Chapter 23: The End

Seohyun's Butler

Click on this link for the playlist of this chapter!!

(From Mei-chan's Butler OST...  of course I had to pay tribute to my main inspiration :P)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpQUYzQJC4HLgpyfCP_cROkOfXWOd57U7


 

The weeks and months that pass by have been most wonderful. 

Joohyun have finally reconciled with her unnies and friends. She was her true self that everyone has come to love. 

"Did you seriously nearly did 'it' with Luhan? Or did you go all the way?" Sooyoung asks in shock during one of their sleepovers. Everyone was sitting on the floor of the Tiffany's big bedroom, with pillows in their arms and blankets hugging their bodies.

"Unnie!! I never said that!" The maknae whines whilst her face turns a scarlett red colour that hints otherwise.

"But didn't  you say you did a wrong thing?" Hyoyeon butts in out of curiousity. "When I think of wrong or bad things, only that comes in mind." The long-legged girl nods in agreement. 

"Well..." The youngest girl stutters, "Well... I can't say... but everything ended quite horribly."

"Wah!! I can't believe our little innocent girl can be so daring!!" Yoona squeals but earns herself a knukle on the head.

"Stop that! Can't you see Hyunnie is uncomfortable with us talking this?" Yuri scolds her 'twin' with a frown as she wraps an arm around Joohyun's shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll protect you if your other unnies don't."

The younger girl smiles appreciatively. "Gomawo, Yul unnie! I have got passed that. Now, I just don't want Butler Shim to get the wrong idea."

"Still using surnames, are we?" Tiffany teased, making the maknae blush once more. "Shouldn't you be calling each other Honey?"

"Or Baby?" Sunny offers. 

"Minnie-ah!" Hyoyeon says with a high pitch, batting her eyelashes at Sooyoung. The shikshin, knowing what the other girl is attempting, joins in the drama acting, "Deh? My little princess Joohyun?" They pretend to lean in for a kiss but stop as everyone made vomitting noises while Joohyun grew even pinker. 

"Wae? This is called good acting!" The dancing queen whines impatiently at her friends. 

"Well! That's if good is a synonym of revolting in your dictionary." Sunny scoffs as she sticks out her tongue. That comment causes the 'actresses' to gasp dramatically and giving each other a knwoing nod, they pick up their pillow and begin attacking the petite girl.

"That's what you get for bad-talking us!!" Sooyoung yells at the shortest of them all but the latter is not ready to give up.

She grabs her pillow as well and starts hitting back. One of the three accidentally hits Yuri, who swiftly joins in. Soon, the room is turned to a pillow fight battlefield and all you can hear are laughters and high-pitched screams.

"Thank God for giving me the unnies I never had," the reserved and passive Joohyun thinks with a smile as she watch the girls throwing cushions and plushies across the room, sometimes missing their targets. A flying pillow comes Tiffany's ways but the girl ducks fast enough and it hits the unprepared maknae instead. 

"Yah! Hyunnie! Don't stand by like a statue!" Yoona, the attacker, shouts. 

The youngest girl gives her unnie a nod. Snatching the first item she spots, she begins throwing it at the girl, who squeals as the pillow smashes on her face.

"I didn't mean to attack at me!!" The pretty girl groans and a michievous smirk crosses her face. "Now you'll pay for it. Run and hide!!!" 

Joohyun does not need to be told twice. As she runs about the room to seek refuge, she finds herself laughing hysterically at the fun time she is having. God has indeed sent 6 perfectly nice angels to protect her and she is indeed thankful.


"Hey, Hyunnie!! What about tea after school? Just like old times?" Minho asks his secret crush and best buddy as they part for different classes after the lunch break. 

Smiling as she remembers how the trio used to spend the afternoon together at the cafe round the corner of their street, she nods at her best chingu. "No problem, Minnie! Meet you and Jonghyunnie at the school gate right after the last period?"

Jonghyun gives her a thumbs up. Before leaving, Minho does not forget to ruffle her hair causing her to pout. "See you then!" He turns back halfway and waves her goodbye.


"Wow! This place has not changed the least bit!" Joohyun gasps as she feels every piece of furniture in the cafe. 

"If this isn't the little Hyunnie who lives right next door?" The ahjumma beams at the sight of the girl. "What a beauty you've become!" 

"Don't spoil her, Ahjumma. She might start thinking that it's true." Minho leans in to "whisper" to the older lady, speaking loud enough for everyone to hear. Joohyun punches him playfully at the shoulders and whines at him. "Yah! You don't have to be that mean!" This draws a laugh from Jonghyun who was observing all this with an amused grin.

"Gomawo, Ahjumma." She turns to the old waiter and says with her pretty smile.

"Pretty boy here has had a big crush on you for as long as I know. You two together yet?" The old lady teases as she gives them their menu while they settle down at their usual booth, with the girl sitting across the two boys, like they always have.

"Aniyo!!! Hyunnie, don't listen to her!!" Minho's face heats up at being busted. Still, he tries his hardest to deny. 

Joohyun says nothing but raises her eyebrow with a knowing smile. "We'll have a capuccino, double expresso and hot chocolate for now, ahjumma! Gomawo!" Then the waitress leaves them alone to prepare the drinks. 

"So," the girl clasps her hands together, eyeing the other two, "it's been a long while we've gathered, only the three of us."

Jonghyun nods. "Yeah. This is the first time we have come without our nannies or maids." This cause them to laugh at their childhood memories.

"Do you remember that we would pretend to be a couple while Jonghyunnie would be the strict father-in-law? Those were good times." She chuckles at the thought, giving a slap on Minho's shoulder.

"How can I forget!! For some time, I thought you were my wife for real and when I told my umma about it, she laughed so hard that she nearly fell off the chair." He replies as he reminised the past. 

"I know you want her to be your wife for real." The waitress says jokingly as she places their orders on the table. She has obviously been eavesdropping on them.


"Yah, ahjumma!! Stop with the nonsense! Hyunnie might take that for real!" The tan boy whines.

"I know." Joohyun says suddenly and the old lady leaves as if on cue.

"Wh...What?" Minho manage to stutter.

"I know!" This time, she speaks slower, making sure he hears.

"What do you think you know?" Jonghyun helps his dongsaeng ask, who was too stunned to utter another word.

"I know you have liked me since we were young." She states boldly, no longer wanting to hide from it. She has brought her friends enough burden and she just can't bear giving her best chingu false hope.

"Of... Of course, I like you!" Minho, finding his voice, tries to act if he was ignorant to her accusations, "We're friends, aren't we? And the best kind as well!!"

"No, I mean," She pauses for a bit, and taking a breath, picks up where she left off, "in a romantic way." 

Hearing her say it, loud and clear, he could not find in him the strength to deny anymore and slums on the sofa chair. 

"How did you find out? Was I that obvious?" He asks defeatedly, hoping to find a hole somewhere to hide his shame. 

"No, I had no idea. If unnies had not told me, I never would have noticed." She answers with a smile but it fades at the next sentence, "Mianhae. Do you mind we stay friends?"

Instead of answering her question, the two boys look at each other with a nod and said in perfect synchronization, "We know."

Joohyun her head slightly, obviously clueless as to what they were implying.

"We know."

Once again, she frowns at the lack of elaboration.

"We know about you and Changmin hyung." This time, it was her turn to drop her jaw. 

"Wh...Why?" She asks, not understanding how they could have known. 

"I saw," The paler boy says, "I saw what happened at the pool."

"You mean on Fany unnie's birthday?" She squeezes her hands tightly together, praying that it was but a dream. She was disappointed for he nods. 

"There's no need to apologize. I knew I did not have a chance." MInho grins genuinely before Joohyun could even begin to say another word. "Especially not when my competitor is hyung. We know you like him, very much."

She remains silent, still too surprised to speak a word. 

"So, best chingu yeongwonhi?" He asks, his signature bright smile warming her heart as it always do. He holds out a pinky and without any hesitation, the older boy does the same thing.

She eyes her childhood friends from left to right.

"Thank God for the best chingus one could ever ask for!" She thinks. Giving them a determined and firm nod, she too puts out her little finger. 

"To friendship that will last forever and ever!!" Minho shouts as they hook onto each other's pinky.

Happy grins are plastered on their faces.


Joohyun is sitting in front of the grand piano with a pen between her teeth. The teacher required them to compose a ballad with lyrics, piano accompaniment, harmony and everything. She is trying her heardest to come up with something but all she manages is a blank canvas. Biting hard on the pencil, she attempts to squeeze some idea out of her brain. A sudden vibration causes her to jump.

She looks down and sees her phone flashing. "I wonder who it is." She thinks as she picks up the iphone 5.

"Yobeseyo?" 

"Hey, Hyunnie!! Tae unnie here!" The familiarly endearing voice squeals exitedly.

"Yah, unnie!! Too loud!!" She shouts back as she removes the phone from her ear and turns on the "speaker" .

"Mianhae, Hyunnie!" The playful unnie apologizes and Joohyun can just imagine her sticking out her tongue.

"It's okay! By the way, why're you calling?" The young one asks as she rubs the markings on the music sheet with an eraser. She's just too much of a nature-lover to waste paper.

"Well, time for you to fulfill your duties again!" Her voice blasts through the speaker.

"Wae? Not again!! Something shady is going on! Why're you so excited?" The dongsaeng asks suspiciously. Even under normal circumstances, Taeyeon would not get so lively and giddy.

"Trust me, nothing's going on! Just come to the office building at 4. Changminnie will take you here. Arrasso?" The lady asks,  her voice still obviously gleeful.

Sighing in defeat, Joohyun replies, "Dae... Dae."

"See you later then!" Before the younger one can respond, the latter has cut the line, leaving the phone beeping beeping on and on.

"AIsh!! Meori apa!"  Joohyun puffs as she gathers the music sheets, tapping them on the grand piano to arrange them neatly. "There's only 30 minutes left before I've to leave. Better start cleaning up." She murmurs to herself as she gets up from the chair with all her things held against her chest and heading back up. 


"Do you know what my work is about?" The girl asks out of curiousity.

Joohyun and Changmin are now heading for the SFTI building in the usual black SUV. However, instead of having the chaffeur do the driving, the butler is in charge of the steering wheel while the lady sits at the front seat right next to him. He insisted her stay at the back due to safety reasons but she argued that it would be impolite of her to do so and that she had full trust in his driving skills. In the end, he gave up and helped her put on the seatbelt, making her blush at the close contact.

"I suppose it's a shoot per usual?" He suggests as he takes a turn at the cross road, turning his head from left to right to make sure the road is safe.

"I think it's more than that," she replies, fiddling with her hair, "Taeyeon unnie was absolutely suspicious when we were on the phone just now."

"Well, you know noona, she's like that." He turns to look at her as they stop in front of a traffic light. "There's nothing to worry. It's not as if she's got a surprise for you." 

"That's exactly what I'm worried about!! You know how I am with unexpected events and sudden gifts! And what occassion is today for her to do something like that? Is it someone's birthday today? I'm sure it's not yours." She lets out a heavy sigh, crossing her arms.

"And do you know when my birthday is?" He teases, leaning closer to her, as if unsure whether she really knows it or not.

"18th February," she whispers breathlessly, not for the fact that she is afraid she might get the wrong answer but because of their nonexistant distance.

All of a sudden, he closes the gap between them and give her a peck on the lips. She widens her eyes in surprise, not anticipating this outcome at all. They may now be a official "underground" couple, yet, whenever she's around him, she just can't help herself from being shy. 

"Yah! What was that for!" She scolds him lightly as he steps on the accelerator once more, motioning the car to go forward.

"A gift for getting the answer right." He answers simply, a smile tugging on his lips. Joohyun blushes at his reactiona and remain silent for the rest of their journey.


 "If it isn't my gorgeous muse, Joohyun-ah." Mr. Song takes her hand dramatically and lifts it to his lips for a kiss as soon as he spots her.

"You flatter me so, ahjussi." She smiles sweetly before leaving to be dresed by the stylists. 

These days, she has been taking a lot of jobs, not only modelling but endorsements as well, allowing her to spend a lot of time with the infamously grumpy photographer. Her personality seems to click with the older man, who treats her like his dear daughter. 

"If you dare to break her heart, I swear I'll break your neck." The man warns the butler menacingly when they are alone. This causes the latter to look at him surprisingly----it wasn't possible that Mr. Song would know.

"Don't worry, I have my mouth shut like a clam's shell!" The photographer grins mischievously as he pretends to zip up his lips. 

"How come?" Changmin asks out of curiosity.

"A photographer always spots the most detailed things. And the fact that I think of Joohyun as the daughter I never had, makes me pay even more attention. So, I'll know if you make a wrong step." He says with a threatening tone before resuming to bossing his assistants around to prepare the set. 

The younger man stands still, dumbfounded. And there he thought they have fooled everyone...


The young heiress steps out in a funky outfit that she never would have dared to wear and walk out on the streets: A cropped t-shirt with "CL" printed across, an electric blue tutu skirt, polka dotted frosty white leggings paired with plastic chain necklaces and thick leather bracelets of fun, bright colours. Her messy corn-row inspired braided hairstyle elevates the drama and for a second, she hesitates whether she should step out. 

                                                

"At least I get to wear Dr. Martens instead of sky-high killer heels," she attempts to comfort herself as she hides behind a wall, poking her head out to see if anyone was around to spot her. She has a gut feeling that they, meaning Changmin and Taeyeon unnie, will be laughing at her look. "Is this why Tae unnie acted so weirdly just now?" she wonders, though it seemed too petty a thing to keep a secret of.

With itty bitty steps, she tiptoes her way out of the hiding place, trying her best not to attract attention. Her plan fails when the butler turns around and spots her. A childish smile lights up his face and he begins to laugh.

Then and there, the girl lost it and she runs towards him with her fist clutched, punching him on the shoulders and arms.

"Yah!! What are you laughing at? Out of all people, shouldn't you be most supportive..." She yells at him, continuing with her assault. 'Since you're my boyfriend and all', being a mutual understanding, was left unsaid. 

He stops her violent ways with one swift grasp of both her wrists and pinches her cheek with his free hand. "I'm laughing because you're too adorable!" He whispers, not wanting anyone but her to hear those sweet words. 

Her arms immediately fall to her sides while she blushes madly at the compliment. 

"The makeup artist was too heavy-handed on the blush." Mr. Song comments as he approaches his model, causing the butler to take a step back.

"Really?" Is Joohyun's short reply, trying to act as if nothing had happened.

"Never mind!! This looks even better!! It gives you a youthful and energetic feel!" The photographer says, casting a blink at Changmin as if hinting he knew what had gone on. "Now, go hop on that sofa and let's get on shooting!"

Turning round to give the younger male one last look, she takes the orders and sits on the chair, posing as Mr. Song directs her to. Having been in so many shoots, Joohyun has become comfortable in front of the camera, being able to smile and position herself naturally, making the best out of the props and lighting. She continues on to change into different peculiarly fashionable outfits, keeping up with the teenage rebel theme, Each shot took no more than 15 minutes and the old man seems particularly please about the fact, smiling all the way without the slightest hint of a temper. Somehow, she seems to be born for this, probably due to her umma's genes. 

"How much my daughter has grown!" A voice, filled with pride and love, says suddenly.

Changmin looks over his shoulder and sees Mr. Seo standing behind him, observing his baby girl's progress.

"Good evening, sir." The butler greets immediately.

"How many times do I have to correct you, Changmin-ah! It's ahjussi to you, not Mr. Seo." The older man insists.

"Dae, ahjussi." 

"Isn't Hyunnie beautiful? I'm glad she's taken after her mother and not me." The proud father says with a grin and turns to look at the young man, "Don't you agree?"

Changmin nods awkwardly. As much as he agrees to the statement, too eager a response may draw unnessary attention and suspision. 

"I say, screw the rules!" The easygoing businessman says so suddenly that the butler thought he had heard wrong.

"I beg your pardon, ahjussi?"

"I think you heard me, young man. I said: Screw the rules." He repeats with a meaningful look, causing the butler to feel guilty, as if his secret has been found out.

"What makes you say that?" The younger gentleman puts on his usual cool looks, not wanting to give away that he is dead anxious.

"Just some personal experience," The older male answers. As Changmin's about to let out a sigh of relief, the former continues, "And something I've observed between Hyunnie and you."

The butler opens his mouth to explain but is cut off. "You've been a good influence to Hyunnie, setting her on the right track. So relax, I approve."

The 22-year-old wants so much to explain to the older man that he was partly the cause of Joohyun's previous condition but feels it was not the right time. After all, he has just hinted that he is open-minded of their forbidden relationship.

"Kamsahamnida, I'll take good care of her." He bows to the girl's father.

"I never doubted that." Mr. Seo replies with an endearing smile when Taeyeon rushes over, unexpectingly wrapping her arms round his.

"Mianhae, Yunho oppa! I didn't see you here." She apologizes as she scratches her neck, "I was back there with the editors, choosing the pictures to use. You know, they're so many!"

"Well, Hyunnie did a good job!" Mr. Seo says as he pats the lady on the head lovingly. Changmin sees the scene unfold in front of him with awe. 

"Changminnie!!" The girl waves her hand in front of him, breaking his trance. 

"Mianhae, noona." 

"No worries. Yunho oppa and I are planning to tell Hyunnie tonight. I hope she'll understand." Taeyeon reveals, stealing glances at the said girl, who was lying on a sand bag while Mr. Song stood on the ladder, photographing her from above.

Changmin gives her an understanding nod. He's not sure how Joohyun will take it but whatever the consequences, he promises to be on her side.


"That's a wrap, Joohyun-ah and everyone else!!" The photographer announces as he hands his heavy camera to his assistant to take away.

Everyone break out into cheers, giving each other high-fives.

Being the polite and well-mannered lady she is, Joohyun does not forget to bow and thank the crew. "Modu kamsahamnida!"

As she walks back to the changing room, she spots her father standing aside with Changmin and her unnie.

"Appa? Why're you here? Shouldn't you be at work?" She asks as she approaches them.

"Wae? Can't a father spare some time for his daughter? Go change and we'll all dine out together, arasseo?" 

"Dae!!" She leaps off at the sound of dinner with her dear ones, causing the three to smile.

"Isn't she simply adorable. I'm glad to have a daughter and dongsaeng like her!" Taeyeon sighs with a happy grin, praying that her dear Hyunnie will accept her with Mr. Seo.

In 5 minutes, Joohyun has hopped back out with her casual wear. 

"Where're we going?" She blinks her pretty eyes at her appa who offers her his arm to link. The girl gladly takes it and the two head down to the lobby with Changmin and Taeyeon behind them.

In the end, Joohyun decides to take her butler's ride, leaving the CEO with his secretary in another SUV. Both cars stop right outside a fancy French restaurant which the Seo family only go to during birthdays and special occassions. 

"Pick whatever you please, Changminnie. The bill is on me," Mr. Seo states as he flips through the menu.

"Of course you're paying, appa. Who else has got the cash to enjoy a decent meal here than you?" The girl teases her appa lightly. "I'll have lobster bisque, tartar steak and chocolate souflee if you don't mind."

"My lovely daughter seems to be having an awfully huge appetite today." 

"'Coz you're paying." She sticks her tongue out at the older man, making everyone laugh at her playfulness.


Dinner passes by quickly and the four are now enjoying their individual desserts. Seeing that his daughter is in a good mood, Mr. Seo decides that it's time for the special announcement.

"Hyunnie, I've got something to tell you," He says as he holds Taeyeon's hand under the table, squeezing it gently.

"Hmm?" Joohyun responds as she takes another bite of -wateringly delicious chocolate goodness. "What is that?"

Slowly, the nervous father lifts their linked hands and places lightly on the table for everyone to see. Joohyun raises her head from the souflee remekin in her hands and gasps slightly at the gesture. She turns sideways to look at Changmin and he nods supportively at her.

"Taeyeon-ah and I are planning to marry." Mr. Seo states with a gulp, obviously anxious as to what his daughter might say to this. It's true he loves her mother dearly but it has been 9 long years of grieving and it's time he moves on. Kim Taeyeon, despite being his secretary, is very caring of him and works hard without expecting anything in return. Somehow, after days and years of seeing each other nearly every day, they grow attracted to each other and the romance simply bloomed. Seeing how well she get alongs with his daughter only strengthened his mind that she is the one. "What do you say?"

With eyes still round and wide with shock, the young lady points a finger at herself. "What I say?"

Her father nods.

"About you and Taeyeon unnie?"

He nods again.

She hesitates for a second, staring back down to her dessert which has long collapsed. She looks up once more and straight into the couple's eyes.

"I think that love only comes to you once," She starts.

At that, Mr. Seo's about to release his grip on Taeyeon when she continues. "But whoever gets the chance love a second time should cherish it."

Yunho take in a deep breath, clutching his partner's hand tighter. "So you approve?"

"Of course! I've always wished for you to find yourself another wife and Taeyeon unnie is simply the best match in my opinion." The girl replies with a bright grin. "From now on, I'll have to call you umma," she jokes with a giggle, grabbing Taeyeon's other hand with hers.

"Thank you! Thank you!" The older lady whispers as her tears flow down her cheeks. "Thank you Hyunnie!"

"You're welcome!! Just don't forget to let me plan your wedding for you!" She says gleefully as she takes in another scoop of the souflee. "I've always dreamt of doing something like that!!"

"You should just wait when it's your turn to wed." Changmin, who has been silent the whole time, butts in suddenly.

"Hey!! It's not your business!!" The girl snaps at him.

"Your business is my business." He replies casually, causing her to glare at him.

"Are you crazy?"

"Well, as your butler, it's my duty." He explains calmly as if all of it was scripted perfectly by him.

"Appa, just ignore this person! He's out of his mind." The pink Joohyun turns to look at her father, who was grinning.

"Don't worry. I understand young love." The older man winks playfully at her.

"Not you too!" The young girl whines, glancing at her "umma" for support. Unfortunately for her, Taeyeon only smiles at her sheepishly. "Yah!! I should not have agreed!" She crosses her arms madly, puffing her cheeks up.

"Calm down, my baby girl. We approve as well!" He says without specifying but being the smart lady she is, Joohyun gets it and her face turns to an even darker shade of red.

Suddenly, she feels a big palm holding her hand and the familiar warmth comforts her. She makes no attempt to draw her hand from Changmin's grasp and smiles shyly at their skinship.

Closing her eyes for a second, she thanks God for the blessing He has bestowed on her. "Thank you for fixing my family back into one piece."


"You ready to go down, my lady?" The butler asks as he fixes her long train for the umpteeth time.

"But don't you think this is a bit over? After all, I'm not supposed to be the centre of attention today." The girl plays with her curly hair as she inspects herself in front of the full length mirror.

She is in an emerald long gown with a sweet-heart neckline and a peplum waist. It accentuates her figure perfectly yet it just seems too loud for someone who is not the focal point of the party tonight. Her role is to support her father and soon-to-be stepmother, and not be in the spotlight. The chunky statement necklace weighing on her neck does not help tune down the theatrics of the complete look at all.

                                                 

"I should change into something more demure and quiet," she decides after a moment of silence but is stopped by Changmin.

"Your appa and noona chose this out for you. I think they'd like for you to wear this." 

Letting out a sigh of defeat, she turns to her beloved friend and teacher. "But don't you think they'd prefer me to be me?"

The young man hesitates for a second and nods. "I understand what you mean. I'll go pick out another outfit for you then."

The next thing she knows, she is in an elegant white skater dress with a beautiful laser cut lace tank and her only accessory being a stack of simple bracelets. 

                                          

"Sorry for the trouble, oppa." She apologizes.

"There's no need. You know I'll always have your back." He says lovingly, patting her head and bringing her into an embrace. 

"Gomawo. Let's go greet the guests, we've delayed long enough." Joohyun gently pushes the butler away and giving him a peck on the cheek. 

As she steps out from the elevator, the cameras keep flashing, blinding her for a few seconds. However, trained as she now is, it did not take her the least bit by surprise. She waves to the bright lights with poise and dignity like a learned socialite. After all, what's there to be afraid of when she has Changmin beside her, hand resting slightly on the small of her back, guiding her every step whilst making tiny circles with his thumb, soothing her. 

When the photographers have moved on to the next celebrity guest, Joohyun finds Donghae in front of her with a wide grin. He holds out his hand and she gladly takes it. Hand in hand, they stride down to the dance floor where every friend and family are present to witness the engagement of Yunho and Taeyeon. 

"It's been half a year since the last party here," The young entrepreneur starts off the conversation as he twirls his little dongsaeng around. "That was your inauguration party, wasn't it?"

"Dae," she replies.

"What a transformation you've gone through in this short time!" He let out an emotional breath. "Now you're truly the socialite ahjussi has always hoped you'll be."

"You think? He nagged me a while back saying that I didn't turn out the way he wanted." She expresses her frusration to her brother-like sunbae. 

"It was when you were not in a good place." The girl frowns at his words. "Oppa knows and it's ok. Everyone has his or her ups and downs. I can see that you're happy for real now."

"You know, Hyunnie, I should have stepped forward earlier and then you might not get hurt. I seriously thought Changmin-ssi would do a good job when he promised me he'd solve the issue so many months ago. Turns out, he's as much a fool as everyone else when it comes to love. I failed my oath to protect you and I'm sorry for that." Donghae says in a heavy tone as he pauses their dance and leads her out of the dance floor.

"You need not apologize for it wasn't your fault at all. Let's just say that this experience was a memorable life lesson for me." The younger one wraps an arms round his torso, patting his back to comfort him. Despite the many ways Lee Donghae acts mature and is an oppa to Joohyun, he can be childish at times and depends on others to console him as well.

"Don't you feel slighly embarassed that as I, as your dongsaeng, have to cheer you up?" She asks, hitting him slightly harder than usual.

"Yah!" He yelps and he scrunches his nose at her, scruffing her hair at the meantime.

"Stop it!" She hisses, spanking his hand from her head. "You're such a choding, you know?"

But in her heart, she is mentally thanking God. "Thank you for granting me a protector in the form of Donghae oppa!"


As she wanders around the transformed dining room, seeking familiar faces, she spots one person she least expected to see. She struggles for a moment as to whether she should go up and greet him but understands that both of them needed closure.

"I hope you are enjoying yourself, Jessica-ssi." Joohyun walks up to the cold girl with a warm smile. 

"Please, call me Miss Jung." The older girl replies coldly with a fake smirk. If looks could kill, Joohyun would probably be dead by now from her icy glare.

"Anyways, I'm glad you came." The younger one answers good-naturedly, not at all interested in picking a fight. After all, her business was not with this spoilt socialite but the person behind her.

"As if I want to be here for an oldie's engagement party." The blonde mumbles under her breath but Joohyun pretends she did not hear.

"So, I see you don't only have Kri-ssi by your side. Do you mind introducing me to this young man?" 

Jessica lets out a pissed grunt upon her requests. "This is Xi Luhan, my new butler."

"Hi, Luhan-ssi." Joohyun greets her old acquaintance as if it's the first time they meet. "Miss Jung, do you mind me borrowing him for a while?"

The cold lady nods unwillingly though she was tempted to say no.

"Thank you then!! I'll return him as soon as possible!" Joohyun leaves with a light bow and motions the butler to follow her. They walk outside to the small garden, a quiet place which is away from the crowd and a good destination for a private chat.

"So how are you these days? I'm really sorry for how things ended between us." The girl begins as she looks up at the night sky, observing the sparkling stars that are above her.

"Fine, just fine." He answers shortly. "No apology is required. No one can blame another for what the heart desires to act, right?"

She stares at him, unsure of whether he has really shed the burden. The way he says things makes her feel he has moved on but his eyes say otherwise.

"You don't have to bother about me. All I need is time." He focuses his sight from the starry night to her and their eyes meet. 

"How about we bid each other formally? My departure just seemed kind of rush." 

She nods, getting slightly teary. Somehow, she just hates herself for breaking someone so dear to her.

"Would a kiss be too much to ask from you?" He asks with a sad smile.

Joohyun made no respond. She was torn within. On one hand, she does not want Luhan to misunderstand. On the other, she finds it awful to reject the person who has stood by her in the worst time possible of her life.

Slowly, the boy leans in closer to her, inch by inch. She shuts her eyes, anticipating a touch on the lips but he has kissed her on the cheeks.

"It would have been very ungentlemanly of me. Especially when your boyfriend is watching." He says, staring behind her. "I wish you the best of luck!" And he leaves.

"Dear Lord, though I might not be able to return his affection, I pray he'll have your blessings to guide him through all hardships." She thinks to herself as she watches him getting back into the ballroom, disappearing amongst the sea of merry guests. 

"What were you doing here?" Changmin, who came out as he spot the two alone, asks, breaking her trance.

"Just talking. We needed disclosure." She explains, heaving a huge sigh. The butler is not the suspicious kind and she knows that he'll understand whatever's best for her.

"Then has that helped relieve you?" He settles beside her, joining her in the star gazing.

She shakes her head lightly. "No, not completely. I just feel empty inside, like I've lost an important friend."

"When you try too hard to mend a friendship, it's not real. There's no need to push yourself. If Luhan-ssi is meant to be close to you, he will, eventually. If not, you'll drift apart one way or another." Taking in the beautiful scenery above him, he allows those words to flow out of his lips. 

She chuckles lightly. "You know, you sound really like Luhan --- acting all so philosophical." He joins in the laugh.

They said no more for a long time, only admiring the wonderful night around them. The fresh spring breeze is blowing and they could smell the woody scent of the green grass. All they can hear are the muffled cries and laughters of all those who have gathered here to celebrate with her appa and Taeyeon.

Suddenly, Joohyun breaks the silence. "Then what should we do about us?"

There was no reply from the boy except for his deep breathing noises. She turns to him, wondering if he has already fallen asleep. Yet, he has his eyes wide, and hand under his chin, as if contemplating an answer.

Slowly, he shifts his body and faces her. He takes her by the shoulders, forcing her to look at him. 

"I, Shim Changmin, will always be Seohyun's Butler." He pauses a second and continues, "But most importantly, I'm Seo Joohyun's guardian, protector and most of all... her namja." His signature grin lights up his serious face as soon as he was done.

"Aish!! Why's every man I know a choding!!" She yells up to the infinte darkness, yet at the same moment, she wishes for the skies to hear what she has to say in her mind: My life may not have been straight up easy and happy, but I'm glad to say that through these tiny turmoils, I've found the one I love with all my heart, who I can depend on the whole of my life --- Shim Changmin.

"Hey!! After all the touching things I've said, don't you think you should have some sort of indication as well?" He asks, arms crossed as if he were real furious.

Before he can react, she has her hands on his shoulders, supporting as she tiptoes and plants a kiss on his lips.

A happy grin tugs on her lips. "Here it is."


Author's note:

Well, I think this is truly the end. I don't know if this is crappy for an ending but I'm pretty happy with it!! Thank you for bearing with my irregular updates :P

I understand that it might be intense to sum up the story in one chapter but this most certainly was a really long chapter. At least, to my standards it is. :P

Now that I've finished this story, I'll be working on my new one "Mr. Right...On Hold". I think it's going to be a one shot... I'm really not to sure XD

Anyways, thank you for supporting me all the way!! I never expected as much views for this story as it does since Changseo is pretty underrated here on AFF. In all honesty, I should write more underrated pairings, so shame on me for starting a Seohan fanfic. I just felt the need to give Seohan a happy ending after all the ups and downs I've put them through in this one ;P

I'm open for any requests, as long as it's Seohyun related LOL You know I'm a die-hard Seomate :D

If you loved the story or even even liked it a teensy tiny bit, please upvote and comment!! It would completely and utterly make my day!!!!

SARANGHAEYO!!!