Phone Calls On Days Off

Please Let It Be With Me

“Oh! Is it recording?! Aish! Hi Dubu~ I know we’re both really busy but I have been really missing my dear friend. We should meet for coffee soon, neh? At that adorable coffee shop! Promotions are going really well and I bet they are going really well for you too. We have to catch up sometime. Okie bye~” 

 

“Message again?! Damn. Onew, you never answer your phone anymore! We haven’t gone out for chicken in awhile. Call me soon! Bye.” 

 

“Dubu Tokki~ Please answer your phone. I wanna see you soon~ Jessie and Jinki used to be close, we need to catch up. Okie bye~” 

 

“Are you ignoring me, the one and only Lee Joon? Aish. You and your damn SHINee promotions. Call me soon. Bye.” 

 

“Onew!”

“Onew?”

“C’mon!” 

“Dubu!!!”

“Call me asap!”

“Did you die?!” 

“Do you hate me?”

“I know I made fun of your middle part in the Sherlock video, but I promise it was only a joke!”

“Adhjfsdahalfjksd Jinki!!!!”

 

Onew cringed as he listened to message after message, 10 in total, from his two other close friends outside of SHINee, Joon and Jessica. Has he really not answered his phone for anyone other than SHINee? Ever since he realized his feelings for Minho, he hadn’t been paying attention to much else besides practice, recordings, promotions, and Minho. He felt really bad and hoped that he could meet both of them today when he had his day off and still hang out with Minho, which was the thing he really wanted to do. 

 

He called both Joon and Jessica back and got an earful from both. He was going to meet Joon for coffee for a half an hour and Jessica for coffee again for another half an hour at another cafe. He figured he had more than enough time. It was only 7:30 in the morning, so plenty of time before Minho woke up and was ready to do anything active. 

 

Key, Jonghyun, and Taemin had a photo shoot for something, so they left very early and would be home quite late. Onew wondered how awkward it would be. Key didn’t come home until about 5 am and that worried Onew. A lot. Key was mad at Jonghyun and Taemin now, evidently. Onew put the pieces together and figured that there was a love triangle going on. He hoped it could be resolved and everyone could be happy in the end. 

 

On the other side of things, Onew planned out the whole day. After his double caffeine intake he would have the whole rest of the day to hang out with Minho and then have Minho back at the dorm in time so Key could have his best friend to rant to. He looked at the time, got dressed, wrote a note for Minho if for some reason he were to wake up before Onew got home and notice no one else was in the dorm, and went out. 

 

Onew walked a few blocks and saw Joon waiting for him. He gave his hyung a good hug and they went inside to grab some coffee. 

 

Lee Jinki, how do I make you mine? 

 

Turned out they talked for an hour and a half and he was very late for his coffee thing with Jessica. He wrapped up his conversation with Joon and expressed how good it was to see him. He then called Jessica to apologize but it turned out she was going to be late too so they actually ended up arriving at the same cafe he and Minho went to the previous night, at the same time. 

 

Jessica threw herself at Onew in a crushing hug and they made their  way inside. 

 

How and when would be the best time to confess to you, hm Dubu? 

 

While Onew was with Jessica, Minho woke up. Minho stretched and went to the kitchen. Since there was no breakfast, he concluded that Key, Jonghyun, and Taemin all had to leave quite early. Minho was extremely excited and a little nervous for his day with Onew. Minho went to Onew’s room, but the door was wide open and Onew’s set of dorm keys were gone as well. Minho pouted a little wondering where his hyung could have gone. Just then, Minho found a blue sticky note on the fridge that he totally didn’t notice before. 

 

Minho - 

I’ve gone out to catch up with friends for a short while. I’ll be back around hmm...9 15? Then we can begin our day off together! 

 

~ Leader Onew^^

 

Minho thought the note was the cutest thing in the whole world, but he was jealous. He knew that Onew must be meeting Joon and Jessica, remembering the plethera of messages the two left Onew. Both were older. Both were successful. Both were very attractive. Both had big personalities and weren’t shy at all. Minho thought they had him beat overall, so he was of course worried about his crush becoming involved with one of them. Of course he would never say anything, he could only hope that he could win over Onew’s heart first. 

 

Minho decided to pass the time until 9:15, so he decided to make breakfast which he never usually did. While Minho is in no way a chef, he thought his eggs were very good, so that’s what he made and by the time he was finished, it was 9:10. In order to not look desperate, Minho covered the eggs and went to his room to wait. 

 

He waited. 

 

And waited. 

 

And waited a hell of a lot longer than he should have. Minho even fell asleep for a few minutes. When Minho looked at the clock, he noticed it was almost 11:30. What the hell? Onew wasn’t one to lie or be this late. 

 

After a few moments more of boiling in his own jealousy, Minho stormed to the kitchen and threw out the eggs. They were too stale and cold to eat, and the microwave couldn’t put back what used to be there before. 

 

Finally, Minho heard the door open. “Minho? I’m so sorry I’m so late! Both times it ran late and I feel really, really bad.” 

 

“It’s okay hyung.” Why did it have to be them? “Who did you meet?” Minho asked even though he knew the answer. 

“Jessica and Joon and man, both of them can talk forever. That’s not an excuse, but I am very sorry I kept you waiting. Did you sleep well?” Onew asked, feeling horrible. 

“Yeah I guess I slept okay. Are you ready to play some football?” Minho asked, now excited about the day ahead of them. 

“Yeah! Lemme go get ready!” Onew replied, thanking Minho in his head for being so understanding. 

 

They called Onew hyung a lot. Do they like him?

 

The day was spent playing football which was a lot of fun. Even though it was cold outside, it was still enjoyable. Then hours later, the two found themselves playing Mortal Kombat and FIFA, which Minho dominated. Onew was happy that he could do this with Minho, something Minho enjoyed and made him happy. All of a sudden, Onew got a phone call from Jessica. Onew stood up quickly and headed out of the room as to not disturb Minho with whatever Jessica was going to ramble about. 

 

But it did disturb Minho. A lot. It made him so angry, even though he knew it shouldn’t. 

 

Out of anger, Minho called the one person he knew that could make him feel better at that moment. 

 

Ring ring. 

 

“Neh?” A deep voice, not as deep as Minho’s answered the phone. There was slight chatter in the background.

“Key?” Minho asked. “Are you okay?” 

“Just peachy. The two people I really didn’t wanna have schedule with seem to be having lots of fun together.” Key said angrily. 

“Key, I’m sorry you got scheduled with them. Does Taemin seem to like Jonghyun back?” Minho asked, feeling awful that he called Key to complain when Key was having a worse time. 

“I don’t know, but he looks so happy with Jonghyun. Should I just stop chasing, apologize, and move on?” Key asked desperately. 

“Key...” Minho began. 

“I mean I have no chance with him. So it’s just best if I give up right? Like if you compare me to Jonghyun...I’m not nearly good enough for Taemin. Am I?” Key said, his heart breaking at his own words. 

“Just take a look at your feelings, if they are so strong where you can’t give him up, then don’t. Fight for Taemin. You can’t give up because you’re afraid of losing. You’re automatically losing out. Take it from me, I never back down from a challenge, and no matter what happens, I get something out of it. Whether it is a medal, or a chance to learn from my mistakes. No one likes losing, but if you love Taemin, you will let him be happy with the one he chooses to be happy with. And you can’t resent Taemin or Jonghyun if they end up being together, because they are your family and part of your support system.” Minho continued. He hoped that Key was calming down. 

 

Onew had finished his phone call with Jessica, who asked him if he could meet her again because she had something to tell him. Onew was surprised to find Minho talking on the phone, but not surprised to find out who he was talking to. Onew stood there in awe of what Minho was saying. He really was such a thoughtful, supportive person. Onew wondered why he didn’t just fall for Minho the moment he met him the first time, oh thats right, from day one, Onew and Minho were separated and it was hard to close the gap. 

 

Key and Minho ended their phone call and Minho sighed as he put his cell phone down. 

 

“You okay?” Onew asked. 

“It’s Key who’s feeling down right now.” Minho answered. 

“He didn’t come home last night.” Onew said sadly. 

“I know. I’m really worried. He thinks he’s not good enough for Taemin.” Minho said. 

“He’s a great person! He is usually so confident!” Onew exclaimed. 

“He’s not feeling very confident because of his competition.” Minho replied. 

“They are both great people so all we know is that whoever he ends up with, Taemin will be a happy person.” Onew said. 

“How’s Jessica noona?” Minho said quickly, changing the subject. 

“The same, I guess.” Onew said, wondering why Minho asked so suddenly. 

“Are you two close?” Minho continued. 

“Yeah. We’ve been friends since our  debut. She welcomed me first.” Onew said. 

 

He was friends with Jessica far before me...and were in the same group!

 

“What about Joon hyung?” Minho asked. 

“What?”

“Are you close with him too?”

“He’s my best friend outside of SHINee, so yes we are close. He’s a good hyung.” Onew said.

“Oh. Okay.” Minho said, looking down at the floor. 

“You know, Minho, you guys are my family so you’re on the top of my list, as the leader, I’ll take care of you guys first.” Onew said reassuring Minho. 

“I know hyung. Thank you. You’re a really good leader.” Minho said, smiling and blushing. 

“Thanks Minho.” Onew beamed, feeling like he was on cloud 9. He strived for good leader status, and hearing it from the one he was falling for, meant more than the world. 

 

Hours and hours later, after a delicious dinner of chicken and more rounds of video games, the door bursted open, startling Minho, making him lose all the cheep cheeps he was going after in the Mario Party 4 mini-game he and Onew were in the middle of. Onew was startled as well and jumped a little when Taemin slammed the door too hard.  

 

“Key hyung wait!” Taemin called. All of sudden the other three members came in. 

 

Key stomped his way to his room with Taemin going after him. Jonghyun said down on the couch next to Minho. “I hope you guys had a better day than we did.” He sighed. 

 

While Minho and Onew were concerned, very concerned, and Minho knew he would needed to go comfort Key and make sure Taemin was okay, and Onew knew he would need to make sure Jonghyun was okay, but the two also couldn’t help but smile a bit at the thought of the fun day they had. 

 

Everyone went to their rooms later that night. Jonghyun’s phone began to ring. 

 

“Neh?” 

“Jjong?”

“Jessica?”

“Hi yeah it’s me~”

“How’s it going?”

“Pretty good. Jjong...I wanted to ask you a question. You seem like the right one to ask.” Jessica sighed. 

“What about?” Jonghyun asked Jessica, confused. 

How should I tell Onew that I like him?”

“...”

 

A/N: Oh god. Hi~~ Another update! Hope you enjoy^^