No Longer Naming Chapters a.k.a. Fourteen

Who Ever Thought It would Be Like This

 

The voice came from behind me. I jumped and turned to see who it was. Whoever it was, he was tall and very handsome. He had a sweet face. His hair was between brown and blonde, and long. He was very familiar to me, but I couldn't quite place him. He was dressed nicely, like he’d just come from a nice dinner or something. I’m sure I looked like hell.

“You’re bleeding. My house isn’t far from here. May I take you there and help you?” he smiled at me. I blinked and nodded slowly. He chuckled and moved towards me. I jumped and he paused, smiling, then he bent and picked me up, cradling me against his chest. “My name is Hyun Joong.”

I tried to make myself as light as I possibly could so I wouldn’t burden him, but his arms felt strong. I recognized his name. “I’m Yoon Soo Yun,” I answered quietly. “Thank you for helping me.”

“What am I supposed to do when I see a beautiful woman crying in the street?” he said, chuckling after. I blushed. “What were you running from?”

I swallowed hard. “To be honest, my problems. Well, problem.”

He nodded. Somehow, he managed to walk up stairs, open a door, close the door, and take me into his apartment without having to situate me. I was rather impressed. He carried me into his bathroom and gently placed me on the counter. I checked out my feet. They were bleeding more than I thought. I cringed. Hyun Joong bent down and got a few wash cloths and towels out from under the sink. He wet the wash cloths and started gently dabbing my feet with them, cleaning them for me. I tried to keep still despite the pain.

I was amazed that a stranger was so willing to clean my feet for me. Not only that, but carry me into his own apartment and help me. I was touched. What a gentleman. He started to bandage my feet with the most gentle hands I’d ever witnessed. Then he looked up at me with soft eyes, making my heart hammer against my ribcage.

“Would you like a glass of wine, Miss Soo Yun?” he asked me in his sweet voice. Miss? Omo, no. Don’t call me that.

I blushed again, laughing nervously. “You don’t have to call me miss. And I… I would very much like a glass of wine.”

He smiled and stood up. He put an arm under my legs and against my back, lifting me up like I was lighter than a feather. He carried me into his living room and set me down on the couch. As he walked away, I tried to put my feet on the floor. It stung like hell. I hissed in pain and cursed quietly.

“Here.” Hyun Joong handed me a glass with pretty red wine in it. I’d always thought red wine was beautiful. He sat down next to me and lifted my legs, placing them across his lap. He was remarkably casual and relaxed. Maybe it just seemed that way because I was so nervous and wound up. I took a sip of wine. He threw his arm up across the back of the couch and I could feel the heat of his skin against my back.

“Thank you for helping me. And for the wine.” I lifted my glass and took another sip.

He nodded and took a sip from his own glass, drawing my gaze to his full, plump lips. I cleared my throat and tried to refrain from gulping down my entire glass and asking for more.

He laughed softly and looked down. “I know that I just met you, but I’ve never been so compelled in my life to help anyone as much as I am now to help you.” He looked at me and the expression on his face was something I’d never seen before. I couldn’t really tell what it was, but it was nice. It looked like he cared. “Will you tell me why you were crying?”

I looked away and went to take another drink of the delicious wine he’d given me, but it was gone. I frowned and put my glass on the table. I leaned my head back and took a deep breath.

“It’s kind of complicated,” I said reflexively. I felt the disappointment coming from him as soon as I said it and regretted it. I shook my head. I shouldn’t act this way to someone who was being so kind and seemed so eager to help me. “I think… I think I’m experiencing a legitimate breakup.”

He nodded again. He seemed so comfortable. I started to relax. “You can talk about it with me, if you’d like. Or anything else that’s on your mind. Or whatever you want,” he told me sweetly. I smiled. Nobody had ever just told me to talk before.

“I miss my mom and dad,” I blurted out without thinking. My eyes widened and started to tear up. I couldn’t believe I had just said that to someone I had just met, or the fact that I was starting to cry as well. “My mom died when I was six and I was in a car wreck with my dad a few months ago and… he didn’t make it. I was so close with him. He was my best friend. My only friend, until I came to Korea really and met Daesung again. Then, Daesung and the boys from Big Bang took me in. They made me feel welcome and accepted and loved. They made me feel like a sister, like somebody they truly cared about and wanted in their lives. And Daesung made me feel like he loved me. But I guess he isn’t over his former girlfriend because he wouldn’t introduce me as his current girlfriend in front of her and while we were all at dinner, he kissed her. It tore me to pieces. I was falling in love with him. Then she came to the house and was telling me all this stuff and then he came in and said sorry and kissed me and I just ran out. I ran out without telling anybody where I was going, without even knowing where I was going. I didn’t even grab shoes. I just ran and I don’t remember where I turned or crossed the street or anything. I just remember running. And then you found me and now I’m here.” I wiped away the tears that were falling down my face and tried to stop them. “I’m sorry, I don’t know how…” I inhaled deeply and looked up at the ceiling. I felt his hand on my shoulder, his attempt at comforting me. It helped.

“Yah, it’s okay. I didn’t mean you had to just talk. You can talk, cry, scream, whatever.” He smiled at me. “I’m sorry if I’m making you uncomfortable. I just really… I really want to help you. I want to help you feel comfortable and happy. I want you to feel like you can trust me and come to me if you need somebody.” He blinked and blushed a little. “Sorry. I really don’t know what’s come over me.”

I laughed at him. He was acting just as silly as I was. “No, it’s nice. You know what the worst part about it is?” I looked at him.

“What?”

“This all happened yesterday. And yesterday was my birthday.” I started crying again. I put my face in my hands. Worst birthday ever.

Hyun Joong pulled me against his side and rubbed my back. I let myself cry against him. All my life, I’d tried hard to be strong but it seemed like something inside me had given up the fight and was just going to let it all out for once. I didn’t know if that was a good or a bad thing. I’d never been one to wear my heart on my sleeve until recently and I was scared. Everything that had happened in the last few days, in the last few months scared me, terrified me. All of the feelings, all of the loss, the ups and the downs. I was thinking about mom more than usual and missing dad a lot. It didn’t feel like just yesterday everything had happened. It felt like it had been weeks. Oh, why did this all have to hurt so much? They must be worried for me, right? I should call them.

“Do you want me to call them for you?” he asked me quietly after a few minutes, like he was reading my mind.

I nodded. “If you don’t mind?” I looked up at him.

He smiled at me and shook his head. “Not at all. Do you need me to carry you to the kitchen or the bathroom or anything? Your feet must hurt like crazy.”

I looked at him in shock for a second before asking him to take me to the bathroom. He was probably the most thoughtful, amazing person in the entire galaxy. I was really feeling overwhelmed with all of the things that were happening to me. I looked at myself in the mirror and screamed a little. My hair was an absolutely rat-bird’s nest. My eyes were all puffy and red from crying and my makeup was awful. I washed my face with cool water to help with the puffiness, then looked around for a brush. Thank God a handsome man with lovely hair found me. I brushed my hair out-which was quite painful-and looked at myself again. Just that did wonders to how I looked. I don’t know how he could have stood to look at me like that for so long. I shuddered.

I jumped and squealed at a knock on the door. “Come in,” I said quietly.

The door opened and Hyun Joong stared for a moment when he saw me. I blushed and looked down, smiling a little. I only looked up again when I felt him lift me up into his arms.

He was smiling as he told me that he talked to TOP. He told them I was fine, that I was with a friend and that I’d be in touch soon. He didn’t tell them where I was. I was grateful for that. I didn’t want to be around them right now; I needed some space. But where was I going to stay the night? I didn’t have anywhere else to go. I shook the thought from my head. I wouldn’t think about that right now. I’d enjoy the company of Hyun Joong and delicious wine.

We sat and talked for a few more hours, we laughed and exchanged stories. I learned a lot about him and I’m sure he learned volumes about me. He was telling me about filming Boys Over Flowers when I realized that’s where I had recognized him from.

I gasped. “I watched that and couldn’t get enough of it. You and Yijung were my favorites.” I blushed. I was fangirling right in front of Hyun Joong. What the hell was I thinking?!

He chuckled and looked up at me. “Thank you. Usually, Min Ho is the favorite we found out. You didn’t recognize me before?”

I let out a nervous giggle. “Well, I knew I recognized your face but I couldn’t figure out where I knew you from. It was really frustrating me. Seeing you on TV really doesn’t do you justice.” My eyes widened and covered my mouth. I was mortified that all of these silly things were coming out of me. What was going on right now? Why was I unable to control myself?

He laughed, more than he’d laughed before, which relieved me. “That’s really sweet of you, Soo Yun. Thank you.”

I blushed and laughed. I was so embarrassed. “I’m so sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten into me tonight. I apologize.”

He reached over and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and said, “Wine is what’s gotten into you. But you don’t have anything to apologize for. I’ve been needing a confidence boost lately. I guess I found you at the right now. Thanks for running so far today,” he joked, smiling at me. I blushed and looked away, laughing a little. There was silence for a minute and my heart started beating faster. Luckily, someone knocked on the door to break the tension. “I’ll be back,” he said, standing to get the door.

My phone buzzed against my leg. I checked it. It was a message from TOP.

Hey. I’m worried about you. Will you come home so we can talk? If you need to stay away for a while, I’ll understand. I’d just like to hear it from you. Hyun Joong was nice and all, but… I’m just worried. We all are.

I sighed. I should go home. I knew they’d be worried even though Hyun Joong told them I was okay. Although I’m sure a strange man speaking for me wasn’t very reassuring.

I answered, of course. How could I not?

I’m okay. I promise. J I do need a little time and space. I’m having a good time with Hyun Joong. I really think spending some time here will help. I love you guys and I’m not going to leave or anything. I swear. I’m safe and okay. Don’t worry.

I hit send and put my phone on the table just as Hyun Joong was leading three more guys into the room. I noticed that they were the rest of F4 from Boys Over Flowers. My jaw dropped and I went to stand up, forgetting my feet were totally screwed. I hissed and sat back down.

Hyun Joong was by my side in a millisecond. “Soo Yun ah, are you okay?” He lifted my feet and looked at my bandages. Just as I was about to answer, he said, “We should probably change these. Stay here. Oh, this is Min Ho, Bum and Joon. I forgot they were coming over tonight. Is that okay?”

I blinked. “I don’t know why you’re asking my permission. I’m a guest here. I’m sorry, guys. I would get up and properly greet you if I had been smart earlier today. I’m Soo Yun,” I introduced myself, bowing the best I could on the couch. Hyun Joong shook his head and laughed, walking to away to get more bandages. I looked at the other guys and they were just staring at me. “What?”

Bum smiled that cute smile I remembered from the show. I tried not to fall immediately in love with him. I’d rarely seen boys with a smile that had that kind of power to them. All of them had overwhelming presence. “We’re just not used to seeing girls with Hyun Joong. Have you two been dating long?” Bum asked with a sarcastic but gorgeous smirk.

My face turned redder than it had ever turned before. “Oh, no, it’s not like that,” I said, stumbling over my words from nervousness.

“Really? What is it like then?” Joon retorted with a smirk.

I bit my lip, not knowing what to say. I mean, I’d just met Hyun Joong, but it was like he was my best friend. Already, he’d helped me so much.

“She’s having some problems and I found her and offered her a place to get away. It just so happens that she ran quite a long way before I found her,” Hyun Joong explained to them, bending to bandage my feet again. He seemed irritated that Bum asked me that, but still he was so gentle when changing my bandages. When he was done, he looked up at me and asked, “How’s that?”

I nodded and smiled, patting the space on the couch beside me. He smiled back, not quite the smile he had earlier, and resumed his place next to me.

Min Ho took one of my hands and smiled at me, taking my breath away. Holy cow, were they all handsome. “It’s nice to meet you, Soo Yun. I hope you’ll be around more.” He winked at me and sat back, leaving me speechless.

I was feeling rather anxious with all of them in the room. Especially since I didn’t want to in on the conversations they were having. I was also getting very sleepy. Listening to them all talk animatedly and casually, seeming so content, it was making me feel more comfortable. Eventually, I let my heavy eyelids slide closed. I didn’t have the energy to try to keep them open any longer.