Nineteen

Who Ever Thought It would Be Like This

I put everything back in the envelope and went into the closet. I found the jacket I never used in the very back of the closet and stuffed the envelope inside one of the inside pockets. Tears were streaming down my face. My worst fear had been confirmed. This was all my fault.

            I went into the bathroom and quickly composed myself so I could go back outside. I was sure Hyun Joong would be looking for me soon. I stepped out into the hall and nearly ran into TOP. He grabbed my arms to steady me.

            “Sorry, Seunghyun ah. I didn’t see you there,” I said anxiously, pushing my hair behind my ear.

            “Where’ve you been? I—We haven’t seen you in forever and now you’re hiding away in your room. That isn’t like you, Soo Yun ah.” One of his hands lingered on my arm.

            I let out a nervous, quiet laugh. “I just wanted to freshen up a little after checking on Min Ho. Sorry…” I trailed off and turned to go downstairs.

Hyun Joong was coming up and stopped when he saw me. He glanced at TOP, who was a little behind me. I descended the stairs to him slowly until I was next to him, then I stopped too. He looked in my eyes for a second then held out his arm for me. I curled my arm around his and leaned my head on his arm. He smiled and walked me back upstairs.

TOP avoided my eyes and took the stairs down quickly.

“Why are we going upstairs, Hyun Joong ah?” I asked him when I knew TOP was gone.

“You’ve been up for too long. You need your beauty rest. Well, figuratively speaking. You’re always beautiful.” He looked down at me and smiled his gorgeous smile, but I stopped anyway in front of the door. “What?”

I pulled on his arm. “My friends just got here. I can’t leave them—Hyun Joong ah!” I squealed when he lifted me off the floor into his arms. He carried me into the bedroom. Not only had I missed my boys, I was also embarrassed by his calling me beautiful. I wasn’t what most people considered “skinny,” but I wasn’t fat either. My hips were kind of big. I refused to believe that KIM HYUN JOONG thought I was beautiful.

“You have been up too long and a lot has happened. People following us, traveling, Min Ho, us, Daes…” he trailed off and then cleared his throat. He ascended the few steps to the hanging bed.

He set me gently on the big, gorgeous bed I was so excited about when we first got here. The comforter was big and fluffy and the mattress was memory foam. Instantly, the tired hit me. I had been up too long. He was right.

“Here. Go put this on and come get in bed.” He threw a big button up shirt at me. I looked up and he was standing on the first step to the bed in a white wife beater and a pair of sweats that made him look drop dead gorgeous. I almost whimpered walking past him to the closet. I got a pair of comfy shorts to wear under his shirt.

Hyun Joong was waiting outside the closet when I got out. He didn’t hesitate to pick me up and carry me to the bed again. When he set me down, he was leaning over me and he lingered. My heart started hammering against my chest. I put my hand on my chest, trying to control my heart rate before it exploded. He put his hand over mine. This was the most intimate moment I’d ever shared with someone.  His face was no more than two inches away from mine. I could feel his breath caressing my face. I wanted so bad for  his to kiss me again, but I was too afraid to make the move myself.

His hand moved to my neck and then to my cheek. His other hand came up and cupped my other cheek. A soft noise escaped him before he kissed me, and it made my heart melt. His lips were so soft and warm, surrounding mine. Again, his kisses were soft and sweet, gentle, perfect. His hands on my face were also warm, but not as warm as his lips. His body against my side was strong. For the first time since we got here, I felt completely safe.

He pulled away first and turned off the light beside the bed. I could barely see him in the dark, but the moon was giving just enough light to know where he was. He was getting up. I grabbed his arm, which flexed in my hand. I shuddered at the feeling.

I inhaled deeply, hesitating. “Will you… will you stay with me tonight? Please,” I whispered into the dark, hoping, praying he wouldn’t reject me.

His body shook with a chuckle. He pulled his arm out of my hand and my heart sank. If he was rejecting me now, it would break my heart. It was quiet for a minute, and I thought that he was leaving. But the mattress dipped underneath his weight next to me. He curled both of his arms around my waist and pulled me against him. I put my own arms around him. His skin was warm and firm under my fingers. His skin. He’d taken his tank top off. My breath hitched. He chuckled again and pressed his lips to my forehead.

He bent and said quietly in my ear, “Sleep well, beautiful.” I shivered. His voice was so perfect, especially when right next to my ear.

I put my head against his chest and yawned. How long had I even been up? I couldn’t remember. My eyes started to close. He started to hum quietly to me. Before I knew it, I was asleep in the arms of my Kim Hyun Joong.