Agreement

Overweight, yet Loving You

Looking around him, Jongin allows his eyes to adjust to the dim lighting provided by the moon, before spotting a large shadow crouched near the apricot tree in Baekhyun's front yard.

"Hello?" his breath sent puffs of white cloud into the dark night, "is that Yun-ssi?"

A small voice sniffles hurriedly, rubbing at her eyes quickly before turning to face the sound of Kai's approaching footsteps, "Yes, I'm here, who is this?"

"My name is...uh...Kai..."

 

Some silence passes awkwardly between the two as they try to apprehend a way to continue the short-lived conversation.

 

"So uh-" two voices suddenly speak at the same time.

"You first," Kai cracks a quick smile, before politely gesturing for Yun to continue.

Yun laughs, her voice a little hoarse from the crying, "I just wanted to say...I agree with you."

"On what?"

"I am ugly, and needless to say - I am too overweight for anyone to even consider me romantically; that much I know."

His face turns uncomfortably guilty for a second, "Uh actually-"

"No, please don't apologize," Yun cuts him off abruptly, already guessing his intention, "I know the truth, and although it hurts to hear it - I treasure the fact that you are honest and do not wish to lie to me."

 

For the first time since joining SM entertainment, Kai felt unsure of himself. Yun made him remember the days when he was still a humble trainee; the days when no one knew his name and all he ever wanted to do was dance. He admits he's misjudged the girl. Although her appearance classifies her as a somewhat monster; her heart is as pure as fresh snow, and her mind is as clear as glass. 

"Yun, I'm sorry. I am a blunt person who does not know how to tell lies, although that trait often brings me trouble...but I do not want to apologise for calling you fat; I am only sorry for not getting to know you before making judgments, and I am sorry for hurting you without thinking twice."

Her sad smile tells Jongin that he is forgiven, "I understand, Kai."

"Please, call me Jongin - Kai is only my stage name."

"Jong...in..." Yun tries the syllables cautiously as they blend perfectly within her vocal range. 

Jongin closes his eyes, "My birth name is so plain that I hardly ever allowed people to call me by it - but you make it sound like the richest notes from a world famous composition."

Yun blushes a deep scarlet, "Please, you're embarrassing me now--"

 

"How about learning to dance?"

 

"What?" Where on earth did that come from? Yun thinks to herself. Did Baekhyun tell him about Operation Weight Loss?
 
"Dance. I said," Kai smirks, "I won't take back what I said about your body shape - but although I won't discriminate you for it, I still don't think it is a commendable thing to be in possession of."

"That's...true..." Yun cannot deny Jongin's words as they reinforce the truth she's tried hard to shy away from, "but I've never danced before..."

"To start with, of course we can't go straight into the complicated choreography used by idol groups, but I could help you train on basic stamina and muscle-building before I teach you any moves." He looks into Yun's eyes intently, "You have the perfect personality any sane person would love, but appearance is what decides whether people want to love that."

 

"What's on the inside is more important than what is on the outside," Baekhyun suddenly speaks up, strolling towards them with his hands grouchily stuck in his pockets and shooting daggers at Kai through his eyes. "I would never allow Yun to learn from a teacher like you."

Yun does a double take, So Baekhyun didn't tell Jongin about the diet plan...Then they just happened to come up with the same idea?

 

"But what's on the outside, decides whether people want to find out about the inside."

 

Baekhyun sniffs disbelievingly, "be realistic Kai, how long do you think it will take her to learn even a simple choreography set designed by you? No, scratch that, how long do you think she'll have to train before she even so much as steps into your dance studio?"

"Kai...Jongin..." Yun follows Baekhyun's lead, "I would really like to thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'll be able to manage..."

"Exactly," Baekhyun speaks up again, "Kai you started jazz and ballet back in, what, third grade? Have a little consideration for someone who's nearing 22 years old and has never even done a demi-plié before!"

"It all depends on the teacher and the student, not on time," Jongin replies sharply.

"But you can't deny--"

"I was asking Yun, stop answering for her." Jongin glares at Baekhyun, effectively cutting him off, "So Yun, are you interested? I promise I'll try to make it fun, and as long as you limit the your calorie intake, you should be shedding pounds faster than you can blink!"

 

Yun thought hard for a moment, It is indeed very tempting...but would I make a fool of myself? What happens if I'm not good enough and end up disappointing everyone trying to help me? Is weight really that important? Enough for me to embarrass myself in front of this handsome stranger?

As if reading her thoughts, Jongin smiles, "Don't worry about anything, if you want to lose weight and enjoy yourself, accept me. It doesn't matter how talented you are, as long as you're willing to try and put in effort, I promise no one will dare to laugh at you. Taking the first step is always hardest, but once you've made the decision the hardest part is over."

Yun glances towards Baekhyun, as she always relies on Baekhyun to give her suggestions and help her make decisions. But this time, he only answers by staring intently back at her, giving no indication as to how she should reply.

At that moment, Yun understood that she was not alone in this, because both boys standing in front of her at that moment will definitely help her through every hardship that she may encounter. However, the decision must purely be her own, and no one else can speak on her behalf.

"I think..." Yun takes a deep breath, knowing that her final decision was right and that she has always wanted to rid herself of her physical disadvantage. "I think...it's time I stopped being a coward and do something about my weight.

...I will learn to dance, so please be my teacher."

 

Baekhyun smiles broadly, "Yun I don't want you to get hurt, but I think Kai is right - I can't protect you for life against those bastards that swear at you and call you horrible names, so the best possible way to keep you safe would be if you get rid of the weak point they always pick at."

"Sounds good," the boys previously exchanging hostile looks finally manage to exchange a small smile between them.

 

"Me too! I want to help too!" Sehun comes running from the house, followed by all the other boys of EXO, obviously having eavesdropped on the conversation.

"Me three, I can dance pretty well!" Luhan smiles warmly at Yun as he makes his way towards the trio.

"Well then it wouldn't make sense if I was left out of this as the main dancer in EXO-M, would it?" Lay joins everyone in the garden, followed by the rest of EXO as everyone gathers around in a huge circle.

 

"Thank you all, really," Yun whispers with a broken voice, and a few reassuring hands reach out to give a pat on her shoulder.

"No, thank you for being brave and wanting to change yourself for the benefit of society," Baekhyun chuckles, "although I think I'll really miss your soft, puffy cheeks when you lose weight..."

"It's not for the benefit of society," Jongin cuts in, "it's for her own benefit that she's doing this. Society can only be a motivator, but 'to thine own self be true' is the most important focus; if Yun continues to be overweight, the only one who will get hurt in the long term will be her heart."

"Are you...a Shakespeare fan?" Yun giggles as his blush warms the tanned tone of his skin.

Kyungsoo hides a smirk and nods, "He's always quoting him, it's so lame!"

"Is not!" Jongin pouts childishly, his behaviour changing quickly with the appearance of his elder friend.

It's amazing how fast he can transform from the arrogant and unsympathetic Kai to the cute and childish Jongin... Yun thinks to herself, amused by her new acquaintance's bipolar personality.

 

"All jokes aside, I'm only agreeing to this because I know how much Yun has suffered already," Baekhyun looks pointedly at Jongin, "I know how much she hates herself even more than the people who abuse her; so no matter what you do, don't make her sad, look after her, and mind your big mouth! She's had a hard life because of her size, and I expect you to never repeat what happened in my house tonight ever again, got it?"

"Telling me off with that baby-like face of your's is just hilarious," the dancer smirks, "but I understand, nagging old man!"

Yun chuckles at the two quarrelling as Baekhyun defends himself for nagging, "I'm thankful, really," she turns to Luhan, Lay, Sehun, and everyone else who stood quietly aside during their conversation, "I'm such a blessed person to have you all, so...please allow me to make you all dessert as a show of my gratitude now!"

A round of cheering follows her announcement, and Yun walks back into Baekhyun's house with an idiotic grin upon her face.