chapter 3

Poor Prince

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

After the class ended, students calmly walked out to go to their next class. No rush was allowed there. Everything should be done smooth and elegantly.

Kyungsoo busily put back his stuffs into his bag and checked his next schedule.

"I'll have the music class next." He tilted his head toward Sehun who slouched on his seat lazily, arms folded behind his head.

"Same," Sehun replied.

"Cool..!"

"By the way, is your stomach okay? You just had the Number 2 in the toilet, right?" Kyungsoo whispered in a mischievous tone, nudging Sehun's shoulder playfully.

 

At first Sehun was oblivious to the question. He processed the question in his brain, and after he realized what Kyungsoo meant by that, he stiffened. Sehun was so embarrased. Blood was rushing to his face, he could feel his ears turned red. He straightened up his position immediately,

"Y-you. Ahem. You cannot say such things here. Th-that is so barbaric. You have to say 'lavatory' or 'the loo' to refer to- to such things." Sehun paused to calm himself down, and continued efficiently, "Anyway, what I meant by restroom was literally a room for the students to have a rest. I will take you there sometime."

 

"One thing you should know, Exo International High School is not a common school. It is basically a school built to produce quality enterpreneurs. Any other lessons; such as business studies, management, basic international law class, are made to fulfil the goal. Students are allowed to skip any basic lesson as long as they have the brain to ace the subject at the exam, which has to be proven on the previous exams," Sehun looked toward Kyungsoo to make sure the boy caught every word before continuing,

"In my case, I am allowed to skip any lesson whenever I want," he added flatly.

"What is the point of wasting your time learning something you're already good at? It's not efficient. The basic subjects are needed to pass the national exam and then be forgotten instantly afterward anyway. Better to learn other things that are actually useful," said Sehun to end his long explanation.

 

Kyungsoo went silent for a good minute. He needed time to digest things that were new to him. He bit his upper lips unconsciously. It's logical, he decided. Kyungsoo nodded.
Okay!" Kyungsoo chirped. His broad smile was more like a goofy grin. "Thank you for telling me."

"So tell me, what lessons are considered useful for the future then?" Kyungsoo looked up at Sehun with curious eyes.

 

"Cooking," The taller boy answered nonchalantly. Standing up, he began to walk outside without looking back, leaving the small boy frowning in deep thought.

 

 

 

***

 

 

The music class was located at the fifth floor in the same building. They took the elevator to go there to save time. Kyungsoo was thankful he got Sehun to accompany him; he would surely get lost in this huge place, no wonder Mr Lee was so worried about him. He was told that freshmen usually got their own escorts to accompany them for the whole semester to go from one class to another.

 

As every other class, the wooden door of the music class was hand-carved beautifully.

Kyungsoo learned that each class door had their own design; as for the door for the music class, it was carved with some kind of musical notation of a song. Kyungsoo asked out his curiousity before they entered the room. "What's carved on the door?"

Sehun looked at the door with an uninterested glance and answered, "School's hymne."

Kyungsoo felt an urge to cry at that moment. The school. Has. Its own hymne. Carved on the door.

 

 

***

 

 

There were only ten people in the music class, twelve with the addition of Sehun and Kyungsoo, despite the fact that the room was remarkably spacious; it looked more like a miniature of a recital hall rather than a classroom. The music room had an Italian Reinassance design combined with finely made architectural notes. The small balcony it owned fit for a small audience.

Kyungsoo was in awe. It took his breath away seeing all the beautiful things inside.

 

The music teacher clapped her hands, demanding her class' attention. "Good afternoon class, as I have given you the assignment before, each of you have to perform a classical song of your choice today. Remember that this assignment will be added to your final score, so please work hard to do well," she said sternly.

She looked at Kyungsoo, and added, "Ah. As for you, Mr. Do, you have one week of preparation; it will be quite difficult for you, because there will be another assignment next week."

Kyungsoo nodded with a smile.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes were fixed on the shiny white grand piano at the centre, staring at the beautiful instrument longingly.

 

 

One by one, the students played (or attempted to play, to be painfully said) the grand piano. The so-called music coming out from the beautiful instrument was so horrible that Miss Aggy, as the music teacher prefered to be called, might burst into tears anytime. Her yelling was getting louder as time went by. In an hour she had pulled off every creative terms she had in mind, such as 'cat screeching sound' 'tone deaf' 'old lady killer' and 'bug repellent'.

It was a good thing that there were only a few of them there, or she would have to squish her brain harder to make some new terms otherwise.

 

When it was time for Sehun to play, she didn't need to think of a new creative insult. Sehun could play the piano really well. He chose a song of Sebastian Bach, Toccata. The gloomy feeling radiated from the song fit his personality well, yet Miss Aggy added a comment of how it lacked of emotion despite being played nicely.

 

There was only one person left. Kyungsoo.

 

Ms. Aggy was getting ready to end the lesson when Kyungsoo shyly raised his hand.

 

"Yes, Mr. Do?"

 

"I would like to perform my assignment now, if that's okay with you," said Kyungsoo nervously, because all the attention were aimed toward him, much to his dismay.

The music teacher nodded her agreement, adding that Kyungsoo still got his chance if he wanted to have another try next week.

 

 

Kyungsoo went to the grand piano after choosing the music sheet with the song he would like to play. As he sat down, he took a deep breath, closing his eyes. Slowly he opened his eyes and placed his slender fingers on the keys. And the rest was magic.

 

Sehun could not take his eyes off of the boy. He stared at Kyungsoo's slender fingers which were gracefully playing the piano as if it was the extention of his hands. He shifted his gaze, sweeping his eyes over the divine expression Kyungsoo was having. The boy had his eyes closed, enjoying the music he was playing.

 

Adagio, the song Kyungsoo chose, was played so perfectly it conveyed the meaning well. Sehun felt the sadness in the music seep into his body slowly, spreading to his soul. He couldn't get enough of the sound created by the dancing fingers over the keys.

Kyungsoo was pouring his soul into the song. Even after he had stopped playing, everyone kept their silent.

Kyungsoo lifted his head from the keys and stared at the audience.

Sehun's eyes met accidentally with Kyungsoo's, as he never left his sight off of the boy from the beginning. Kyungsoo smiled at him for the umpteenth time today, eyes formed into crescent shapes. This time Sehun felt something different.

 

 

He just realized one thing; Kyungsoo was undeniably interesting. But he was also so beautiful.

 

 

 

 

............................................................................................................................................................................................