Chapter 4: Not fit for a socialite?

Seohyun's Butler

The night before had been the queerest of all nights.

Joohyun had returned to her room, ready to sleep when Changmin came out from his hiding place with a set of pink silk pajamas. She nodded at him as a gesture of thanks and assumed he would place the clothes on her bed and leave. But instead, he stood there unmovingly like a statue, as if waiting for something.

Thinking that he had not understood her, she had pointed at her bed and said, "Just place them there and you may go."

Still, he made no attempt to move the slightest. "I'm afraid that I'll have to assist you in changing, my lady."

Her jaw dropped that very instant and yelled a bit louder than she intended, "You may not!"

But her raised voice did not make the butler flinch the slightest. Instead, he had replied simply and plainly, "It's stated in the contract."

"Then I'll release you from that part of the contract." She immediately blurted out. The thought of that cold man seeing any bare part of her body or touching her the slightest made her cringe. "I will do anything as long as you skip that part of your job." She continued, sounding almost like a plea.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that," he had said and at the same instant, Joohyun felt a black cloth covering her. She was just about to scream when the cloth was lifted and she found herself neatly in her pink sleepwear. She was even more shocked to find that her original clothing were now hanging on one of Changmin's arms.

"Ho...how did you do that?" Joohyun asked, shocked and terified at the same time. She did not believe in magic (she was far too sensible to indulge in such non-scientific things) and could only make out one possible reason for her butler achieving what he did-- speed. Extreme speed.

Then he must have seen me with only my underwear or worse, she thought. Her face immediately heated up with not only embarassment but anger. 

As if reading her mind, the Butler said with a composed tone which made Joohyun clueless of whether he was conforting or scaring her. "If it relieves you, I did not look."

Seeing that she was silent, he said, "I will leave my lady to rest then. It has been quite a long day, I am sure." And giving her his signature bow, he retreated to his quarters.


Keeping the event in mind, Joohyun decided to rise incredibly early to avoid Butler Shim and his "clothes changing" act all together. She was glad to see that her digital clock was blinking the "6:00" digits at her and that there was no trace of that strange male. Believing she was early enough, she got down her bed and tiptoed her way to her walk-in closet, careful not to alarm you-know-who. Instead, she entered the room to find the man waiting for her with an outfit ready in his hands.

"Good morning, my lady. I see you're awake. I was just about to bring these to you." He replied with a smile that seemed forced and unnatural.

Joohyun returned his act with a small smile of her own, careful to hide her disappointment well. "I am amazed to find you up so early."

"It is my job after all." He replied, emphasizing the words "my job". "I suppose you are ready to change?"

The girl had wanted so bad to say no but she knew it was inevitable. If Shim Changmin was really as good a butler as her father had sworn, he would surely do anything to fulfill his duties. So whatever Joohyun had planned to avoid him would be futile in the end, she was a smart enough girl to understand that. She would just have to take him at his words. 

"I guess I am," she mumbled.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she felt the silk cloth hover around her as it did the day before and in a blink of an eye, she was fully dressed for the day. Once again, she was blown away by the sense of style the butler possessed. She was now dressed in a white lace skater dress that was elegant yet youthful. For once, she was thankful for having a butler for she had honestly never looked so good before.

Joohyun was one to appreciate talent and skill, so despite her indifference towards Changmin, she decided to ask for a favour.

"Could you teach me how to style and choose clothes for different occassions? I am an idiot when it comes to fashion." She said, smiling shyly at the man.

He seemed to hesitate for a second but a small smile took over his face, a real one. "If you wish, my lady."

"Kamsahamnida. By the way, you should smile more. You look much more handsome with one." The girl said and left the room for breakfast before the man could react. Unknown to him, Joohyun had taken upon herself to melt his cold personality the moment she observed his smile. If she could not get rid of him, she would learn to accomodate his presence by altering his attitude first. 


"Good morning, darling, you're up so early," Mr. Seo greeted her with a grin as he looked up from his newspaper. "You look exceptionally fine as well! Where are you going today?"

"Good day to you too, sir. Butler Shim chose this dress  for me but I doubt I have much use of it today since it's Saturday and school does not start till Monday." She replied with a curtsey before seating herself at the table, making her father laugh.

"How I miss having you around! By the way, I had my secretary organize a party for you tomorrow night. You will be introduced to everyone for the first time so you better learn as much as you can from Changmin before tomorrow. " Then a sheepish grin overcame his face as he passed her the newspaper. "You would want to make an impression after this. See you tonight then!"

She looked down at the article and felt that her stomach did a couple of somersaults. The girl was not aware that Mr. Seo had left for she was to shocked by the title and the picture that accompanied it: "High Society's Newcomer 'falls on face'". Below it, was a picture of her fainting at the sight of the paparazzis, captioned "Seohyun proves herself short-lived."

"My lady, would you like some coffee or tea?" Changmin, who had entered the room without the girl's notice, asked suddenly.

In her state of shock, Joohyun seemed not to have heard his question and remained silent.

"Coffee or tea, my lady?" The man repeated his enquiry.

This time, the girl responded, face ghastly white. "Butler Shim, I think I require your service."


AN:

I am sorry if you do find this chapter or story boring but my style of writing has always been slow and detailed so please forgive me. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear from you guys as to what you think of the story :)

If you consider this story worthwhile, please vote for me!

I am really thankful of my 22 subscribers!!

Talk to you all soon when I update within a few days :)