Chapter 22: Love & Hurt

Seohyun's Butler

It is 5 in the morning, and as any trained butler would, Changmin finds himself waking up at this early hour.

He grins slightly at the sweet dream he just had, it was defintely the sweetest and most heart-warming one he can recall.

Joohyun was with him and they were walking hand in hand at a beach with the wonderful sunset radiating its warmth. She had on a white sundress and with every step she walks, the skirt sways from side to side, an elegant and pretty sight. They sat down on one of the rocks and she laid her head on his shoulder, sighing at the amazing sight in front of her. He could not help himself from patting her head and allowed his fingers to comb through her silky brunette hair. They did not speak but the atmospere was not the least awkard for they were enjoying each other's silent company.

This was then he rose and finds his arms still clinging on to her waist. He looks down to find that the girl has turned around during their sleep and was now facing him with her beautiful features. Her face though chubby, is as pale and smooth like a porcelain. He removes one of his hands and start tracing every inch of the right side of her face. His palm slides from her forehead to cheek and lingers there for a while. His thumb goes over her shaped-brow that isn't at all thick or full but has a soft arch which compliments her gentleness and poise. His finger moves on to her eye which is puffy from the crying but has long lashes framing it. He allows his finger to trail down her the straight bridge of her nose which is unlike all those plastic girls who have fake narrow noses. Hers was a natural button nose that was adorable and cute. Down the philtrum, his thumb lands on her soft cupid's bow. As he caresses her pouty pink lips, they curve into a pretty smile which lifts those cheeks of hers. He can't help himself but to pinch them.

"Yah!" She yelps as her forehead creases. Her eyes are still shut and the frown faded within mere seconds. She has fallen back to sleep.

"I wonder why she had that smile on." He thinks, finding himself grinning at how she reacted. 

Seeing that it is at least 2 hours before she wakes up, he decides to leave her on her bed and start cleaning up. Slowly and gently, he withdraws the arm that is still under her waist, careful not to wake her. As he leaves the bed, he throws a blanket over her and tugs it neatly to keep her warm. She stirs slightly but without the least intention of waking. Subconsciously, she repositions herself and goes on to hold a pillow in her arms. He chuckles at her adorable gesture, giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead before proceeding with the tidying work.

As he picks up the discarded clothing on the floor, he finds himself cringing at the thought of Joohyun nearly getting hurt.

I will protect her as long as I breathe. He makes a solemn promise and realizes that it is the fourth time in this day that he was smiling.

This is quite the record for him. Ever since the role of breadwinner of his family fell on his shoulders at the age of 17, he has never been so happy. To truly and literally have someone you love so much by your side 24-7 is a blessing and for that he's thankful. Now, Joohyun has become his lifeline. He can't deny that this was not an immediate attraction like how fairytales exagerrate but in a way, he's glad that their love for each other was a gradual build-up, had ups and downs and that they managed to get pass the challenges. Nothing beats overcoming a bump in a relationship for that only serves to solidify it. 

He is fast with his work and within 15 minutes, he was done and it is only five-thirty. An idea comes to his mind and making sure that the girl is still fast asleep on her bed, he leaves the room for the kitchen downstairs. 

The whole mansion is empty. Even the servants are still asleep and that means he can do anything without having to answer questions or anyone to pry him.

He takes out an egg and milk from the fridge and searches the pantry for the jar of flour. The sugar is lying about the counter top and easily at reach. He quickly mix up a batter with the ingredients. In no time, he has made perfect round cepes. Cooking is but an easy task for him as it is required for a butler to know his way in the kitchen and be capable of making decadent meals of varied cuisines for his master or mistress. 

As he allows the thin pancakes to cool down a bit, he whips up a bowl of cream. He places the well-folded crepes on a delicate plate, adds a dollop of the cream with some marinated fresh strawberries on the side. The juice of the fruit adds a pop of colour to the dish. He smiles, satisfied with his work.

"Breakfast for Seobaby?" A male voice asks. 

The sudden utterance startles him but he does not show his surprise. Composing himself, he turns round with his cool and calm face on. 

"That's Lady Seo or My lady to you, Butler Xi." He says with an air of authority. He looks at the boy and is surprised that his in casual wear and has a luggage beside him. "May I ask why you are not in your uniform at this hous?"

"I think you know very well, Butler Shim. I'm leaving." The boy answers with a polite smile on. "Don't worry, I've handed my resignation letter to Mr. Seo personally. He was still at his office last night." 

The older man did not need any further explanation about "last night", knowing exactly what I had happened. 

"If that's so, you can leave." Is all what he manages to say. 

Luhan dives his hand into his back pocket and pulls out a card. He hands the card to his superior. "Please kindly hand this to Seohyun-ah, will you?" 

With a smile, he turns and pulls the luggage behind him, leaving the mansion once and for all.


It was six-thirty and Joohyun finds herself alone her bed. She is still in the silk robe Changmin has helped put on her. Her heart flutters at what has happened the night before. Everything seems to be right on track and she is glad that it's so. She has to apologize to Luhan and explain to her friends as well. She has not been herself for so long and she hopes that they will all understand. As she stretches her arms to wake herself up and wonders where her butler has gone, there is a knock on the door. 

"Come in." She says and the door creaks open. 

"Breakfast for my lady." A most welcomed face appears. Changmin holds a tray of delicious-looking foods as he enters. 

"What special occassion is this to have the great Grade A butler cook for me?" She jokes as puts a pillow behind her for back support. 

The man places the tray on her lap and grins sheepishly. "Can't I cook for the one I love?"

Joohyun looks up with a blushed face. "Thanks for this anyways! Have a seat as well." She offers as she moves sideways to make space for him. 

"Wow! This looks absolutely mouth-watering." She comments delightfully as Changmin sit beside her. Without another word, she picks up the utensils and begin cutting the crepe into bite-size pieces. She dips the small piece into the cream and the sauce. As she chews the food, her eyes widen with amazement. "Jinja jjang!" She squeals unlike the lady she's supposed to be and he chuckles at her childishness. 

"I didn't know you have this side in you. I thought I had changed you into a proper socialite for good." He jokes and earns himself a stuck-out tongue from the girl. 

'Yah! I'd rather be my nerdy self than a lady who's got all these rules to follow." She replies as she pickss up another piece of food and this time, stuffing into the butler's mouth. "Now, shut up and eat!" She commands with a laugh. He does as he is told and now has whipped cream and pink sauce all over his lips. 

"Don't move." She whispers as she raises her hand and wipes the dirt with her thumb. When she is done, she the finger to clean it up. "Yum!" She smiles brightly as she scruches up her nose. 

"There's still some more there." She points out. Before he can clean it up himself, the girl has moved the tray out of her way and is kneeling in front of him. He parts his lips to ask what she's trying to do but she does not give him the opportunity as she crashes her lips onto his. Her tongue the sides of his mouth and when she's aboout to break the contact, he has wrapped his arms round her waist to deepen the kiss. It was some time later that they part. Joohyun's face flushes into a beautiful pink hue that Changmin could not control himself from pinching. 

"Yah!" She smacks his hand and pouts. "Don't do that! It's painful!"

"Well, did you just do that to kiss me? You know you could have asked nicely and I would have did that most willigly." He withdraws his hand and a mischievous smile appears on his face. 

"You are your same cocky self, aren't you?" She says with a raised eyebrow, "And no, you did have something on your lips and I was only trying to clean it up." She leaves his embrace to finish the crepes he had made just for her. The two stay silent for a while.

"Huh, what is this?" She asks, spotting a paper on the tray with the cup of hot chocolate holding it down. 

"Butler Xi left it for you." He replies plainly. He was struggling whether to hand the card to her but his conscience got the better of him. He can tell that Xi Luhan was not a bad person and that he had honestly liked Joohyun enough not to take advantage of her vulnerability. If that was what the boy wanted, he will do that as a departing gift.

"Luhan-ssi? Why?" 

"I don't know. It's better you read the card." He says. "I'll take the tray downstairs if you are done with it."

She nods appreciatively, knowing clearly that he was trying to give her space. 

"I trust you to make the correct judgement." are his final words before leaving the room.


Anxious as to what Luhan has written to her, she opens the envelope with shakey hands and takes out a small card that is filled with words. She flips to the right side and begins reading it:

Dear My lady,

Do you know how much I want you to call you Seobaby? But I know if I did, I won't have the courage to leave you as I have now by the time you read this. Trust me, this is the last thing I want to do. I long to be by your side but you've got Butler Shim with you and my presence is only redundant. There's no need to apologize or blame yourself for anything because I'm happy as long as you are your true self. Seo Joohyun is the person I've come to like, not Seohyun. You know where to find me! Take care! 

Love, Luhan

P.S. Be careful when you're with him. Try not to get caught ;)

She feels a hot tear rolling down her face. Despite Luhan's forgiving words, she still feels guilty. She hopes very much to call and tell him she's sorry but that would be very inconsiderate of her to rub salt onto his wounds. She has hurt him and she knows that. 

When the right time comes, I will apologize. She tells herself as she holds the letter to her chest. We may not be lovers but you'll always be my chingu. Live well.


AN:

So everyone, here's Chapter 22! I hope you liked it! Not much going on but it's update anyways :P

I really appreciate the comments and the subscriptions!! Thanks everyone for that!! 

I've finally posted the description and foreword for my new Seohan story! If you want to have a look, please check it out :)   Mr. Right... On Hold

Btw, I now have a Review Shop dedicated to Seohyun stories! In case you are interested, stop by and make a request :D        ~SEOMATE~ Review Shop