Prologue

The Secrets of the Necklace

Year 2031 - Min Yuna (17 years old)

The sun was shining bright. I was too busy checking the view outside while my father was driving. Right beside me is my cousin and bestfriend, Subin. She was playing taptap on her phone, she noticed me looking at her, What? She mouthed. I rolled her eyes, and stared back at the window. “Nothing..... Umma, are we there yet?”

“Five more minutes, sweetie.”

I smiled, “Great.”

We arrived in a big mansion, My and Subin’s eyes widen as we stared at the house. “Woah.”

My parents motioned me to go down the car, as I and Subin followed. The mansion was so big compared to our house in Busan. Our life in Busan was so simple, and I actually didn’t even know my father owned such big companies in Korea, I recently knew it because of Subin’s nonstop mouth.

“Yah, Yuna. This is the bomb!” She chuckled as she slowly pulled me towards the house. I? laughed. When we entered the house, a grandmother was standing there. She was smiling. My parents immediately went to her.

“Hae in, Junhyung. It’s been 17 years.” She happily exclaimed as they exchanged hugs. “Eomonim. It’s been so long.”

Subin went upstairs, leaving me alone. The grandmother then looked at me, she smiled, and I smiled back. “Come here, Yuna-yah.” I wondered why she knows your name, but I still smiled to show respect.

You bowed politely, walking towards them slowly. “Annyeonghaseyo. Min Yuna imnida~”

The grandmother patted my head; she showed how much she adored you. Her eyes were started to become teary, making me all confuse. “You really look like her.”

I glanced at my parents and saw them smiling, not caring about what she said. “Nae?” She just smiled. Maybe she's talking about mom, but we don't look a like. 

“Eomonim, Yuna. We’ll be upstairs okay?” Mother said, as if giving us guys time to bond.

My parents left, me and the grandmother sat down in the couch. She took something from her bag. Which is a really beautiful necklace, she took my hands and gave me the necklace. “This is yours.”

I shook your head and stared at her, “But this is –”

“Take it, I’ll be sad if you don’t.” She argued, standing up eventually walking towards the doorway. “She loved you, and she sacrificed herself for you.” She said in a faint tone until she disappeared.

“Weird. I don't get it,” I mumbled, I stared at the necklace as a smile broke in my face. “This is pretty.”

“Yuna! Where did eomonim go?” Father asked, rushing downstairs.

“I don’t know. She said goodbye, and gave me this necklace.” I stood up and showed the necklace on my father’s face. My mother was behind him. Their eyes widen in surprise. “That necklace.” They stuttered a bit.

They exchanged glances, looking a bit surprised. “Take care of that.” My mother remarked. I smiled and nodded, hugging the both of them. “I will.” I went upstairs to rest. I sat on your bed and placed the necklace on my neck. I felt something weird right after I wore it, but maybe it's just because of the tiredness from travelling.