Disaster

Overweight, yet Loving You

"My sweet mister Teapot, who's the cutest girl in the world?" a woman asks, holding a crying child on her lap.

"Yun!" the same voice answers with a deep, muffled tone. "Yun is the cutest! I have never seen anyone as beautiful as her before!"

The woman smiles at her daughter, "Did you hear that? Yun, mister Teapot is telling you that you're the cutest girl he's ever met!"

Shaking her head, the 6 year old girl's eyelashes glisten with freshly shed tears. "Mum, my classmates all say that I'm fat. Mister Teapot doesn't have eyes, so he can't see that I'm fat."

"But Yun doesn't know that mister Teapot and all of his friends that Mum made using clay actually have thousands of tiny eyes on their body." The middle-aged woman holds her daughter's hands in her own, squeezing the soft plumpness with adoration. "Everyone in Mum's workshop had to be spun around really fast, burned in hot fire, and then polished. Clay have a special ability; they don't judge people based on what they look like, because the thousands of eyes on their body can see your heart."

"...Really?" the girl in her memories asks hopefully, "they won't say nasty things to me even if I'm fat?"

"No, honey, they won't be mean to you, you can trust mister Teapot..."

 

Yun suddenly jolts awake in the present. "Mum!" She cries out hoarsely, hands wanting to reach out, but eyes only seeing the darkness of the hospital ceiling and the IV drip attached to her arm.

Mum...she really won't be here anymore... Yun feels hot tears slide down her hairline, falling into the already-wet pillow behind her head. I wasn't even able to say goodbye in her last moments...I wasn't even able to show myself to her after losing weight, because of my own selfish problems. No one will comfort me when I'm sad anymore. No one will call me for dinner and tell me to eat as much as I want anymore. No one will tell me I'm great just the way I am anymore...I won't be anyone's most precious person anymore.

With each drip of the IV tube, a tear makes its way down Yun's face. That night, and for three more night after it...Lee Yun cried herself to sleep at night and cried herself awake in the morning.

 


 

News of her father's speedy remarriage came to Yun through her aunt. Her mother's inheritance had been swallowed whole by her father.

Yun wanted to scream at the knowledge that he took all of her mother's inheritance. The wife had not written a will, and by law all of her property and savings went to her spouse before her child. Perhaps she didn't write a will with the small hope that her husband would at least take care of their child if she gave him all the money. Yun doesn't know and doesn't want to guess, because either way, the reality contradicted those hopes.

Yun's father was greedy, selfish, narcissistic, and lazy. He didn't have the courage to make it big on his own in the harsh corporate world, and used marriage as a way to gain connections. He didn't have the affection of a father, and never even spared Yun so much as a smile despite her overachievement in academics and gentle personality. He never made any effort to get along with his family, and only maintained the image of a happy husband and father when he was under public scrutiny at work. He wanted everything, yet was unprepared to make any compromises, and sought his own autonomy and satisfaction thinking that Yun and her mother were only his stepping stones on the road towards a better future.

Yun decided that she hated her father just as much as he hated her. She hated that he married her mother because of her wealthy family. She hated that he gave life to her, yet used that as an excuse to abuse her because he felt like he had rights over her. She hated that he took all of her mother's money without any remorse, and spent it on buying his young, pretty wife a designer wedding dress without any care for the gossip that his previous wife's family had began to pass around.

 

Day after day Yun grieved for her poor mother who had lost her battle with cancer, and for herself, who had lost her battle with the weighing scale.

She felt sorry for herself; the one who had lost everything and everyone who had ever mattered to her. She lost Jongin, who she chased away with harsh and unreasonable words. She lost her mother, who was like the small ray of light that accompanied her through the dark nights. She lost her father, who was always distant but never like a stranger, as he was now with another woman in his arms. She lost her chance of debut, and her Bachelor's degree.

Most importantly, she lost her health.

She didn't have a future; she lost herself.

 

Food became impossible to swallow. The toilet began to seem too far away to walk to. The IV drip increased in frequency, and the liquid in the tube would change five times a day, just to maintain the girl's life.

Somewhere through all the tears and added medication and drowsiness and numbness, Jongin's face appeared in Yun's dreams. He would ask if she was okay with a worried face, and then drifted away, leaving her in a blanket of darkness.

 

The entertainment world goes into uproar while Yun sleeps. Kris leaves EXO to return to China. Taeyeon and Baekhyun are announced to be dating each other, and became the center of attack by upset fans with no mercy. The group's activities are postponed, and the members are left to their own devices while the company tried to figure out what to do with their situation.

It was after three weeks, when the doctor finally deemed it to be safe for Yun to decrease the amount of morphine in her blood, that she was able to gain full consciousnes. The first person she saw made her question her sanity after all the drugs she had injected into her body.

Kim Jongin.

 

He wasn't doing anything special, just taking a nap in the chair next to Yun's bed, heading lolling off his shoulder and arms crossed defensively. But just his mere presence gave Yun a mini heart attack.

"I thought you would never want to see me again, after all the things I said to you," Yun whispered, sitting up in her bed and watching Jongin with wonder. "Why didn't you run away?"

"...If I ran away," Jongin suddenly answered with his head still turned sideways and his eyes still closed, "who would look after you, Sleeping Beauty?"

Yun gasps, watching as the corners of the dancer's lips curl up in amusement.

"Am I too handsome?" he opens his eyes, looking straight at Yun and making her heart flutter, "stop looking at me, I'm shy you know."

 

Through the hospital nurse, Yun later learned that Jongin had stayed with her almost every day while she had been in bed. His schedule was emptied after their promotion rounds ended, and he made the hospital his second home in order to stay with the girl.

"It's too bad one of the members quit, even though that means you get to have him with you at your side," the nurse smiled teasingly. "I quite like EXO; get me your boyfriend's autograph some time if you don't want a dating scandal to get to the media!"

Yun swallowed back the lump that had formed in . Her eyes grew wet with happy tears, and she decided that she wanted to trust someone again - and that someone could only to be Kim Jongin.

 

As Jongin sat at her bedside peeling an apple later that day, Yun did something that she didn't think she would ever be able to initiate in her life.

But the moment just seemed so right; her feelings seemed to be in line with his for the first time, as far as Yun understood it.

 

She leaned over and planted a small kiss on his cheek.

 

Jongin looked up with obvious surprise, smiling uncontrollably before continuing to peel the fruit. He didn't say anything or do anything, but his smile told Yun that he wished she would do it again some day.

 

After a moment of blushing cheeks and shy silence, Jongin cleared his throat and burst out the first thing on his mind: "Oh by the way, did you hear about Kris and Baekhyun?"

Yun tilts her head, thinking about the gossip the nurse had told her earlier that day. "I've heard about Kris, but what about Baekhyun?"

"Oh, I'm surprised you don't know yet," Jongin continues peeling the apple without looking up, "the news came out a few days ago; Baekhyun and Taeyeon are in a relationship."

 


A/N: How might Yun react to this news? Baekhyun was her first love and only love for almost a decade afterall. Stay tuned for more! I'm writing as fast as a I can for next time!