How Did He Know?

My One Year Deal

*Seung HaNeul's POV* 

 

 

In the van both managers sat in the front, mine driving, while SooHyuk and I sat in the back. SooHyuk told my manager where we were going, Gangnam shopping district, Cheongdam. The van was uncomfortably quite. I tried staring out the window for a few minutes, but I couldn't take the awful silence my manager was responsible for. Turning to SooHyuk I asked, "Where are we going first?"

"We are going to Cheongdam. The area has the best stuff."

"Oh, I have been wanting to go there since I touched down," I said excited. I looked in my wallet but I only had a little bit of cash. Guess I'll have to use my debit card. I sighed to myself, then looked at the back of my manager and smiled. "Oppa~" I singed using aegyo. "Are you going to pay for my house supplies?~"

"Ha. I'm only paying for the necessary supplies, everything else you are going to have to pay for." I glared at the back of his head, anger my stupid aegyo didn't work.

"Arasseo. Drive faster." I ordered.

"Yah! That's no way to speak to your elder."

"Pft."

"Yah!" He looked back at me.

"The road!" I yelled pointing at the red light behind him.

"Hyung!" Both SooHyuk and his manager yelled. His manager reaching for the steering wheel. My manager turned his head back while stomping on the break. We were all jerked forward from the sudden stop. SooHyuk put one arm out in front of me to stop me from hitting my head on the back of passenger’s seat, while his other arm stopped himself. My manager did the same to SooHyuk's manager. 

"Ow!"

"Are you guys alright?" My manager asked.

"Ye." SooHyuk's manager answered while SooHyuk just nodded.

"HaNeul?"

I pushed the hair that had flung into my face back. I looked at each of them concern in their eyes. "Ye, I'm fine. Just got hair in my face," I said taking a small brush and mirror out of my bag. "Kamsahaeyo," I turned towards SooHyuk.

"Mhm," he smiled. I returned his smile then buckled myself in. Both of us spent the next the rest of the ride fixing our hair, straitening our clothes, and staring aimlessly at our phones. Once again the van was completely silent until we parked in a space in the middle of the parking lot.

"We are here," my manager parked and unlocked the doors. I slid the van's door open and let the cool air wrap around me. I stepped out of the van trying to look as natural and chic as possible. SooHyuk followed quickly behind doing what I was trying to, much more effortlessly.

First we went into an all organic cleaning supplies store. "Why does it have to be organic?" my manager asked.

"Because I'm from California and I like to be clean and green."

"Such a stupid excuse," he mumbled but I ignored him handing a few supplies to SooHyuk. He looked unamused but I ignored him too. After we had gathered our supplies we headed to check cute and cool face masks. I immediately grabbed one putting the cute cartoon cat mouth on myself and called Soo Hyuk over.

"Aren't they cool?" I asked as I put the monster mouth on SooHyuk. We both looked in the small mirror on the shelf smiling with our eyes. SooHyuk’s fit his thin, angled face perfectly.

"Yah! Are you getting couple masks?"

"Aniyo! We need them when we clean and when the air is polluted to keep our skin clean," I rationalized, slightly blushing under the mask. My manager glared at us while SooHyuk's eyes smiled probably from silently laughing behind the mask. I glared back at my manager as we were rung up.

"Will you be taking the mask as will?" the woman behind the register asked. I glanced at my manager again as he was taking out the company credit card. He was still glaring at me and SooHyuk.

If he keeps glaring his face is going to be stuck like that. "Uh, ye." Then I looked up at SooHyuk, "Are you keeping yours?" He caught my manager’s glare and turned back to me and winked.

"Ye, we'll take both," he nodded at the clerk, his deep voice slightly muffled by the mask. We gave the woman the masks and she placed them in our bag, along with everything else we bought. My manager paid and we left. We all walking down the street to a clothing boutique SooHyuk and I leading. "Do we really have to be chaperoned by them all day?" SooHyuk whispered pretending to look at his phone.

"How should we ditch them?" I whispered back, pretending to look up at the shops signs.

"We will send your manager away first then we can easily lose mine. Now follow my lead." I nodded as SooHyuk turned to our managers. "Hyung, why don't you put the bag back in the van?" SooHyuk's acting skills sung out.

"We will wait in this boutique until you get back," I put in.

"Fine," he glared slightly suspicious. "I'll be right back." He turned walking back towards the van. We both glanced at each other with a small grin on our faces.

"Hey, I'm still here you know," SooHyuk's manager said waving his hand. "Go in, we will wait for Hyung to get back," he ushered us into the clothing boutique. For a minute we looked around picking up clothing items we had no intention of trying on. SooHyuk's manager was looking at clothes too. I met SooHyuk's eyes from across the store. He nodded and we both headed towards the back where the dressing rooms. Inside I placed all the things I was carrying on a bench in the corner. A few seconds later SooHyuk called for his manager.

"Hyung, can you get this in a smaller size?" he asked as I saw a pair of jeans fly over his dressing room door.

"Where did you get this?"

"In the front by the window." Fading footsteps followed after SooHyuk’s request. We waited a few seconds the opened the doors. Both our bags firmly on our back or in our hands ready to run. SooHyuk silently motioned for me to follow him towards a door marked ‘Employees Only.’ We easily slipped in the door getting weird looks from employees the whole time. SooHyuk led me to the back door leading to a small alley where employees from other shops were on a smoke break. We simply walked passed them, down the alley onto the main sidewalk. "Do you want to get something to eat?"  

"Ye, is there a coffee shop around here?" I asked looking at the store signs ahead of us.

"Ne, I know a pretty good one that is close." He led the way down a couple of blocks, until we got to a small but unique looking coffee shop. Its walls were decorated with different masks of expressions and faces. It was full with people ordering and drinking their coffees, teas, or hot chocolates, trying to escape the cold, cloudy morning. We both waited in line for five minutes before we could order. I ordered a spice tea and SooHyuk got a cinnamon coffee. I insisted we pay separately since I didn't want to owe him anymore favors. SooHyuk looked slightly offended by it but I flashed him a bright smile before leading the way outside.

We walked slowly down the street, the concrete with a light coat of water from the rain earlier in the morning. SooHyuk pulled out a white pack of cigarettes from his bag and shook out one. I stared at him in disgust while he did so. “Please don’t smoke around me,” I said stopping on the sidewalk. I then pointed at two signs on either sides of the street. Both read ‘No Smoking Area.’  

“Oh, mianhae.” He stopped putting the cigarette back and the pack into his bag.

“How often do you smoke?” I asked continuing to walk with him again.

"Not as often as you think. I'm a social smoker." 

"Social smokers aren't real smokers, right?" 

"I guess you can say that..." 

"Good. That means you won't have a problem stopping as long as we live together." I flashed a pearly smile then entered a fancy shoe boutique, SooHyuk trailing behind me. 

"What? You want me to stop immediately?" he asked, as we scanned over the store's selection. 

"Ne," I picked up a unique looking men's shoe, looking between it and SooHyuk. "I would be super happy if you threw away the pack you have now." 

"Why do you care so much if I smoke?" SooHyuk walked closer, forcing me to put down the shoe. 

"Simple. I hate the smell it leaves on clothes and on your breath," I felt my cheeks heating up.

"Is that all?" 

"I have to breathe the same air you smoke since we live together and it will ruin your nice voice-" I tried to stop myself from saying that last part but it was too late. What is wrong with me! My ears were on fire and the small distance between myself and SooHyuk was not helping me cool down. 

"Ah, so you think my voice is nice?" he smiled. "I only get deep and y but never nice. Kamsahaeyo~" SooHyuk in my eyes as he thanked me but I couldn't met his. "Are you going to buy those," he poked at the shoe I had put down, grinning. "Because I don't think they come in your size?" 

"Aniyo, I'm not buying them for myself. I'm buying them for my father," I picked the shoe up again and, slipping passed SooHyuk's tall body, I asked for they correct size and paid. We left and looked through countless stores for hours, buying only a few items. The air was as cold as yesterday and it had started to lightly rain. We sat in another coffee house with our bags under our table, resting and laughing, until my phone went off. I took it out of my purse and read the caller ID, Manager Oppa and instantly my happy expression disappeared. 

"What is it?" SooHyuk asked noticing my smile drop. He look down at my ringing phone and his face tensed. "Want me to answer it?" concern in his voice.

"Aniyo, I'll answer it," I slide the green phone icon to the right and held the cell phone to my ear. "...Yoebaseyo?" 

"Yah! Where did you guys run off to?! We have been searching for you guys for hours and you won't answer our text!" 

"You wouldn't have to search for us if you weren't breathing down our necks every time we said one word to each other!" I countered in English. SooHyuk stared down at me, trying to read my face since he didn't understand what I was saying. I heard a gasp from the other side of the line. Maybe I was too blunt.

"I wasn't breathing down your neck, just simply watching over you." 

"Well I am not a child so you don't need to watch over me that much. And you don't need to watch over me when I am with my mentor.

"But your mentor is an attractive male model-" 

"Because I am training to become a model. Look Oppa," I sighed, running a hand through my hair "I don't want to argue with you all today so we can talk again privately when we are done shopping." 

"When is that going to be?" 

"I have no idea. I'll text or call you if I want you to come pick us up. You can drop the house supplies at the apartment.

"How long are you going to be like this?" my manager sighed, sounding defeated. 

"As long as it takes for you to get I'm not having some secret love affair with my mentor.

"Fine. Don't waste all your father's money on pointless buys." 

"Ye~ Annyeong~" I hung up first. I put my phone away and looked up meeting SooHyuk's deep eyes. "What?"

"What happen?" his eyes full of curiosity and concern. 

"Oh, nothing. I took care of it," I smiled across the small table. SooHyuk didn't return the smile though. Instead he leaned into the table, his hand supporting his head and his expression the same as when I met him. 

"You should stop using English every time you speak to your manger." 

"Why?" 

"I want to hear what you are saying." 

"Why are you so curious about what I am talking about?" 

"Because whenever you use English you usually mention me." I felt my cheeks turning pink, so I picked up my cup of hot chocolate and took a long sip from it. "And I was wondering," SooHyuk's expression turning dead serious. "When were you planning on eating that breakfast you promised your manager you would?" I froze in place from both shock and fear. 

He knows. How long as he known and why hasn't he reported me to the company yet? I tried to recover myself. Breathe in, breathe out.  Trying hard to seem calm and collected, I gently set my cup down on the table top. "Oh, that's right. I had completely forgotten about eating while we were shopping. Should we order something here?" I asked, smiling innocently. 

"What type is it?" SooHyuk asked, his dark eyes burning holes into me. 

"What type is what?" My mask slowly cracking. 

"What type of eating disorder did you have to develop to get here?" He saw right through my facade, and my mask shattered into pieces. 

"How?" I asked voice both completely serious and shaking from extreme fear. "How did you know?" 

"Lots of trainees and professional models have eating disorders but that doesn't mean all of us do. Some of us are blessed with being naturally, impossibly, tall and skinny but they rest of us have to work for it. I am blessed enough to be born like this and I know you are too, so that only leaves three questions. What kind is it? Why did you develop it? And do you want my help?" The bell over the coffee house door rung signaling someone had entered. I looked towards the sound trying to buy time before I had to answer SooHyuk's questions, and saw a tall handsome man with wavy long hair and a very cute smile, heading to our table. 

"SooHyuk Hyung!" the handsome man greeted SooHyuk warmly and saved me from having a panic attack in the middle of a coffee house. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Mianhamnida readers and subscribers *bows* Still short but because I feel really terrible for not updating in weeks I decided to put something up. Half the wait was because of writers block but now that I started this chapter I can't stop writing. I hope you enjoy this short chapter and forgive me for the awfully long wait. And I hope you are excited for appearances from Hong JungHyun and many more of LSH's beautiful friends. (A gift for being a y author?)