Unknown

When Red Met Black and White

Chapter 20:

 

          "Congratulations ice prince," Gi-kwang said, "apparently you got it right."

          "He got it right? What do you mean?" Doo-joon finally asked. L smirked and Hyun-seung was the one to speak. "I told you before, dress that joker up and he becomes a dragon."

          "What do you think Mae?" L said, though it was obvious that he didn't need an answer. He was right. It was Jun-hyung, and I felt certain that it was him.

          "Ladies and gentlemen, young master Jason, and his beautiful fiancée, Catherine Yoo," the emcee said. As if on cue, all the servants clapped their hands, and soon everybody imitated them. "Now let music fill the air, and let the ball begin," the elder master announced. Jun-hyung led the "fiancée" named Catherine to the center of the dance floor and danced a simple waltz.

          "Would you like to get a closer look?" L held out his hand in front of me.

          "How about your girlfriend? I came here with Gette earlier."

          "I know," L said, "she actually brainstormed this plan with me, so you don't have to worry." With that I took L's hand.

          He led me to the same dance floor and we danced. Every time there would be a turn, L made sure that we were dancing near the other couple and I would be exactly looking at Jun-hyung.

          "So, how's your observation?" L said.

          His hair was different: from messy, jagged hair, to a neat, wavy one. Aside from that, it was apparent that he wore make up over the same, old, small eyes and lips which always bore an impending frown.

          "I'm sure it's him," I told him. Even though the crowd started dancing with us, my eyes never failed to see the similarities.

          "Did he see you?" L muttered close to me. I nodded. "Is he looking at you now?"

          "Well, yeah, I guess," I told him after a turn.

          "Good," suddenly L held my wrist tightly which made me yelp.

          "L! What - you're hurting me! Let me go!" I said as L continued pulling me harshly out of the hall, to a hallway leading to a nearby balcony. There he pinned me against a wall. "God damn it! Whatever you're planning to do, just stop it!" I screamed from the top of my lungs.

          "Shh, trust me, okay?" I started to panic when L dipped his head to my shoulder, so I instantly stomped onto his foot and clashed my head against his.

          When he fell on the floor while clutching his forehead, I took the chance to run away.

          Tears were almost blurring my eyes, yet I continued running to the other end of the hallway. Suddenly I bumped into someone. "I'm sor~" I wasn't able to finish my words. It was as if time stopped and all I felt was the urge to hug the person in front of me. "J-Jun-hyung," I said in between my sniffles, "I'm glad to see you again."

          I heard him release a shaky breath. For a moment I thought he will try to calm me down, but then he removed my arms around him instead. "Ms. Aria, please cater to the needs of this fine lady. Make sure she's comfortable," he said before turning away.

          "Jason, who is she? Do you know her?" I didn't even notice the lady named Catherine standing behind when I threw myself to him. Jun-hyung glanced at me for a second before saying the words which I swore broke my heart to pieces.

          "I have no idea, maybe some girl grandfather knew," I heard him say before he left.

          "J-Jun-hyung, wait!" I said, but he didn't look back. I called him out again, and again, but he was busy with the girl he was with. I tried to follow them when they entered a room, but guards in black suits prevented me from going further. They took me by the arm and brought me back to the dance hall.

          "Mae, where were you?" Gette said as soon as I entered the hall. "Thanks sir, I'll take her from here," Gette said before she assisted and settled me down a bench. I still couldn't believe what happened earlier that evening. I knew it was him, he felt like him, but his actions screamed that he wasn't.

          "Yah, what was that for? My head still hurts," L said as he approached Gette and me.

          "I want to go home," I told them as I wipe away the last traces of tears on my eyes. Gette gasped before she turned to L. "What did you do?" she said in an angry yet hushed voice.

          "Nothing!" L told her. Of course my protective best friend didn't accept that reason. She glared at L for a long time and I could see how L became uneasy with it.

          "It's alright," I said just to cut the impending war. "L just scared me a little, but I'm alright. I'm just tired, that's all."

          The two understood that I didn't want to stay in that place anymore, so they told the other Infinite members that we were leaving. Before we left, I saw L talk to Doo-joon. They seemed serious, but I didn't pay any attention anymore. I just want to get out of that place, fast.

          The drive back home remained silent. Except from L's constant lines of sorry, no one really asked why I suddenly wanted to go home. When I arrived home, Gette insisted to stay for a little while.

          "Mae, tell me what happened," Gette muttered beside me. Apparently her negative feelings detector was already on. "I saw Jason go out of the hall a few moments after L pulled you outside. Did you see each other?"

          "Y-yeah, we did but...we got it wrong," I told her. I tried hard to be strong and keep my tone even. Breaking down was the last thing I wanted to do that time. "It wasn't Jun-hyung," I told her. Gette must have noticed that I was uncomfortable telling her about it because she told me to rest instead.

          "Call me tomorrow if you need someone to talk to, okay?" Gette told me, "I'll see you on Monday."

          I bade her goodbye and decided to rest. I tried to sleep, but hours passed and sleep refused to come, since I couldn't stop thinking: if Jason wasn't Jun-hyung, then where could he possibly be?