Crazy (Part2)

When Red Met Black and White

Jun-hyung was still looking blankly into space as we head back to school. He was carrying two acoustic guitar bags on his back, one with the ruined guitar and one with the newly bought guitar. He was also holding a hard case, the one containing the lead guitar that I chose when…

          “Oh, come on! It is not that bad!” I said, “The promo is really nice, okay? And I just want to get you something really nice since I broke your guitar so…” I trailed off. Jun-hyung suddenly stopped walking which made me worry, a lot. Then he muttered something, and I wasn’t sure what it was.

          “Huh?” I stepped closer to him to hear him clearly.

          “I said it was my first!” he said rather loudly that made me step back. Then he continued walking, this time, briskly.

          “Yah!” I called but he didn’t look back. I ran after him and yelled, “It was my first too!” Fortunately, he stopped. “I’m sorry, okay? I just…”

          “You know, let’s just go back to school,” he said but he didn’t turn around to look at me. Instead he continued walking, fast but slightly slower than before so I could keep up. Judging from his reaction, I could say he was embarrassed with what I did. I, myself, couldn’t believe that I did what I did.

          We were walking towards the bus stop and sweat from my forehead started blurring my sight, so I stopped and took off my glasses to wipe away the moisture on my eyes. Unexpectedly, someone bumped me so hard that made me fall onto the rough pavement and smash my own eyeglasses with my very own hands.

          “Oh! Nuna, mianhaeyo!” a voice said. I looked around to find a big round boy standing in front of me.

          “Kwaenjanha,” I said, slowly pushing myself to stand up, but a sharp pain on my palm made me wince.

          “Yah, kiddo!” I heard Jun-hyung say in a harsh tone.

          “Jun-hyung sshi, you don’t need to talk to him like that,” I said before turning to the boy. “Next time, will you be more careful?” I told him. The boy nodded and I managed to give him a small smile in spite of the pain I was into.

          I told the boy to go on. After he left, Jun-hyung kneeled beside me. He started searching his pockets, but then he must have remembered as he spoke, “you still have my handkerchief.”

          I took out his handkerchief and he took it from me. He took my hand and wrapped the handkerchief around it. “You crazy girl. He pushed you, broke your glasses and wounded you in the process, still you let him go?”

          “I’m sure it was unintentional,” I told him. After that he held my arm and pulled me up to my feet. “Can you walk?” he said.

          “Yes,” I said, but after a few steps, I found myself stumbling again. “Sorry. My eyes, I just couldn’t clearly see bumps on the road without glasses.” After that, I heard a sigh before I felt Jun-hyung pulling me up like a baby and placed my arm around his’.

          “Don’t dare walk alone, okay?” Jun-hyung said. He started leading me someplace I wasn’t sure of. My poor eyesight failed me big time and the only thing I was sure of was that we were heading back to the series of stalls.

          After a while Jun-hyung and I entered a white walled building. He led me to a seat and told me, “stay here and don’t move.” He walked away, and even though my sight were blurred, I could recognize his figure vanishing through the orange and the sound of a door opening and closing. So I waited, but it was taking him so long.

          I stood up and slowly walked to the direction of the orange color, until I was able to touch it and recognize it as a smooth wooden door. I traced my hand to its side until I felt the knob, but then it suddenly turned and the door opened, pushing me to the tiled flooring.

          “Mae-sshi, I told you to stay,” I heard Jun-hyung say. “The doctor wants to see you,” he said as he pulled me up.

          “What? Doctor? Are we at a hospital? Why would you take me here?” I said.

          “You’re seriously asking me those questions?” Jun-hyung said. He opened the door and led me to the clinic. Inside, I saw this blur of what I recognize to be a doctor, primarily because he was wearing white.

          “Good morning miss,” the doctor said, “here, wear this.” He held out something in front of me and I took it. It was slightly heavy and oddly shaped, but soon I recognized it as a pair of eye glasses, so I wore it on my eyes.

          “Can you clearly see everything?” the doctor said. This time, I could make out the features of his face, only slightly blurry. The doctor then took some things from a box and placed them into the glasses. They were lenses. “How about now?”

          “Better, sir,” I said. He then asked me to read the row of letters on the visual test behind him.

          “Good,” the doctor said, “come a day after tomorrow and I promise, your new eye glasses are already prepared.”

          “New glasses?” I said. The odd looking glasses were already off and so my sight was back to blur. “Jun-hyung! Where is my old glasses?” I could make out his figure coming close. Then he helped me put on my eyeglasses.

          “Jun-hyung, I don’t need new glasses,” I told him.

          “O, yes you do. You can even ask the doctor about it,” I looked at the doctor, and he nodded at me. “Besides, your glasses are already ruined,” Jun-hyung said. “Don’t worry, I’ll pay for it.”

          “Aish, Paying for it is not the problem,” I said, “I was actually already planning to get contact lenses.”

          “Good!” Jun-hyung suddenly said, “Because that’s what I actually wanted to get for you.” Jun-hyung took back my eye-glasses, and after a while, put a small container on my hand.

          “Let me help you with that,” the doctor said, and soon after, the new lenses fit my eyes. I looked for Jun-hyung right away, but when I found him, the look in his eyes was something I didn’t expect. “Beautiful,” he muttered lowly, but I didn’t fail to hear it. That moment, a weird feeling started to creep into my chest.