Chapter 3: Reasons and Explanations

Seohyun's Butler

Joohyun had woken up to find a blanket tucked snugly under her arms which she found most weird. She could clearly recall that she had dozed off during one of ritual meditation sections and so it was not possible for her to be neatly beneath the covers. Scratching her head, she wondered if it was her father that had done it but at that instant, the door bell to the mansion rang and the servant announced the return of Mr. Seo.

So it could not have been appa, she thought.

That's when her butler came out from the parlor, causing her to jump at his sudden utterance, "Dinner is served, my Lady."

 I doubt it's him. Or is he? She shuddered inwardly at that strange idea, alarming the observant man.

He moved into her walk-in closet and in no time, placed a cardigan over her shoulders. "You should be careful not to catch a cold, my Lady." She was about to thank him when he continued. "Or it would mean more work for me." 

Those words were harsh and she willed herself not to argue with him. Despite his rudeness, Joohyun muttered a low "Kamsahamnida" to him before proceeding to the dining room. She would not give this cold, arrogant man the satisfaction to see her lose her calm.

As she walked out of her room, she caught her reflection in the mirror and noticed that the embellished black cardigan the butler had chosen, surprisingly amped up the boring t-shirt and jeans ensemble she had on. She now seemed more of a sophisticated lady than a uni freshman but she couldn't decide if she liked it. Nonetheless, she would give it to the cold male for his sense of style.


When the elevator door had opened, Joohyun was surprised to see her dad standing in front of her. It took her some time to realize who the grey-haired man was for it had been nine long years since they last met. Indeed, there was the invention of Skype that would have allowed the father and daughter to meet face-to-face, but with the time difference and Mr. Seo's busy schedule, they could only manage short conversations over the phone and long emails from Joohyun but short replies from her dad. 

Now, seeing her appa physically overwhelmed her so and she could not help but shed a tear (she was not one to cry). She rushed forth to the old man, who welcomed her with open arms that Joohyun had missed so so much. 

"I can't believe you are finally home, Hyunnie." He said, sounding a bit muffled from his tears, hands patting her hair.

"If only you have called me home earlier, ahbuhji." She replied, removing herself from the embrace and pursing her lips.

"So Hyunnie's angry?" He chuckled, tears still staining his cheeks, He might have a tough exterior and extremely narrow-minded when it came to Joohyun but he was in fact as soft as a teddy bear.

"Yes, AH-BUH-JI." Joohyun emphasized the word. Since she was young, she had called her father appa except when she was fed up with him, then she would address him the formal way, ahbuji. It had always been her way to hint at him her displeasure.

"Okay then, sweetie. Let's have dinner now and hopefully, your anger will subside when your stomach is full." Mr. Seo said and pinched Joohyun on her cheeks, making her stick out her tongue. The two then headed towards the dining table.

Unbeknownst to her, the butler had been observing their interaction and found it greatly entertaining. It was hard to believe that a girl who was so shy as to faint in front of cameras could have such a bubbly side. I guess I'll know her better as time passes, he thought. For once, he was anticipating his job. 

"Changmin, are you joining us?" Mr. Seo's voice echoed in the hallways. At that, the butler scolded himself for losing focus and quickend his footstep towards the dinner table. 


Changmin had rejected the man's repeated invitation to sit with them for supper and opted to stand aside to serve them.

"Aigoo, Changmin, always so professional. As I have said so many times, loosen up yourself." The old man said as he stuffed his mouth with salad, but the quiet male made no attempt to respond.

Joohyun found it weird that her father seemed so close with that damned butler of hers, as if he were an old acquaintance. She decided to drop it for now and question her appa later after meal.

During the dinner, Joohyun shared her life in US with her father, who was very eager to learn more of her experience. He would laugh at her funny encounters and make hilarious jokes that caused her to giggle heartily. In all honesty, she had never seen him so joyful before and she was glad. Despite his grey hair, he now looked younger than when her mother had passed away. If the years spent in the states had meant her father's full recovery and happiness, she would not mind going through it all over again.


As the servants came to collect the dishes when the meal was over, Joohyun expressed her wish to speak with her appa priavtely and they headed to his office. 

"So what is it that you wanted to talk about, Hyunnie? I hope you aren't still angry with me," he said, closing the door behind him. 

"Of course not, appa. I just wanted to enquire about my butler." She replied with a smile which the father returned with a mischievous grin.

"What of Changmin, eh? Do you like him already?" Mr. Seo teased, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Maldo andwae! I just wondered why you hired him. He is rude and indifferent. Not only to me, but to you as well!!" She exclaimed, clearly frustrated about the whole situation.

"Well, did you know he is the best of the best at what he does?"

"If you mean his skills of retorting and being mean, then I do. But if you're implying he is good at being a butler, I cannot agree." Joohyun let out a huff, crossing her arms.

"Give him time, my dear. I am sure you are aware of my work to assist children's studies, don't you?" Seeing his daugheter nod, he continued. "Changmin was one of those kids and certainly the most special and hardworking of the bunch. He has immense talent. Moreover, you'll need help in being transformed to a socialite. The path to it isn't easy for it is an art you'll have to learn to master it. Changmin will be your guide."

Then he pulled Joohyun in for a hug. "You have no idea how proud and glad I am for you, Hyunnie. I am sure your mother is as well."

With her father's arms still tightly wrapped around her, she asked, "So can I get rid of him once I am well trained?"

He released her from his embrace then and straightened himself. "That, I think, Hyunnie, is quite impossible, until the day you marry. For every lady must have a butler. That is the rule of the Seoul upper class."

The information shook her. "Then I must find me a husband this instant."

Mr. Seo chuckled at her statement and added, "One most important rule you must bear in mind, my daughter: Never fall in love with your butler."

"That will not be a problem at all." 

Giving him a confident look, Joohyun left her father's study.


Joohyun returned to her room with a heavy heart. She had wanted to dig deeper into Changmin... NO, Joohyun, you must call him nothing but Butler Shim, she thought... Butler Shim's past but what her father offered had been too little. For now, she would just have to endure that butler's presence until she found a man who would raise her from this curse. 


Author's Note: Yay! Another update :) I hope you are enjoying the story! I can't stress enough the appreciation I have for all of you readers, subscribers and commenters!!! I will try to update every day if possible! If you think this story is worth it, do vote it up :)