F I V E

Shut Up, Flower Boy!

 

"It's getting late." Minkyung said, standing up.
 
"So?" Myungsoo asked.
 
"So Jae gets nervous when I'm out late." She put the guitar down gently. "I should get going."
 
Myungsoo scratched his head. "I'll walk you."
 
"You don't have to." She said, picking up her bag.
 
"Yes I do. It's not safe for girls like you around here." He stood up and put on his jacket.
 
"What do you mean girls like me?" Minkyung pouted.
 
"You know." He gave her a crooked smile. "Pretty."
 
"What?" She asked again, pursing her lips.
 
"I'm not saying it again!" He pushed her lightly toward the stairs. "You're enjoying this far too much."
 
Minkyung shook her head laughing.
 
Back out on the street, the sky was dusky. Myungsoo wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her close.
 
"What are you-?" She squirmed.
 
"Just trust me." He ushered her along quickly, eyeing a certain group of boys off to the side.
 
He let her go as they neared the train station. Minkyung didn't question it.
 
They sat across from each other again on the train. She shivered. Myungsoo shucked off his jacket and held it toward her.
 
"Take it."
 
"I'll be fine." She pushed it away.
 
"If you don't take it I'll be really offended." He chuckled and shook it at her.
 
"Fine." She glared at him and took it, slipping it on. She crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat."
 
"You really don't like being helped, do you?" Myungsoo leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.
 
"I like to take care of myself." She said pointedly.
 
"Says the girl whose big sister wakes her up and makes her breakfast every morning." He rolled his eyes. "Shut up."
 
"She's all I've got left."
 
He in his breath and stood as the train rolled to a halt. He grabbed Minkyung's hand as she blew past him.
 
"What are you doing?" She laughed lightly. "There are no thugs on my side of town."
 
"I know." He smiled to himself.
 
It had since gotten black out and Minkyung led him down the street. She stopped at the corner and turned to the first house on the block.
 
"You live up there?" Myungsoo pointed to the top of the building.
 
"Yup." She looked up. "Way up there."
 
She wiggled free of his hand and took a step toward the outside staircase. "So I'll see you tomorrow?"
 
"Yeah, see you tomorrow." He stood in the street, scratching his neck.
 
Minkyung waved awkwardly before taking the stairs two at a time. She waited outside the door until she saw him walk away, frustrated, with his hands in his jeans pockets and it occurred to her that she still had his jacket.
 
She opened the door and found her sister seated at her grand piano. She slid next to her on the bench seat.
 
"Hey, punk." Jae said, marking a sheet of paper in front of her. "Where were you all day?"
 
"No where." She sighed. The older sister looked at her sideways.
 
"And you expect me to be okay with that?"
 
Minkyung paused for a second and nodded vigorously. Jae shrugged and returned to her music.
 
Minkyung crept off to her room and took of Myungsoo's jacket, hanging it up on her desk chair. She peeled off her clothes and pulled on a giant t-shirt before climbing into bed. She hummed his song one more time before falling asleep to the sound of her sister playing.