startled. 

“Today is Minho’s birthday and I wanted to go play football with him!” Taemin yelled in excitement. 

“Agh! At 5 am?” Jonghyun asked. 

“The indoor football dome is kind of far away and I thought it would be fun to eat breakfast, play, and then eat more later.” Taemin deflated at his hyung’s tone. 

“Fine. Lemme get dressed, you brat.” Jonghyun joked. 

“Thanks hyung! I’ll go wake up Minho!” Taemin said. 

“Um. Tae. Have you ever woken up Minho before?” Jonghyun asked. 

“No. But Key makes it look so easy so...” Taemin began. 

“Minho is a fire breathing dragon in the morning so, I wouldn’t. Lemme do it.” Jonghyun urged. 

“No way! It’s his birthday! He would love to come and play!” Taemin said, trying to convince Jonghyun. 

“Fine. Go wake him up and we can go. I’ll drive.” Jonghyun sighed. 

 

Taemin nodded and went  to Key and Minho’s shared room. For some reason, even though in reality they really were not, and Taemin had known them now for such a long time, the 91’ Line intimidated Taemin sometimes. They were older than him, not to mention the two tallest members, and their booming voices at loud volumes scared even Onew. Taemin braced himself to wake up the birthday Choi. 

 

Taemin went through the door of the room and saw Minho laying on his bed with no covers, dressed in sweats and a zip up. He was still asleep. 

 

Taemin was so scared to wake Minho up himself, that he went over to the iPod dock on Key’s bedside table, turned up Lucifer on high volume and ran out of the room. 

 

Taemin ran out of the room running into his solid, shorter hyung. The two waited. 

 

From outside the room, they could hear a loud groan, a loud bang, some swearing, and then...

 

“Lee Taemin! Kim Jonghyun! Why?” Minho asked. 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOI MINHO!!” The two sang in harmony, as Minho emerged from the room. 

“Thanks guys.” Minho smiled, happy that his two members were there to celebrate. 

“So we thought we should go grab breakfast and then play football! You in birthday Choi?” Jonghyun asked, as he jumped on Minho’s back, hugging his shoulders. 

“Yeah! Sounds fun!” Minho said, struggling to get Jonghyun off. 

 

The car ride to the indoor football dome after breakfast was a loud one. Minho and Jonghyun were singing deliberately horrible in English to whatever was on the radio and Taemin was complaining about how out of tune they were. 

 

They arrived at the dome and picked the field sectioned off right in the middle of the dome. No one else was there, thank god, but some of the workers did recognize them as SHINee. It didn’t matter though, no one was bothering them, and thank the lord that there were no fangirls. (or mostly in Jonghyun’s case, fanboys.) 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Key and Onew were on yet another radio show. They had a break so Key took this opportunity to talk to his hyung. 

 

“So. Is Onho and reality yet?” Key asked, not-so-quietly. 

“Yah! Key keep it down!” Onew reprimanded. 

“Sorry, hyung. But seriously, was is the next step in your plan?” Key asked, knowing Onew must have a calculated plan to become closer to Minho. 

“Um...well...today is his birthday, and mine is soon, so we thought since we all have a day off on the 13th, that he and I would do a joint thing.” Onew said.

“What?! Are you serious? You should have told me sooner! I can cancel my plans with Woohyun. I am not missing this for anything!” Key exclaimed, not-so-quietly. “Who’s planning this one?” Key asked, implying that he wanted to. 

“Um...we hired a reliable professional...” Onew began. 

“Is it Jjong? Because that guy can’t plan his outfits correctly.” Key interjected. 

“It’s um...Taemin.” Onew said wincing, waiting anxiously for Key’s blowup. 

“You. Hired. That. Alien. Child. To. Plan. Your. Party. With. The. Love. Of. Your. Life. And. Not. Me???” Key asked, angry and offended. 

“He asked and Minho agreed!” Onew said, soon regretting the fact that he just threw Key’s best friend under the bus.

“Minho agreed huh? So much for best-friendship.” Key huffed. 

“Ah come on! Taemin said that he wanted you to help. Don’t be mad at Minho and blame Taemin more than anything. He gave us that pout with glassy eyes and no one can say no to that.” Onew defended. 

“Hm. Fine you’re off the hook. But seeing that I am older, I can still yell at the frog and the mushroom later.” Key said with a content smirk which scared Onew a little bit. 

“Key...you and Taemin...how’s it going?” Onew asked timidly. 

“I think he likes Jjong.” Key said in a monotonous voice. 

“You know so many amazing people! None of them are better than Lee Taemin?” Onew joked to make Key laugh. 

“There might be someone. They gave me really serious advice, and I don’t know if it’s directed at me or what, but he’s super sweet, loud, and has a lot of energy.” Key said. 

“Are you talking about yourself?” Onew joked. 

“Whatever, hyung.” Key said, irritated. 

“Do I know him?” Onew asked. 

“Yeah. But I’ll tell you about it later, break is over.” Key said abruptly. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the end, Key did most of the planning for Minho and Onew’s joint birthday celebration. On the morning of December 13th, Key got up and went to buy everything they needed. 

 

There was a really small restaurant with a screened in and heated porch. No one else would be there because Key made sure of it. Besides all the SHINee members, a few close friends were invited. 

 

Minho woke up and went to the gym. He was very excited. 

 

Onew woke up and grilled meat for Taemin. He was very excited. 

 

Jonghyun woke up and went to the SM Building. He went to the stylist. It was apart of a new concept, but he hoped that his new color would get good reception. He also hoped that he would get a chance to talk to Taemin alone at some point. 

 

Taemin woke up and ate the meat that Onew made for him. He hoped he could get the courage to show his feelings to Jonghyun. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Key!” Minho called from their room. It was later in the day, about 4 pm and Minho had to decide what to wear. 

“Coming!” Key sang back. “Need something?” Key asked. 

“Why are you being so nice?” Minho asked surprised. 

“What do you mean? We’re best friends and I love you~” Key said smiling.

“Okay...anyway what should I wear?!” Minho asked frantically. 

“Calm down. You look best in black or white or blue.” Key stated. 

“Oh. Well..” Minho said, pondering the assortment of clothing within his and Key’s enormous closet. 

“Blue skinnies, your black button down and those awesome silver shoes that I wish I could steal but my feet are too big.” Key said. 

“Thanks Key. I’m just really nervous.” Minho admitted. 

“For Onew hyung? You’re nervous around that dork? Imagine how nervous he must be!” Key said. 

“Oh he’s nervous all right.” Jonghyun said, popping out from nowhere, scaring Key and Minho. Jonghyun 

“You’re platinum blonde?!” Key exclaimed while Minho shielded his eyes jokingly. 

“Looking good, hyung.” Minho commented as he walked over and inspected the new color. 

“Thanks guys. I gotta go get ready.” Jonghyun smiled as he waltzed out of the room. 

“He looks too good.” Key said sadly. 

“Key, don’t worry about what he does. You were blonde first.” Minho comforted Key, knowing Key still thought he was lacking in comparison.  

“He was blonde in RDD.” Key said.

“He had frosted tips Key, and it looked yellow to me.” Minho laughed. His jokes made Key laugh too. 

 

At the same time, Taemin was in Onew’s room. 

 

“Hyung, you look good in everything! Why are you so worried?” Taemin asked patting Onew on the back. 

“Because I need to look good, okay?” Onew said adamantly. 

“Stripes and simple pants. You’ll look adorable.” Taemin said, pinching Onew’s cheek. 

“Do you think...” Onew began. 

“Hyung. Minho will love whatever you wear ok? Most importantly though, make Minho laugh. He needs to be happy.” Taemin said smiling. 

 

Onew shook his head and looked in the mirror, wondering if he was really ready for this party. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonghyun arrived at the restaurant with Onew first. A few minutes later, Joon came in followed by Jessica. This made Jonghyun very nervous. Even though Joon and Jessica seemed to have fun on their accidental coffee date, Onew still didn’t show up, and Onew himself didn’t know about Key’s plan. He didn’t want the truth to come out and he didn’t want Onew to be confessed to either. 

 

Joon embraced Onew. “Hey pabo. Happy birthday! Where’s the rest of your clan? Joon asked. Onew was very happy to see his close friend. 

“They’ll be coming soon. Hey who’s able to come from yours?” Onew asked, wondering who from MBLAQ, a group that was good friends with SHINee, was able to come.

“Just Mir. But I think that’s enough for everyone.” Joon laughed. 

“Between him and Key, this is sure to be a high volume event.” Onew laughed. 

 

Joon then walked over to Jonghyun and gave him a manly hug. 

“Did you two come together?” Jonghyun asked, smirking. 

“Nah. We ended up on the same corner at the same time, and I actually saw her not too long ago, so we walked in together.” Joon explained, a little flustered. 

“Take it from me. She needs a guy like you. Be nice to her, hyung.” Jonghyun said, winking. Joon nodded. At this point, Joon could only think about Jessica. 

 

Jessica, who was waiting her turn to embrace the birthday boy, came up and awkwardly cleared . “Ahem.” She then stretched out her arms. Onew walked up to her and gave her a friendly hug. 

“Hey Jess! Glad you could come!” Onew said nervously, knowing that while Joon wouldn’t hold and grudge and take it personally that he didn’t answer his phone at all, Jessica would, and she wouldn’t forget it either.

“Of course I would come! It’s you and the frog prince’s birthday, wouldn’t miss it for anything!” She said smiling. 

 

After being so sweet and nice to Onew, she walked over to Jonghyun and slapped him on the shoulder. 

“Ow! What was that for?” Jonghyun asked, rubbing his shoulder. 

“For being so mean and hurtful over the phone!” Jessica whined. 

 

Jonghyun completely forgot about all the things he said to Jessica in order to distract her from bringing up Onew when she saw Joon at the cafe. 

 

“Listen Jess, I was just in a weird mood that day. I’m really, really sorry.” Jonghyun said sheepishly and apologetically. 

“You’re lucky I ended up having a good time, even though Onew didn’t come. Otherwise, I would have been really angry at you!” She said, stamping her foot. 

“Onew hyung was really busy it turned out. He should have called, I’m sorry.” Jonghyun apologized again. 

“It’s ok. You’re lucky I met a friend while I was there.” Jessica stated. 

“Oh did you now?” Jonghyun asked, trying to fake curiosity and lack of knowledge. 

“Yeah. I’ll tell you about it later. I’m gonna go get something to drink.” Jessica said.

 

She is exhausting to talk to. Hope Joon is a good listener. 

 

They four of them talked for a while, Jonghyun changing the subject every time he felt it was leading to that day Onew was supposed to meet them and totally didn’t. Jonghyun also tried to lead the conversation to where Jessica and Joon could find something they had in common with each other. Onew was starting to pick up on it and while Joon and Jessica were off on their own little rant about how both of them were never permitted to change their hairstyles much, Onew signaled to the two of them and went closer to Jonghyun.

 

“Are they...” Onew began. 

“Together? Not yet. I hope so.” Jonghyun said. 

“Really? They would be good together. When did that even happen?” Onew asked. 

“It’s a funny and long story that I’ll tell you another time because...look! People are coming!” Jonghyun said as he dashed towards the door. 

 

In walked Minho and Key closely followed by Woohyun. 

 

“Ayo! WH! What is up?” Jonghyun yelled across the room to his fellow lead vocalist. 

“Nothing much. Glad I could make it.” Woohyun laughed as he went over to Jonghyun. 

“Where’d Taemin go?” Jonghyun asked as Key walked to greet Jessica and Joon, who were talking to Onew again. 

“Um...Key?” Minho asked nervously. 

“Yeah?” Key asked. 

“Where did Taemin go?” Minho asked again, very nervous. 

“Did we lose him?! He was literally right behind us!” Key exclaimed. 

“I’ll go find him!” Jonghyun announced and ran out of the restaurant, grabbing his coat on the way out. 


Key sighed. I could have gone. 

 

Happy birthday Minho ah!” Jessica said, standing on her tip-toes to hug Minho around his shoulders. 

“Yeah man, happy birthday! It was a few days ago right?” Joon asked. 

 

Minho was a little shocked to be talking to the two at the same time. As far as Minho knew, they still liked Onew. Minho really wanted to give them the cold shoulder that he did so well, but they were his friends and Onew’s as well, and he wanted it to be a good night, so he put on a happy face and talked to them kindly. 

 

“Yeah it was. Thank you for coming.” Minho said.

 

Minho really wanted to talk to Onew, but as more and more people came in, it was harder to. 

 

“Happy birthday Onew!” 

“Ah! Minho! It’s been too long.” 

“Lee Jinki...are you sure you’re not the maknae?” 

“I swear you grow every time I see you, Minho!” 

 

Every time Minho seemed to get closer to Onew, more people would talk to him. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Where are you Taemin?

 

Jonghyun walked for blocks and looked into stores. It was getting late and really quite freezing, so he didn’t want Taemin to be cold and lonely. He hoped that Taemin was just buying last minute whatever. 

 

Jonghyun finally came to a convenience store at the end of the 5th block he walked down. Sure enough, there was Taemin, sitting at the counter, with his arms folded on the countertop and his head resting on them. Jonghyun couldn’t see his face. He walked into the store and put his hand on Taemin’s back.

 

“Tae. What are you doing here? There’s a party that you were so excited to have going on with great people.” Jonghyun said. 

“I like your hair, hyung.” Taemin said as he looked up, to find a very worried looking Jonghyun. 

“Thanks Tae...” Jonghyun said, not sure where to go from there. 

“Hyung. Does Key hyung like me?” Taemin asked very seriously. 

“Wh...” Jonghyun began. 

“Seriously hyung. Does he like me? He’s clingy one moment and then seems jealous a second later. We haven’t been the same for a while now. He used to be someone I can talk to and now I don’t know what’s going on. Does he like me? Have I hurt him? We planned out the party together, and he was so nice and then whenever you walked in, or even when we made eye contact, he would be mad.” Taemin said. 

“I want it to go back to the way it used to be.” He continued. 

“Taemin, Key does have feelings for you and he’s a great guy so follow your heart. Go after him.” Jonghyun said shakily, wanting to mean what he was saying, but in all honesty, he didn’t want to mean it at all. 

“But it’s not him. I don’t think I have feelings for him and that’s the issue. I’m breaking his heart.” Taemin said, tears slipping from his big brown eyes. 

 

Jonghyun said nothing as he sat down and pulled Taemin into a tight hug. 

 

“Key wants you to be happy Tae, so whoever you’re interested in, follow your heart. Key will find someone too and Onew hyung and Minho will be together eventually and it’ll all be perfect.” Jonghyun said into Taemin’s ear. 

“What about you?” Taemin sniffled. 

“Don’t worry about me.” Jonghyun said, Taemin’s soft hair. 

“I will worry about you because I love you, Jonghyun hyung.” Taemin said quietly.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jonghyun just texted me, he’s got Taemin, they’re coming back soon.” Minho said to Key. 

 

Key nodded. Wanting to change the subject, Key asked, “Have you talked to Onew hyung at all yet?” 

“It’s impossible. With all these people.” Minho said. 

 

Just then, Taemin and Jonghyun walked in quietly. They were holding hands, and Taemin was sniffling, indicating he had been crying. Taemin and Jonghyun were taken in to different circles of people wanting to talk to them. 

 

Key’s heart ached. They looked so happy. Just then, he felt a warm hand envelop his and that hand gave his a comforting squeeze.

 

“You ok?” The owner of the hand asked. 

 

Key recognized the voice immediately. 

 

“Mir! You came.” Key said, trying to sound happy.

“It’ll get better Key. You know that, right?” Mir asked. 

“It’s so hard.” Key said, trying not to cry. 

“I know. Just stick with me ok? We’ll have fun.” Mir said, squeezing Key’s hand again. Key smiled a little, his dreadful sadness, slightly lifting. 

 

After the get together had been going on for a good long while, Taeyeon and Jessica brought out a delicious and beautiful cake with a design on top made of white chocolate and fresh fruit. Both Minho and Onew loved these kind of cakes. Minho and Onew were sat down at the table while the delicious cake was placed in front of them. With that, Key, who had considerably forgotten his sadness due to Mir’s efforts, decided to make a toast of sorts to the two celebrating their birthdays. 

 

“Thank you all for coming. Minho and Onew are dear friends of mine, great group mates, and talented performers. Taemin and I planned the party.” Key said as he looked over to Taemin, who was now holding hands with Jonghyun again. Key smiled at the couple and nodded. 

 

“We all don’t get a lot of time off, so it means a lot to us, all five members of SHINee, that you all came here, even though you are busy as well. Anyways, Minho and Onew work hard, they’re supportive, and guys,” Key turned to the two now blushing birthday boys. “I hope you guys are enjoying your birthday party and enjoyed and enjoy your actual birthdays as well. You two deserve it.” Key said, beaming at Minho and Onew, who looked at each other and smiled, while everyone was applauding. 

 

Candles were blown out. 

Wishes were made. 

 

“Happy birthday, hyung. Thank you for celebrating our birthdays with me.” Minho whispered into Onew’s ear. 

“Happy birthday to you too. I’m really glad I’ve gotten to talk to you more.” Onew whispered back. 

 

Minho smiled, but then immediately blushed after his hand accidentally brushed Onew’s hand. Onew, who’s heart rate had increased dramatically, just as Minho’s did, looked down, smiled, and then interlaced their fingers underneath the table. 

 

A/N: In my word processor this chapter is 7 pages long ahh!!! Sorry it took so long to get up! It's very involved and takes place over days and with lots of people and talking and oh boy. I like this chapter.  I hope you like it~ Thank you for reading <33