T W O

Shut Up, Flower Boy!

 

"Minnie over here!"
 
Minkyung searched the lecture hall for Hyuna, her best friend and the only person allowed to call her that. She would have been more embarrassed by the nickname had she not been worn out from calculus the class before. She slid into her seat beside Hyuna and set up her laptop. Music theory was an easy class. Her whole family as far back as they could trace was musically inclined to some extent. She logged into the course's discussion forum while Hyuna chattered about dance class and how one of the younger girls failed at trying to show off. Apparently it was funny.
 
The entire class silenced as the professor walked in. He had that effect on people. Mr. Lee was fairly young to be a teacher but he knew more about music than some of the other teachers Minkyung had in their respective subjects.
 
"He's so hot." Hyuna sighed. Minkyung shook her head. It was true; he was borderline godly. He probably got that kind of reaction from girls all the time.
 
"Today, class, we have a special treat." He started, pushing the sleeves of his white button-down to his elbows. He had already loosened his tie as if he was tired by 11 o'clock in the morning. "I've brought in a guest speaker. She's a composer as well as a performer by profession and I thought she'd be able to tell us about what she does and it's process."
 
"I already know who it's going to be." Minkyung scoffed, slouching in her chair.
 
The door swung open and Jae strolled in. Her eyes instantly found her sister. She raised her eyebrows and Minkyung straightened up in her seat.
 
"Please welcome Miss Jo Jaekyung."
 
The class applauded. Minkyung did so slowly. She was tired and there wasn't enough sugar in the coffee she had taken from her sister earlier. Jae bowed.
 
"Thank you, Hyunjae." She said as she took the podium.
 
"Did she just call him 'Hyunjae'? They're on a first name basis?" Hyuna shook her shoulder vigorously.
 
"They're friends." Minkyung shrugged her friend off as the latter sighed again. This time it was more of a sob.
 
"Mr. Lee's introduction basically summed it up: I'm a composer and performer. I like composing best though. I wrote music for a lot of artists around here and a few in the States." Jae tapped her fingertips on the wooden podium before her while she gathered her thoughts. As if sensing her awkwardness in front of the class, hands started popping up. Questions started streaming, easing the conversation.
 
When it came to a close, Jae thanked the class and teacher, remarking the inquisitiveness of especially one student in the front row.
 
"Myungsoo?" Mr. Lee asked. She nodded. "He's a bright kid."
 
The pupil in question gave a crooked grin as he packed his things.
 
The bell rang and students filed out of the room. Minkyung headed for the front of the class followed by Hyuna.
 
"I'm surprised Minkyung didn't speak up today." Mr. Lee scratched his head. "Usually she participates in conversation more. You too, Hyuna."
 
She bowed to the teacher and sighed as she passed Jae. Minkyung shook her head.
 
"What are you doing for lunch, punk?" Jae asked, grinning.
 
"Letting you buy me food since you fed me crappy breakfast." Minkyung countered. Jae chuckled. They two sisters bid Hyunjae goodbye and headed for the door.
 
"Excuse me, Miss Jo?" Myungsoo caught up to them, positioning his bag on his shoulder.
 
"It's Jae." Jaekyung shook her head.
 
"Miss Jae?" He asked, sending Minkyung a quizzical look.
 
"No, just Jae."
 
"Okay." He nodded nervously. He looked kind of like a bobble head doll. "I wanted to know, if you had a few minutes, if I could ask you a couple questions for an article for the school paper."
 
"Sorry but I've got no time." Jae wrinkled her nose. "You can join us for lunch though and ask as many questions as you want."