The Truth (Part1)

When Red Met Black and White

Chapter 16: The Truth

 

          It was almost five in the afternoon when a doctor came and checked Gette's vital signs. “She had so much emotional stress. I do recommend that we let her rest until she gains consciousness,” the doctor said.

          “Mae, it's okay if you want to go home already,” Mrs. Domingo told me when the doctor left. “You're her best friend, but that doesn't mean that you have to really be with her until she gains consciousness. You have to take care of yourself too.”

          “Don't worry auntie, I'll just wait for a little while and then I'll go ahead,” I told her. She left and I was left alone inside the room with the unconscious Gette. The truth is that aside from waiting my friend wake up, I was also waiting for someone to visit her – L.

          Gette wasn't really vocal about her opinions on L. She never told me her thoughts about Infinite and their popularity but when I looked back during those times when we had an encounter with them, it is hard to deny that my best friend has a special connection with them. Especially to L.

          Infinite members call him Myung-soo, because it is his first name. L let only close friends call him Myung-soo, and there were a lot of cases when Gette call him Myung-soo.

          When Infinite invited us to their band practice, L introduced the band to us since “he's the only one who knows” both of us.

          And until earlier I didn't even suspect that she's the girl L had been loving for the past three years.

          Why would she hide it from me? And why would L allow that to happen? L told me that the girl she loves asked him to date me. I still didn't suspect. How stupid am I? My train of thoughts were cut when a person came in to the room. He's the person I least expected to come.

          “You're still here,” Sung-jong said as soon as he saw me.

          “Yes, and I'm expecting someone else to come,” I told him directly. I had no time to go around the bush. But then Sung-jong didn't answer me and instead he walked towards Gette's bed. He felt her forehead before pulling out a teddy bear from his backpack and placed it beside my friend.

          “Who are you expecting to come?” Sung-jong didn't look at me when he spoke. He was busy placing a purple eye cover on the teddy bear's eyes.

          “The person who told you that Gette's sick again,” I said, “Where is he?” Sung-jong didn't answer right away. “I said where is L?” Sung-jong then took out a small dinosaur stuffed toy and placed it on the other side of my friend. 

          “I don't know,” he finally said.  “He didn't say.” Then he took out a rose, a box of chocolates and a red case from the bag and placed it over the side table, beside the nightlight.

          “What... are those?” I finally asked after he opened the red case which revealed the silver ring it contained.

          “Stuffed toys... rose and ring,” Sung-jong then took out a phone and earphones and carefully placed it on Gette's ears.

          “I know, but why are you putting all of those around her?” I said, emphasizing how annoyed I was with his words and actions.

          “None of your business,” Sung-jong said before quickly taking his backpack and walked out of the room. I took my things and quickly followed him. Like him, I quickly bid Mrs. Domingo goodbye before we got out of the house.

          “Will you stop? Following! Me!?” Sung-jong screamed on my face when we got a few blocks away from Gette's house.

          “I'll stop once I get the answers to my questions,” I said and clearly Sung-jong was as annoyed as I was. “Now tell me, from whom does all of those things you've left inside Gette's room came from?”

          “Us,” Sung-jong said.

          “Who is us?” I said.

          “Infinite,” Sung-jong said. “Those gifts are from everyone in the group. The dinosaur, from Dong-woo hyung; the teddy bear, from Sung-yeol hyung; the rose and ring, from Woo-hyun hyung; the purple eye cover, from Hoya hyung. Sung-gyu hyung recorded a piano solo on the phone and I bought the chocolates for her. Happy?”

          “How about L?” I asked.

          “Nothing,” Sung-jong said before continuing his walk. I ran after him and asked, “how come he didn't send her anything when he told her that he loves her?” Sung-jong stopped and looked at me. “You knew?” Sung-jong said.

          “So you also knew about it?” I said. Sung-jong walked past without saying anything. “Sung-jong please, you have to tell me!” Sung-jong stopped and looked at me. “Please, I can't ask Gette anymore especially now that she's sick. L didn't come so the only person so can tell what's happening is you!”

                Sung-jong looked around before looking back at me. “Let's not talk here. Follow me,” he said.