Paradise (Part 1)

When Red Met Black and White

Chapter 24: Paradise

          I was left in that corridor, my mind was still blank of any answer after the shock of my verification. He was Jun-hyung, but the questions remain. Why did he become Jason? Why would he leave his previous life and be someone else? I was so frustrated that I decided to go back to our room. I stomped my foot - probably a bit more girly-looking than I intended to be - and shoved my knuckles in the pocket of my school uniform.

          That was when I found it. A note written in white paper with a familiar script on it. "Go to B2ST. I'll meet you there. I promise."

          The feeling was unexplainable. The first defense of my mind was to doubt whether Jun-hyung meant it or not. But deep inside of me, the feeling of joy wanted to overflow.

          There were no signs of Jun-hyung or Catherine, but Gette and L were already there. I came in without making my presence known right away. Because of that, I was able to notice the atmosphere that I haven't noticed before.

          L held Gette's hands in a way that reminded me the way my father held my mom's hands before he left, wearing that uniform I used to like. On the other hand, the way Gette looked down on their linked hands reminded me of the way mom looked down on that triangular folded flag an officer gave her that day, the day when my 9-year old mind accepted and learned the fact that life is too unpredictable. That every moment in life should be cherished.

          The more that I watched them, the more I felt the urge to separate their hands, hold them on both of mine and put those smiles - smiles of hope - back on their faces.  But then it wasn't I who broke them out of their own world.

          Woo-hyun came in calling out for L. "L! Were -" Woo-hyun glanced on me, "-oh hi miss beautiful -" and turned back to L, “were up next, we should go back now."

          L withdrew his hand and was about to leave, but he turned back around and hugged Gette tightly before he smiled at me and went out of the room with Woo-hyun.

          "What was that?" I asked when Gette and I were alone.

          "Uh, that was... L making me feel better," Gette said, and of course I asked her why. "We had our first real fight. I don't really..." she doesn't want to talk about it, so to show my gratitude, I didn't bother asking anymore. But of course my attention doubled. Looking out for significant body language and facial expressions is as meaningful as words coming out of one's mouth.

          "Where have you been?" she asked instead.

          "Around," I said as I moved to a seat closer to her.

          "And did something happen when you're around?" she said, making imaginary quotation marks in the air.

          "Well, I sort of... “I moved even closer and whispered in her ear, "I came across Jun-hyung."

          "And?" Gette said. I pulled the note out of my pocket and showed her the message. In an instant, her face brightened. "Mae, it's so sweet! I'm so happy for you!"

          "You think I should go?”

          "You must go," Gette held my hand, "Mae, he's taking steps to be with you. He's fighting for you!"

          "But..." I stopped myself. I knew that I shouldn't tear her away from here. Not when she and L had an unsolved problem.

          "Would you like me to come with you?" Gette suddenly said.

          "But how about L?"

          "He can manage," Gette said. That afternoon we went to the bar where B2ST performs.

 

          "Omo! Mae sshi?" Yo-seob said as soon as we got in the bar. "What are you doing here?" I pulled out the note and gave it to him who in turn handed it to Doo-joon.

          “Ah, so I see Jun-hyung wanted you to come with us in our vacation," Doo-joon said. Jun-hyung. They called him by his name. So it was just me who didn't believe it was him after the party?

          "Vacation?"

          "Yeah! Like bonding time for the group!" it was apparent that Yo-seob was ecstatic about it. "Actually, we're leaving today."

          Today?

          "Mae! You should go!" Gette told me.

          "But I don't have things with me."

          "It's alright," Hyun-seung said. "We'll be going to the beach. We can go on a shop to buy you some clothes."

          "Okay, but..." I'll be with guys, alone. Wouldn't that be a sin?

          "Mae, don't worry too much," Gette said. "How about I lend you some clothes?"

          "That's not it," I said,” It is just that I realized that... I'd be the only girl here."

          "Then Gette would come," Dong-woon said. I was about to protest but Gette said, "Can I come too?"

          "Of course, pretty ladies are very much welcome," Gi-kwang said. I thought only Woo-hyun got that type of move. Apparently I was wrong.

          "Hey, the girl you're talking to has a boyfriend," I told him right away.

          "Oops, I'm sorry, I didn't know," he backtracked, "but if you still want to come, feel free to come."

          "I want to," she said before looking at me. "How about your boyfriend?" I asked her.

          "This is probably what we need," she said, "space."

          "But, how about Infinite? The contest?"

          "It's televised, don't worry," Dong-woon said, "So, are you going?" I sighed. What more can I say?

          The trip was supposed to be long, but not quiet at all. The boys were too excited and they couldn't contain it. They were singing most of the times, so loud sometimes they were out of tune, but most of the times were concert-like. On the other hand, Gette was sitting beside me, her eyes were looking outside the car.

          “I thought you want this,” I said.

          “I do, but,” Gette said, “but I haven't talked to my mom about this. She would probably be worried and would get mad and the first person to whom she'd channel all her anger will be Myung-soo.”

          “Would you like to go home?” I asked, and she nodded.

          “I'll just go home to let her know about this,” Gette said. “By the way, may I borrow your phone? Mine's dead. ” I took out my hand phone and handed it to her. “I'll just return to you when I get back, will that be okay?”

          “Sure, just... take care of it, okay?”

          “I will. If I don't return by tomorrow, mom probably didn't allow me to go here,” Gette said.

          “What? But how about me?” I said.

          “We'll take care of you,” Hyun-seung said. “Aside from that, Jun-hyung will probably be there, if not tonight, by tomorrow, so you don't have to worry about feeling out of place, okay?” Gette boarded a taxi after that, and we continued on our journey. Every now and then the guys would try to include me to their chats, and it was incredibly nice to talk to people who I never really got to talk about things that are just... fun and trivial.

          “Can I ask you something?” Everybody looked at me silently, waiting for the question I was saying. “What did you feel when you verified that it's... him?”

          “You mean when we verified that Jun-hyung is Jun-hyung?” Gi-kwang said. “Relieved, of course. That guy doesn't really talk, but we're friends, and when he's in trouble, we worry a lot about him.”

          “I was simply happy to see him safe and... good-looking,” Dong-woon said. “Never thought he'd improve that much.”

          “But aren't you wondering why he suddenly became rich?” I asked.

          “He found his remaining family, that's it,” Hyun-seung said. “They probably thought we're not the type of kids Jun-hyung should spend time with, but then again...”

          “It's Jun-hyung's choice,” Doo-joon finished the statement. “He had went through a lot of things, and I'm sure, the luxury of the life he has right now is something he deserve.” Doo-joon was right. Maybe I was just over-thinking about things.

          “By the way, hyung said he prepared a gift for each one of us when we reach the resort,” Yo-seob said. “What do you think could it be?”

 

          It didn't take us long until we started smelling the salty ocean. It was already dark when we reached the resort, but the place was brightened by the torch lights every few meters. As soon as we entered the resort, a tall attendant welcomed us and girls in Hawaiian costumes put wreaths of flower around our neck.

          “Young master Yong wouldn't make it tonight,” the attendant said, “he said he has things to arrange with the members of Crystal Clear, but he said that you must relax and enjoy the amenities available in our resort until he arrives.”

          “Cool!” Yo-seob said before tugging the luggage he have.

          “Ms. Rallos? Mr. Yong had us prepare all your clothes in your room,” the attendant said, “He was hoping you would like the clothes he picked for you.”

          “He picked clothes for me?” Sweet, but... “How many clothes did he pick for me?”

          “Around twenty outfits, my lady,” the attendant said.

          “What?!” I said, “How long are we expected to stay here?”

          “For a long time, my lady, it's a vacation.” Suddenly, I heard Yo-seob calling me from afar. “Mae! You have to come in! You have to see this!” he said in a very child-like tone.

          “I guess I should come in,” I said. “How about you...”

          “My name is Aria, my lady,” the attendant said. “You must be tired and hungry, you must come in and enjoy the dinner we prepared.” I thanked her as she walked me to the beach house. As soon as we were a few feet from the house, I could already smell the food cooking from the kitchen. The place was so bright and it felt so warm and festive, yet homey and peaceful, that I wanted to get inside right away. When I got it, that's when my tears suddenly burst from my eyes.