S E V E N

Shut Up, Flower Boy!

 

He had been rehearsing what he'd say all day.
 
Why was he so nervous?
 
It was just her: an old friend that he called in for an old favor.
 
It wasn't really that simple anymore.
 
It had been far more than just a day; she was more than an old friend and this time he owed her.
 
He sighed, pushed his hair back with one hand and rapped his knuckles against the door.
 
It swung open to reveal Jae in leggings and an oversized sweater.
 
"Hyunjae!" Her eyes widened. "It's nice to see you."
 
She beckoned him to come in and he obliged quietly.
 
"What are you doing around here?" She scratched her head and closed the door.
 
He shrugged. "I was in the neighborhood. I thought I'd drop by since it's been a while."
 
"Yeah I've hardly seen you in months and now I see you two days in a row." She laughed lightly. "I'd offer you something but you know where everything is."
 
She waved over her shoulder as she returned to her piano. He followed her and leaned over her as she played.
 
"Is this new?" Hyunjae asked, flipping through the pages of sheet music filled with carefully marked notes.
 
"Just started yesterday." She nodded as her fingers flew over the keys. "I worked on it for hours and it just kept coming to me."
 
He gave her a small smile which she couldn't see behind her anyway.
 
She stopped abruptly and turned to him. "What happened?"
 
"What do you mean?" He asked, startled.
 
"I mean we used to be really close and then you decided to drop off the grid." She furrowed her brow. "I was lucky if I ever heard from you."
 
"I had a lot going on." He said slowly. "In my head and such. But it's okay I think I have it all sorted out now."
 
"Oh." Jae intoned the single syllable. She swung back around and began playing again.
 
Hyunjae turned several pages as she continued. "Geez what did you write, a sonata?"
 
"Close enough." She shrugged and pulled her hands away from the keys.
 
"I missed you." He said quietly.
 
"I missed you too." She said, shoving him. "You can't just disappear on me like that!"
 
"I'm sorry, Jaekyung." He held her chin in his hand to force her to look him in the eye. "I really am."
 
She pried herself free from his grasp and got up. "No one calls me Jaekyung anymore. Not since I was a kid."
 
"Because Jaekyung listened when other's talked." He leaned against the grand piano. "Jae is in charge and tries to make everything run smoothly. It's not always Jae's fault, you know."
 
"Hyunjae.." Her head lolled back and she covered her eyes with her hands.
 
"Sometimes it's my fault." He caught up with her and pulled her hands down to her sides. "I shouldn't have left."
 
"I thought I did something wrong." She shook her head. "I couldn't figure out what happened that made you want to distance yourself."
 
"It wasn't you." He looked around trying to choose his words. "A lot of things just hit me at once. It freaked me out a little bit."
 
Jae looked down at the floor between their feet.
 
"I missed you everyday."
 
She looked up. "You know I care about you, right?"
 
"I do now." He chuckled lightly. Cautiously. Nervously.
 
"Lee Hyunjae you know that if you ever pull that crap again you are in for a whole world of hurt!" She pushed against him.
 
He roared in laughter. "I know, Jae."
 
He took a minute to compose himself. He wrapped his arms around her waist, folding her into his body.
 
"I'm not leaving your side again." He whispered.
 
"You better not." Jae had buried her face in his chest and her words came out muffled.
 
He pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. "I promise."