Chapter 4

Shining Star

Chapter 4

Kibum left soon after Dongho and Soohyun did, still pondering over what Dongho had told him. A coincidence that he met Kevin, or had the younger boy planned it all out?

And, really, who was he? Some random person (if it really was a coincidence)? A -- he didn't even want to consider this -- stalker? Kibum shuddered. Who would want to stalk him, he being the boring person he was? Too many questions, Kibum decided, with far too few answers to each of them.

He found himself walking to the local library, heading to the section on Arts and picking out his favourite book, one thick and heavy with portraits drawn by world-famous artists. As he was reaching for the book, his hand brushed against another, smaller, paler hand. He glanced up, "Kevin??"

The younger boy stared back, but his glance was expressionless, though Kibum thought he saw a hint of a smile on his lips. "Hey, Kibum. Um," he gestured at the book. "Here, you can take it."

Kibum mumbled a word of thanks, and was about to turn away when he suddenly remembered his promise to himself the other day. "Wanna go sit down somewhere and talk?"

They ended up back at the cafe, since Kevin insisted on going somewhere that had good coffee. Dongho was, not surprisingly, absent (according to Hoon, his fellow waiter, Dongho had called in and said he wasn't well and couldn't walk. Kibum rolled his eyes at the explanation, but said nothing more.) 

"So," Kibum started as he drank some soda, eyes on Kevin. The boy still had that damned hood up and covering his face. "Just wanted to know, why is it that every time I meet you, your face is covered up?"

Kevin lifted his eyes from his coffee cup, studying Kibum for a moment, before pushing up his hood a little. "I... Don't take well to sunlight." He rushed and changed topic before Kibum could press on any further, "Do you do anything else other than draw?"

"Mm. I read, and I come here to hang out. I generally lead a very mundane life."

Kevin brightened up a little, "Want me to tell you a story?"

Kibum almost laughed out at the childish suggestion, but the eyes staring at him were so happy and sparkling, he couldn't possibly say no. "What kind of story?"

"It's a story." Kevin didn't elaborate further, instead launching ahead into his story-telling:

"The stars up in the sky, the stars you see every night? They aren't really stars, but they're people. Because, when people die, they become one of the stars, where they can see everything that's happening back on Earth. And sometimes, if the star led a really good life, and has someone they love back here, sometimes... They are allowed to come back. They fall back to Earth as shooting stars, and they go back to find their other half. These fallen stars, they can stay on Earth until they kiss their loved one... Then they are required to return to the sky. The end."

Kibum didn't know what to say. "You... Believe in these sorta legends?"

Kevin looked slightly hurt at his words, hands reaching round to play with a ring on his finger. "It's not a legend! It's true! Someone... Someone told me."

"Who?"

A jerk of his fingers made the ring twist. "Someone... I loved." Kibum didn't miss the sadness in Kevin's voice, didn't miss the usage of past tense. "I'm sorry, did I...?"

Kevin smiled back up at him, a bright smile that seemed to erase everything else. "No, it's fine. He's alive, still doing great." A quick glance at the darkening sky, at the ominous clouds looming above the cafe, "I... I've gotta go."

"Wait, can I have your number first?" Kibum called, as he stood up to leave. "Uh... So we can meet up to talk in the future..."

"Don't have one." Kevin took a last mouthful of coffee, grinning mysteriously at Kibum. "Soon." With that single word, he left the cafe.

Kibum was even more intrigued by Kevin after this. By the vague answers that seemed to give nothing away, by the way he said the last word so confidently, like he was so sure of it. He lifted his hand from where it had been folded on the table, before frowning as something rolled off from the tabletop and fell to the ground with a light "clink".

He bent down, picking the object up and realised it was the ring Kevin had been wearing. Holding it tightly, he ran out of the cafe, searching for Kevin's figure. It had barely been a minute, he wouldn't have gone so quickly. To his dismay, he couldn't find him, finally going back in to pay, and heading home.

 

20 minutes later

As Kibum sat down on his bed, he turned the ring over in his hands, feeling the smooth silver metal, still warm from being on Kevin's finger. There were two "K"s engraved on it in cursive script, tangled together as if beginning a dance across the surface. Next to them was a heart, along with the word "Forever" in the same curly font.  What was strange was the glittery dust on the inside of the ring, identical to the particles Kiseop had found on his jacket sleeve. Very strange.

"Kibummie! It's beautiful! I promise I'll wear it forever... And ever... So that it won't end, just like our love~"

All of a sudden, The Voice (as Kibum had called it) sounded in his head. Happy, excited. The two emotions he could hear from those few sentences.

Kibum almost dropped the ring in his shock. This was getting irritating, what was happening to him?

"Hyung~" a voice sang out as Kiseop danced into the room. "Xander -- Where did you get that?" The question was directed towards the ring in Kibum's hand, in a sharp tone.

"Uh, I found it. Why?" he was puzzled by Kiseop's strange reaction to it. "Spit it out, Seop, I know you know something."

"Um. Okay, that's..." Kiseop's face was unusually pale, an expression of fear on his face for a second before it was replaced by its original smile. "Uh anyway, Xander hyung is treating us dinner tonight. He's coming to pick us and Eli up in ten minutes. I've got a call to pick up, bye hyung~" After saying that in a rush, he scurried out of the room and closed the door before Kibum could even reply.

The older man sighed, frustrated. What was with all the question evading today?? He shook his head and placed the ring in his wallet, he would return it to Kevin the next time he saw him. For now, all he wanted to do was have dinner and (possibly) interrogate Kiseop on his words earlier.

"Lee Kiseop!" he called, walking out of his room. "You'd better make yourself clear..."

~

When Eli, Kiseop and Kiseop headed out of the apartment building to where Xander was waiting in his car, they were unaware of a figure, standing round the corner and observing them. In particular, Kibum. As they got into Xander's car, laughing and joking, the person smiled ever so softly, long fingers toying with a silver ring in his hands.

~

 

Sup guys!

Yeah, I updated earlier than expected cause I suddenly remembered the code when I was watching an episode of CLIF (a drama)... When they were using the computers and stuff, the code appeared in my head (maybe because of Elvin Ng's awesomeness kyahaha!) and tada, here is the chapter(unedited and all cause I needa go study)!

Gave away ALOT of stuff here T.T I won't be surprised if you guys figure out the storyline, but anyways!

Hope you enjoyed this, and if you did, scroll down a little further on the page. See that box there? Yeah, leave a comment if you did!:) cause I love them veryvery much~~ *is getting hyper and weird from coffee overdose*

Thanks for reading~~ Stay tuned for the next chapter!

Oh yeah, please support my new going-to-be-updated-soon oneshot, On Rainy Days, at this link:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/52286/on-rainy-days-oneshot-angst-elvin-kemaru-ukiss-

Gomawoyo~!<3