F O U R

Shut Up, Flower Boy!

 

"You didn't really have to walk me back you know." Minkyung squinted in the sunlight as the stepped onto campus.
 
"I was coming back here anyway." Myungsoo shrugged. "For a little while at least."
 
A funny tone crept into his voice and Minkyung turned to look at him. His expression turned smug.
 
"And by that you mean?" She approached the question cautiously, not sure if she really wanted to know the answer.
 
Myungsoo stuffed his hands in his coat pockets and his bottom lip. "Do you wanna skip?"
 
"Aren't we a little too old for skipping?"
 
Myungsoo laughed as the eyebrow that had shot up on Minkyung's forehead eased it's way down. "I mean I have a small studio uptown. I was trying to ask if you wanted to check it out."
 
"Oh." Minkyung bit the inside of her cheek and contemplated missing class. "Alright let's go."
 
He chuckled darkly before grabbing Minkyung's hand and looking around. He dragged her back down the way they came and veered off toward the train station.
 
"I have a feeling you do this often." She said as he expertly picked his way through the throngs of people milling around the station.
 
"Enough." Myungsoo nodded, focusing. Having stopped to wait for the train to arrive, he realized he still clung to Minkyung's hand and dropped it, coughing. "Basically I need your help."
 
He paused for a minute and looked around at the others who were waiting. "I'm trying to record a demo and I'm stuck."
 
"So you really need my sister's help." Minkyung rolled her eyes, turning away.
 
"No." Myungsoo grabbed her wrist. "You're just as good as your sister. I want you."
 
Minkyung blinked.
 
"To help me, that is." He cleared his throat. "I want you to help me."
 
"Alright." She sighed. "You can let go of me now."
 
"If I do, will you walk away?"
 
Minkyung held her words for a second. "No."
 
Myungsoo released his grasp on her wrist and it fell down to her side. The train pulled up and they boarded. They took seats across from each other. Minkyung periodically checked her phone while Myungsoo watched the people around them.
 
The train rumbled to a stop and Myungsoo stood. Minkyung followed him off as they went out onto the street and into the sunlight. He gestured for her to keep close as they approached a run-down apartment complex.
 
"Downstairs is mine." He said, leading her. "It's sound-proof. So no one can hear you scream."
 
He looked over his shoulder and laughed.
 
"Very funny." Minkyung's eyes narrowed and she shoved his shoulder.
 
"Alright, alright." He raised his hands in resignation on the way down the steps. He flicked on the light as he passed. He veered off to a small kitchen to retrieve a drink from the fridge. Minkyung went in the opposite direction into what would be the livingroom if it hadn't been converted into a small sound studio.
 
She dropped her school bag on the floor and went to pick up one of the guitars that rested against the wall. She sat down on an amp and pulled the strap over her head. Her fingers found some familiar frets and she began strumming, slowly at first but falling into an old, routine riff that she had memorized. There was a page of music in front of her and she quickly read over it and reset her fingers, referencing the sheet before playing. Her brow furrowed and she started over.
 
"That's what I need your help with." Myungsoo stood in the doorway holding his beverage. "I've played it a thousand times but it sounds.."
 
"Off." Minkyung finished for him. She picked up the paper and hummed it to herself. "Bring it up a half step."
 
Myungsoo took a seat next to Minkyung and picked up another guitar. She took a sip of his drink that he had set down between them as he changed the key.
 
"How did you-?" He stopped himself. Minkyung shrugged. "You're a genius."
 
"Kinda." She laughed. "It runs in the family. That was nothing."
 
"'Nothing'?" He asked. "I've been stuck on this for days!"
 
"Maybe you just ." Minkyung smirked.