The Truth (Part 2)

When Red Met Black and White

“So you also knew about it?” I said. Sung-jong walked past without saying anything. “Sung-jong please, you have to tell me!” Sung-jong stopped and looked at me. “Please, I can't ask Gette anymore especially now that she's sick. L didn't come so the only person so can tell what's happening is you!”

          Sung-jong looked around before looking back at me. “Let's not talk here. Follow me,” he said. He took me to a cozy coffee shop. “Now, ask me,” he said.

          “L and Gette,” I started, though the thoughts felt like they flew away when I was closer to knowing the truth. “When did they meet?”

          “Ten years ago,” Sung-jong said, “surely you're familiar with the story of Myung-soo's life?”

          “That L used to live in the streets and used to be... a street thief?” I said, remembering the time when L almost cried telling me his story.

          “Yes,” Sung-jong said, “Did he tell you how he got out of that life?”

          “He told me that a lady helped him and took him in,” I said.

          “And that lady is Gette's mother, Mrs. Domingo,” Sung-jong said. “I see, that's what he didn't tell you.”

          “Myung-soo used to be out on the streets, making living out of taking things from others,” Sung-jong said. “Then one day he met his nightmare. He was caught by the man on the act of taking the wallet from his coat pocket. The man hit him and hurt him in front of a lot of people. Then an angel came.”

          “It was Mrs. Domingo?” I said.

          “Yes,” Sung-jong continued, “She protected him and paid for the damages. Took him in and for eight years he let him live in her own house with only one condition.”

          “What condition is it?”

          “That he will never go near her daughter, whatever happens,” Sung-jong said.

          “But then what happened?” I asked.

          “Then fate happened,” Sung-jong said. “I remember Myung-soo told me what happened that day when he laid his eyes to the daughter he wasn't supposed to meet. He told me, he was walking at the hallway, looking for Mrs. Domingo when he heard a piano playing from the room that was usually empty.”

          “Gette was in a boarding school until junior high,” I said.

          “Yes,” Sung-jong said, “Myung-soo peeked inside and there he saw her, playing in front of a huge grand piano. He said he was mesmerized by what he heard and saw, so he opened the door wider. Little did he know Mrs. Domingo was there and she caught him.”

          “Auntie scolded him, and he was so scared that he will be kicked out so he told her that he wanted to learn how to play the piano. Unfortunately the only piano in the house was the one in Gette's room so... Myung-soo had to settle with the guitar.”

          “And of course that wasn't the end of it,” I said.

          “No it wasn't,” Sung-jong paused and took a sip of the tea he ordered. “Do you know the game where you will talk by singing a line from the song and the other will reply by singing another line from a different song?” I nodded at him. “They sort of did that,” Sung-jong said. “Every afternoon, Gette will sit in front of her piano and Myung-soo with his guitar. They don't sing, but they could hear the songs the other played. That's how they talked to each other.”

          Sung-jong must have notice the disbelief in my expression when he said, “Slightly poetic huh, like modern day Romeo and Juliet.”

          “But then L doesn't live there anymore,” I said, “What happened?”

          “Mrs. Domingo thought that since her daughter will soon become a lady, she decided to find Myung-soo a separate house, a separate job, and a scholarship in a prestigious school. Meaning, he will be living alone from then on.”

          “Myung-soo got the house, and the job, and the scholarship because of his guitar competence, but then he turned the scholarship down to transfer schools.”

          “To our school?” I said.

          “Where he met Gette again,” he said. “And where the complicated thing called love bloomed.”

          “Gette confessed to him, but he turned her down,” I said while I analyze, “but then how come L and Gette seem to be in a relationship right now?”

          “L turned her down because he believes that Gette doesn't deserve him,” Sung-jong said. “He turned her down because he wanted to improve himself. He wanted to become better so that when the time comes Mrs. Domingo would accept his feelings for Gette.”

          “But then why would Gette tell him to date me?” I asked.

          “Because … you're her best friend,” He said.

          “That's it?” I said. “I'm her best friend and that's it? She let go of the love of her life because of me? That's not enough reason!”

          “That's enough for her,” Sung-jong said before finishing his tea. “That's all that I know. I'm friends with both of them but there are things that Myung-soo kept hidden from me. I think you should talk directly to them.”