Just When All Things Started to Become Sunny

When Red Met Black and White

 

Chapter 11: Just When All Things Started to Become Sunny

“…tomorrow will be that start of our dates,” L’s last statement kept on ringing inside my head throughout the night and the next morning. But I never thought hearing it from him will be that hard to take in.

          It was everything that I worked for, but it felt weird. It felt unreal, as if everything wasn’t supposed to happen. I had beaten L in the duel, and gotten the chance to date him, but two of the people who already became a huge part of my life hated me.

          “Fine, if you don’t want to talk to me, then don’t,” I said as I stash my phone back in my pocket. I was walking to our classroom when I heard that Gette filed a sickness leave. I tried calling her but she didn’t pick up. I tried calling her again, but her phone was deactivated.

          “Good morning?” a voice said which actually made me jump.

          “L sshi!” I said. “You sacred me…”

          “Sorry,” he said with a wide grin which quickly faded, “What’s wrong?”

          “It’s Gette,” I said. “She’s not talking to me and she doesn’t even answer my calls. I wanted to visit her but I don’t think she would appreciate me coming to her house. Maybe I would just let it cool for a few days.”

          “Do you think that’s the best thing to do?” L said, which made me wonder. He sounded like he already knew Gette.

          “Of course,” I said, “Yesterday wasn’t the first time we fought. Don’t worry, we’ll be back together in no time.”

          “Okay,” L said after a small nod, “Then how about we forget about it and have some fun?”

          “What?” I said, disbelieving his words. Although deep inside I was jumping up and down, I was feeling a bit worried and I didn’t know why. L never skipped class for nothing. That is as far as I remember. “H-how about class?”

          “Nah,” he then pulled me before saying, “who likes school anyway?” L and I went to the bus stop and boarded a bus to town. “Where do you want to go?” he asked me when we got off.

          “I don’t really know,” I said.

          “Come on, you’re spoiling the day!” he said. “Don’t think about yesterday or worry for tomorrow, just enjoy this very moment, arasso?” L flashed me his smile that makes him look like a small child.

          “A- uh, arasso,” I managed to say. “How about we watch a movie?” I said. L smiled before he said, “Sure! Shall we go?” L held out his hand in front of me. I looked at his hand, and I didn’t know why but the first thought that came to me wasn’t to hold it, but the thought of Jun-hyung’s hands when he held mine. “Sure,” I loosely held his’ as we walked towards the movie theater.

          “Shall we watch sci-fi or action?” L spoke while he eyed the movie posters. I looked at him as he narrowed his eyes to get a clearer view of the poster. While doing so, he bit his lower lip and I swear my heart beat fast, not because of the sight, but because of a memory.

          “Mae sshi, are you alright?” L said which snapped me out of the trance I was into. “Did you hear what I said? I said do you prefer romantic comedy films?”

          “Yes!” I said right away which made L chuckle.

          “You’re not so excited, aren’t you?” L told me before going to the booth to buy tickets. Gosh, why do I always embarrass myself in front of him?

          The movie we watched was entitled, “Why Your Crush Doesn’t Like You.” It was about a girl with thick brows that matches her curly hair and weird outfit who was left by her previous boyfriend and unexpectedly fell in love with her boss. I understood the whole story of the girl, primarily because L and I were silently watching the whole time.

          “The story was nice, wasn’t it?” L told me when the credits of the movie rolled up and people started standing to get out of the theater.

          “It was,” I said, “it kind of reminded me of Betty. In the end, she still found true love in spite of her... looks”

          “Ah, yes,” L said. I was waiting for him to say something else about the movie, but then he said, “So where do you want to go next?” It kind of disappointed me, but I thought maybe L was just not into romantic films.

          “How about we get some ice cream?” I said. We went to the ice cream shop and bought two cups, one chocolate for me, and one vanilla for him. As we walked away from the shop, I noticed one familiar white building on the opposite block. I tried to remember when was the time I went there, but then a man in white coat came out and turned the hanging sign from ‘the doctor is out’ to ‘the doctor is in’.

          “Is he your optometrist?” L said.

          “Kind of…how did you know?” I said. L pointed to an ad posted in the window of the clinic. “Your contact lenses look exactly like those,” he said, “new edition transition contact lenses huh… That’s cool.”

          “It is…” I said awkwardly. First, the holding hands. Second, the warmth when he guided me to the doctor. “I didn’t know you like vanilla ice cream,” I said while L and I walked while consuming our food, just to drop the topic.

          “Well, it goes great with cola,” he said, which made me look at him. He must have noticed that I was puzzled with his answer since he explained further, “I love cola.”

          “Ah, so you put vanilla ice cream on top of your cola,” I said. “How does it taste?”

          “Awesome,” L said with an unusual brightness. “And you know, it tastes even better when you put chocolate syrup on top.”

          “Really?” I said, failing to hide my amusement from my tone. “Where do you get those ideas?”

          “I got it from –” L suddenly stopped and although a little, I still noticed that he lost some of his brightness. “A friend told me about it. It’s called coke float.”

          “Ah, sounds nice,” I said, “I think I’ll get one next time.” L and I continued walking. I looked around and the place started to become familiar with me.

          “Mae sshi,” L suddenly spoke. I looked at him, and he was looking at the signage of a familiar establishment. “Let’s go in,” he said.

          “Good day to you missy! It is nice to see you again with your…” the manager stopped his welcomes as soon as he took sight of the guy I was with. “Boyfriend?” he said.

          “No –” I said but L spoke, “No, but maybe soon.”

          “So!” The manager excitedly went to L. “It’s your first time in Crazy Music shop, how may I help you?”

          “Show me your guitars,” L said and the manager took him to the direction of the displays. “Sir, feel free to roam around and see our products!” The manager said before backing away and looking at me. He then closed the gap and whispered, “I’m so sorry about you and your boyfriend.”

          “No! It’s alright,” I said. “It’s… it’s not your fault.”

          “Then why?” the manager said with sympathetic eyes, “Too serious? Old looking? Third party?”

          “None of the above,” I said.

          “Aww… it’s alright, he’ll come back to you, I promise!” the manager said, “You two are meant for each other.”

          “Uh, Mae sshi?”

          “L! How long have you been standing there?”

          “Just now,” L said in an unusual sad tone, “I suddenly felt cold,” he said.

          “Oh,” I was about to touch his forehead, but then he suddenly moved away from me.

          “I just need rest,” he said.

          “Then, shall I accompany you home?” I told him but he shook his head and said, “No, this is your day, you should go to a park or something.”

          “I can manage myself,” he said. I looked at him as he walked past beside me. He wasn’t wobbling, so I thought, maybe he just had a mild headache… or an upset stomach.

          “So, are you going to buy anything?” the manager asked me.

          “Maybe next time,” I said before going home. How can I come back to school when my supposed to be best-day-ever was ruined by a stupid headache and the constant thought of the person I used to hate, who hated me back just when I started to feel something for him?