Missing You [AU]

Love Hurts

"Watch your step." I said.

"I'll be fine, because you're holding my hand." You replied in that sweet, trusting voice of yours.

We walked up the snow-covered hill on a bright winter day, the sun softly and meekly shining down on our faces as we traversed the path, our hands firmly clasped together, our fingers intertwined like it belonged with each other.

We treaded the path in silence, just basking in each other's presence. The chilly wind cut through our cheeks, but our hearts and hands were warm. There was never a cold moment when you were beside me.

I suddenly stopped and you stopped with me, never once letting go of my hand, a cute, confused look painted on your face as you looked up to me in question. I merely smiled, then letting go of your hand for just the slightest moment, I took the scarf around my neck and wrapped it around yours. You smiled, and in turn, you stood on your tiptoes and planted a kiss on my cheek in thanks.

"Thanks, Jinnie. But won't you be cold?"

"Your presence is enough to keep me warm." I replied, suddenly overcome with a slightly cheeky mood. You rolled your eyes in amusement, but I could tell from the smile you tried to hide that you were happy with it.

"Oh, stop it. Come on, let's go up the hill and see the sunset." You held out your hand to me, but I had better ideas. I shake my head, and stepped back a few, which seemed to confuse you. Then you suddenly realized what was happening, but I was too fast for you.

In the time you had tried to figure out what I was doing, I had already formed a snowball in my hands and was about to throw it at you. With a triumphant look, I hurled it towards you. You barely missed it, laughing.

Our happy banter and laughter rang through the silence of nature, our happiness and contentment in each other's presence piercing the cold wind.

We continued to play in the snow for some time, until it started to soak through our gloves and clothes. Still laughing, we collapsed on the ground together beside each other, with you using my arm as a pillow (like always) while we stared up at the sky that was fast growing dim.

"We're going to miss the sunset, Jinnie." You softly reminded, your voice suddenly quiet as if you didn't want anyone else but me to hear you. "Didn't you want to bring me up here for that? You said the view here was the best."

"I know, but we're going to see something even more beautiful in a few moments. Besides, even if we get up now, it will be too late to see the sunset anyway."

So we lay in each other's arms, just like that, in the middle of practically nowhere. Your body warmth was enough for me, even though I was soaked. 

And sure enough, in just a few moments, the sky grew dark and with it, thousands of stars that seemed to look down upon us descended up to the sky.

I could hear the contentment in your voice as you marveled at the sight, reaching up and pointing a finger at the heavens, trying to count how many there were, what constellations you could see.

You talked and talked, and I listened to every word. In your presence, I felt the happiest.

Hearing and feeling your steady breath beside me… was all I needed.

Knowing that you were safe and alive beside me was all I needed.

Is still all I need.

But now I lay here, alone, arms stretched out to my sides uselessly, still half-expecting you to show up out of nowhere, lay in my arms and use it as your pillow like you've always done as if everything was alright again in the world.

But I know that could never be.

As I look up at the vast, endless sky, with all the stars dotting its expanse… I remember that you are now one of them.

The first time I brought you here, I could still remember you saying that that was the first time you had ever seen the stars shine so brightly. You used to say that looking up at the stars gave you hope, that one day you will be able to reach them and shine as brightly as they do.

But all I see in the stars is a cruel reminder of what I have lost.

I stare and stare and stare up at the sky, eyes almost unblinking, the seconds, minutes, hours ticking away. It is only by staring at the stars that I feel that I am still with you, even though I am nowhere near where you are.

You finally reached the stars, Andy. You now shine as brightly as them, alongside them.

But you left me behind.

You were my star, shining brightly for me, illuminating my life. You already shone bright for me.

And yet… you were cruelly taken from me, leaving me in darkness, leaving me without a star to illuminate my way.

To me, the sky is nothing but a vast, dark expanse. All the stars in the sky couldn't lead me out of darkness.

I lay there, arms stretched, hoping, unmoving, waiting. Waiting for the sun to wake up from its slumber and peek out the horizon, its bright rays erasing all traces of darkness, signifying yet another day I have to live through without you.

Everyday without you is like a meaningless existence. I dread the coming of the sun, for it would mean erasing the stars from the sky and going through another day without seeing your smile and hearing your voice.

Sure enough, in just a few hours, the sun has once again risen without fail. Nature suddenly became alive again, with the birds' chirping waking everything up.

I held on to the small hope that maybe, just maybe, it would be night forever. And I could keep staring at the stars until the time I join you, reminiscing of the times we were happily together.

Alas, today is not the day.

I get up from the spot, our spot, dusting myself off as I started to trudge up the hill.

And there, at the very top, I could once again see it.

The mound I have made in your memory.

From here, you could finally see the sunrise and the sunset that we have so often missed. Sometimes I wish I really did bring you here, but we were far too happy just laying in each other's arms counting the stars.

I bring my hand up to my lips, planting a kiss on my fingers before patting it on the mound.

I still love you, Andy. My existence is a torture without you.

I miss you.

 

--------------------------

So I was searching google and youtube for "saddest moments in drama" to inspire me and give me a prompt for a oneshot, when I saw this scene of this guy and girl walking hand in hand through the snow (I think it was Snow Queen or something), and thus this oneshot was born (really, snow was the only thing I needed xD). I also listened to INFINITE's Only Tears on loop, which I think helped me bring out the sadness and longing in this chapter. I hope.

So yes. Now that all of those feelings are out, I do hope I can work on my other fics. @_@ But I just don't have enough inspiration. Schoolwork is killing it >.<