T H R E E

Shut Up, Flower Boy!

 

"Myungsoo, be a dear and pay for these while we get a table." Jae handed him a roll of bills. Myungsoo nodded and talked to the cashier while the two sisters scoured Starbucks for a place to sit. Minkyung elbowed her as she pulled out a seat.
 
"What was that for?!"
 
"Why did you invite him?" The younger Jo asked, glaring.
 
"You don't like him?" Jae frowned. "He seems like a nice kid."
 
"No I do." Jae couldn't tell if Minkyung's latte was steaming or if she herself was just fuming. She raised an eyebrow at her. "I mean- shut up he's coming."
 
She cleared as Myungsoo approached, sliding the change across the table to Jae who had taken her seat.
 
"So what questions did you have prepared?" Jae asked, taking a sip of her caramel macchiato.
 
"Oh right." Myungsoo pulled a notepad out of his bag. He clicked the pen against the table and read the first question. "When did you first become interested in music?"
 
"I don't really remember." She pondered. "I was enriched in it as a child. We bother were." She made a small gesture toward her sister.
 
Myungsoo nodded and scribbled in his notepad. "What instruments do you play?"
 
"A lot." She laughed. "Mostly guitar and piano. Piano is my favorite."
 
He nodded, adding more to the page.
 
"Minkyung plays guitar."
 
Myungsoo looked up at the younger sister from his writing. "Really?"
 
Her eyes widened. She nodded slowly, having been put on the spot.
 
"Cool." His lips curved into a lopsided smile and he returned to his notepad.
 
Minkyung continued nodding until her sister  kicked her under the table.
 
Myungsoo threw a stream of questions her way until it eventally trickled down.
 
"What type of music do you prefer?"
 
"That's a broad question." Jae pushed a scone in Minkyung's direction. Her eyes lit up at the sight of chocolate drizzled on top.
 
"True.." He made two bullets on his pad. "First what kind of music do you like to listen to?"
 
"Upbeat pop songs are usually playing in the apartment." Jae looked at her sister nodding.
 
Minkyung was ignoring her for the sake of food.
 
"I also like a lot of indie rock and I appreciate a good ballad."
 
Myungsoo had put his pen down. He was watching the younger Jo pull apart the scone into smaller pieces and dunking it in her coffee before plopping the soggy mess into . Jae coughed to clear .
 
"Oh yeah." He shook his head. "What music do you like to write?"
 
"She just writes music." Minkyung said between bites. "One minute it's a sad love ballad and the next is some heavy riff that sounds off until you match it up with a whole band to create a whole sound. She's really versatile."
 
Jae smiled softly as she watched her sister explain and Myungsoo take it all in.
 
"If that'll be all," she said "you should probably get back to school."
 
"You're not coming?" Minkyung asked. She suddenly went rigid.
 
"Nah I've got to get home to work on a jingle for a commercial." Jae waved it away like it was an everyday accomplishment.
 
"For what?" Minkyung hadn't been informed of this new task. Usually her sister told her everything.
 
"Can't say." She shook her head. "But the jingle will be annoying and catchy and it will get stuck in everyone's head. Everyone in Asia will buy this product!"
 
She made an attempt at an evil laugh before giggling on her own.
 
"Myungsoo, can I trust you to get my baby sister back to school safely?"
 
"Of course." He blinked a few times. "Thank you for you time today. And for lunch, ma'am."
 
He shook his head.
 
"I mean, Miss Jo."
 
Minkyung squeezed her eyes shut and pursed her lips to keep from laughing.
 
"I mean, Jae."
 
"He got it!" Jaekyung clapped. "Alright you two, on your way."
 
She shooed them away from the table as she finished her coffee.