Wait here, Shih Tzu

♕ The King and His Queen ♔

That Sohee had a very, very big mouth.

The next day after Shinkyu attempted to hit her, everyone in school knew about it. And Sohee was trying to get sympathy out of it. She would go round and tell people that everything was just an accident, and that she was the one who started it.

“I’m really sorry to Miss Shinkyu, because I’m the one who was rude to her first,” said the innocent Sohee.

Shinkyu wanted to barf. It was true that Sohee was the one who started all these, but she wasn’t sorry. AT ALL.

When the news spread to the head teacher, he demanded to see the princess straight away. He even went to her class just to personally her to the principal’s room. Shinkyu sighed and trudged towards the room behind the head teacher. The only consolation for her to have a “talk” with him and the principal was that the room was air-conditioned with a sofa for her to sit on.

The journey to the room was quiet. The head teacher seemed to be counting his steps and occasionally looking at Shinkyu, as if afraid she would run off.

“I know about it, Shinkyu,” the principal said when Shinkyu and him were seated comfortably on the sofa.

Shinkyu shifted in her position and said nothing.

“What are we going to do with you now, Shinkyu?” he continued after sensing that Shinkyu was not going to reply. “Before this, the stealing offence. And now? Violence in school?”

“For the hundredth time,” Shinkyu cleared , “I did not steal, and I did not show any violence.”

“We asked Jiyong.”

Shinkyu’s blood froze. She wiggled her fingers repeatedly to stop her nervousness from growing. It didn’t work.

What did Jiyong have to do with this??

“He said he saw you and Sohee having a… discussion, in the hall way. And then, you raised you hand and was about to hit Sohee.”

What the hell??

“Jiyong is now considered your legally wedded husband. I don’t think he would frame you or anything.”

He just did.

Shinkyu’s vision started to blur. Then slowly, warm tears streamed down her cheeks. What was happening to her? Ly Shinkyu wouldn’t cry! EVER!

“I never steal anything, and I didn’t hit anyone.” Her lips trembled with the pronunciation of every word, and her voice was shaky and weak. “I swear… Why won’t anyone believe me?”

Even with her vision focus on the floor, Shinkyu could see the principal stood up and went over to his table. A few seconds later, he came back to her with a box of tissues. “Don’t cry, Shinkyu…”

Shinkyu took a few tissues gratefully and wiped the tears away.

“I know you’re innocent,” the principal said. He paused, waiting for Shinkyu to look at him. She did, instantly.

“What??”

“We may appear heartless when we’re going through a case investigation,” the principal continued; he was referring to him and the head teacher, “but we’re not blind. Especially to the truth. We knew all along that you’re not to be blamed from the stolen money. But we were stern because we need to make the real thief think as if he or she was already safe. Only then will the thief create more havoc, just to divert attention from him or her. I think we both know who is it, right?”

“Are you going to do anything to Sohee then, sir?”

“We’re suspending her from attending school for a few weeks or so. After all, she is new here and well, everyone needs a second chance.”

Shinkyu nodded understandingly. “So, I’m not in trouble?”

The principal smiled and shook his head no. Shinkyu laughed out of relief and buried her face in her hands. Finally, things were back to normal.

But there was still an unanswered question in her mind.

“Then, why did you ask to see me here and tell me all those..?” Before she knew it, that question already escaped her mind and .

The principal took a deep breath before he said, “I’m just trying to tell you, that there are people that we should not trust. People who may also be our closest kin will also betray us. Be careful, Shinkyu.”

‘Jiyong…’ Shinkyu thought. Why did he betray her like that? “I will, sir. And one more thing--” she held her breath for a few seconds. “I really wanted to slap Sohee the other day.” Her voice trailed off.

Shinkyu was expecting anger and a long lecture from the principal. But instead, he just smiled knowingly and nodded. “I know that, Shinkyu. We all know Ly Shinkyu, including her personality and her short temper.”

They broke into laughter. Suddenly, it seemed as if the barrier between the teacher and student was broken.

“Is there anything you want to tell me?” the principal asked.

Shinkyu thought for a while, a thousand things jumbled up n her mind. She thought about everything that happened in the past few days.

“Yes, sir,” she finally said. When the principal looked at her readily and attentively, she continued, “Kwon Jiyong is not my husband.”

He certainly didn’t act like one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside the room, Seungri was waiting patiently for Shinkyu. He was sitting on a plastic chair. Anyone who passed by would probably have thought that he did something wrong and was summoned to the principal’s room.

“Hey!” Seungri greeted Shinkyu the second he saw her coming out from the room. “How’s everything going?”

“What are you doing here?” Shinkyu snapped.

“I told you: leader hyung wanted us to protect you. I’m the first one officially on duty!”

“He wanted you to protect me?” Shinkyu repeated his statement like a question. Seungri nodded. The princess just sighed in distress. “Yeah, he needs to. After all the damage he has done.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Noona! Wait for me!” Seungri said, panting heavily. He had spent the last fifteen minutes following Shinkyu around. The bad thing was that she had large steps and a quick pace. It was hard for him to keep up. That lady had a cheetah’s stamina!

Shinkyu came to a halt without warning, resulting in Seungri almost banging his nose against her. She turned to him with an annoyed expression. “You do realize that I’m actually a year younger than you, right?”

“Yeah!” Seungri said. “And you’re taking the same classes as the hyungs and me!”

“Don’t call me noona! I feel old!” Shinkyu said as she started to walk away. “Just leave me alone, okay?”

“I can’t, noo—jesu!” Seungri said. “Hyung asked me to protect you!”

“I am NOT your jesu!” Shinkyu snapped. “I’m not married!”

Seungri scratched his head. “What about Jiyong hyung?”

“He is not my husband!”

“But--”

“Seungri!” Shinkyu shouted. “You go back and tell your ‘leader hyung’ that Ly Shinkyu won’t need any protection. Ask him to back off from my life!!”

With that, she ran off.

{1 hour later}

Shinkyu had just finished her Music History lecture. She noticed that Seungri was absent. That worried her a little. She was, after all, probably the last person to see him. What if something happened to him?

Shinkyu shot out from the lecture hall the instant the lecturer said, “Class dismissed.” She had intentionally done so to avoid Jiyong. Ga-eul and Kyuhyun were ‘volunteered’ to help out at the library, and Shinkyu didn’t want to deal with Jiyong alone.

“Shinkyu!”

The princess turned around and saw Seungri running towards her.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere!” he panted heavily. Droplets of sweat were embedded across his forehead.

“Erh, we share the same classes, remember?” Shinkyu pointed out as she handed him some tissues.

“Oh! Right!” he said.

Shinkyu glanced around the hallway. She remembered seeing Jiyong and the rest of his gang hanging around, and now they were gone. She sighed self-pityingly. She had wanted to return Seungri to them.

As Shinkyu walked around the school compound, Seungri followed suit. This time, he would hide and kept a larger distance from her. However, Shinkyu could still know he was there.

“You can come out now, Seungri…” she said with a heavy sigh.

“But how did you--”

Shinkyu groaned. “When are you going to give up?”

“Never,” Seungri said with a smile tugging at his lips. “I told you leader hyung wanted us to protect you. I’m the first one to be chosen on duty, and I need to do my job well!”

“Huh! Why would I need protection in a university?”

Seungri went on to tell her. “Hyung said there are dangerous people around. You can never be too sure…”

“Yeah yeah… He wanted to ‘protect’ me from guys, more like…” Shinkyu retorted, her mind suddenly wheeling back to Kyuhyun. He was always so sweet and nice to her.

“Erh, well…” Seungri stuttered. “Maybe you should ask Jiyong hyung yourself--”

“Look Seungri, the most dangerous guy here is Kwon Jiyong. I’m staying away from him,” Shinkyu said. She looked at the Rolex watch around her wrist, and then back at Seungri. “I’m going for painting class.” As she began to walk away, a weird feeling engulfed her and she immediately turned around. Seungri was standing there, looking on.

‘What a stupidly loyal lap dog!! Jiyong sure trained him well…’ Shinkyu thought.

She sighed to herself. “Hey!” Seungri looked up in an instant. Shinkyu forced a smile. “Did you forget we’re having the same class again?”

Seungri’s only reply was a foolish grin across his face. Foolish, but still cute.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We need to talk, NOW!”

Kyuhyun stood in front of Jiyong. He was at least a few centimeters taller than the prince. He looked angry and irritated, totally different from how he always looked like in front of Shinkyu.

Jiyong turned away, not bothering with Kyuhyun. “I’ve got lecture.”

“You certainly need one!” Kyuhyun said furiously. The hallway was empty for most of the students had already scampered to their own classes.

“What do you want, Cho Kyuhyun?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, Shinkyu!” Seungri said cheerfully as he trailed behind the princess. “Don’t you wanna eat something?”

“Not really. You?”

Seungri shook his head. “I’m not hungry.” He was lying. They both knew it. His stomach was rumbling so loud that it could be heard by anyone in a ten mile radius.

“Don’t be stupid! Did Kwon Jiyong train you to be stupid?” Shinkyu said. “I’m not your ‘leader hyung’. I have no objections if you want to eat when I don’t.” She spotted a vending machine nearby. She shoved her books to Seungri. “Wait here, Shih Tzu…”

The maknae watched as Shinkyu walked towards the vending machine, pressed a few buttons, and then came back with a pack of cheese crackers. She gave it to Seungri.

“Eat. I don’t want to be responsible if by any chance, you faint or anything.”

Seungri smiled with gratitude and took the food from Shinkyu’s open hands. As he munched on the crackers, the princess stared into blank space and seemed to be lost in her own thoughts.

“Shinkyu, are you okay?”

Shinkyu snapped back into reality and smiled at him. “Yeah, sure.” It was a lie, as well.

Seungri placed the packet of crackers aside and focused on the princess instead. “Actually, I’m really curious…”

“About what?”

“Why do you and Jiyong hyung hate each other so much?”

That question came so abruptly. No one ever asked Shinkyu about that before. It was as if someone tied an anchor to her heart, and then released it. Now, her heart felt so heavy.

She looked at Seungri and forced a weak smile.

“Good question.”