chapter 1

Poor Prince

 

 

Chapter one

 

 

Exo International High School was a prestigious school located in Seongnam, South Korea. It was an exclusive school thus not anyone could enroll there. Most of the students had been admitted at the early age into Exo International Preschool; they continued their education to Exo International Elementary School, Junior High School, and to the Senior High School. They did not bother to make a university, as most of the students would have their study abroad to the place they -- or their parents -- had chosen.

You have to be exceptionally rich to get your kids into the school, but wealth was not the only factor. The family either had to have influential power and rich, or had children who were bright enough to get in and rich.

 

 

Exo International high school provided all the courses needed for university bound-students, as well as elective courses in Performing and Arts, Informative Technology, and many other kind of school clubs; from the common ones such as music clubs and sports, to clubs like golf, horse riding, moot court and CEO club. Every program the school had was provided to accommodate the students’ needs. Every subject was programmed to prepare qualified future heirs.

Aside from the outstanding facilities the school provided, there was one thing that was equally important, if not even more, so that people are willing to pay ridiculous money; to have the valuable connection in order to expand the family businesses in the future. Parents of course would want their children to make proper friends at school, with the intention of having a personal investment when their children eventually get to carry on the businesses.

 

 

It was understandable that the majority of students were in awe and uproar when there was a rumor going around about a certain student who was said to be enrolled to their school. It was highly unusual for anyone to enter Exo high on the second year of study, in the middle of ongoing semester. One had to be really wealthy or powerful enough to do so.

The new student's background remained unknown. Rumors said that the new student came from a very wealthy family having a huge aircraft business, while another one said that his family runs various type of business in property, including malls, real estates and apartment buildings.

A girl swore on her Prada Ostrich Tote that the new student was the precious grandchild of Korea's former minister.

The rumors started spreading wider - and wilder; a member of Exo newspaper club tried to convince everyone who was willing to listen that he was almost certain the new student was a crown prince of a small country in South East Asia.

No one had enough evidence regarding the new student's actual background, and that only made him even more interesting - at least they knew for sure that the student was a 'he' because a school staff let that small piece of information out. The new student would not be attending school until the next monday, the staff told them.

 

 

 

***

 

 

A cute, chubby-cheeked boy entered Exo's International School gate on foot. It was not common there, because most of the students, if not all, had their own chauffeurs to take them to school. Many of them had their own bodyguards to secure the area from outside the school gate during the school time.

 

Luxurious cars were entering the school carrying their passengers. Beside the luxurious single deck bus specifically designed for Exo International School to pick up students living in dormitory, you could easily spot most of the high priced vehicle brands - Bentley, Porche, Jaguar, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and more. Many were limited edition (not that the boy was aware about the fact).

 

Chauffeurs queued to drop off their masters at the entrance. They elegantly opened the passenger door, and waited until their masters exit the vehicles and went pass the gate before leaving the place.

The boy walked calmly on the footpath along the road, not minding all the wealth displayed around him. Carrying his sling bag over the shoulder, he occasionally swung it along the way.

Everything about the boy was too out of place there. Wearing a plain white shirt, he neatly tucked it inside casual black pants. His hairstyle was simple and short, slightly above the collar. The natural shine of his black hair shimmered under the morning sun. He looked too different for such an extravagant place like that, he stood out like a sore thumb.

 

 

The boy had nearly reached the school entrance when he collided with someone and fell to the ground. The person he collided with did not move an inch; he stared at him with an un-amused look on his face.

Must be the new student they have been talking about, the person thought. He looked at the boy's appearance closely.

A midget, too large eyes compared to his small face. Cheap shirt has been worn thousands of times, sling bag with patches. Everything on him screams poor. What is he doing here? This is interesting.

 

"Sorry, I didn't see you!" chirped the boy cheerfully while standing up, patting his pants from dirt.

"Are you a new student?" The taller male brushed away the apology, his curious eyes were staring at the boy unwaveringly.

"Yes. I'm Do Kyungsoo, second grade. Nice to meet you," the boy answered, giving him a friendly toothy smile.

"I'm Oh Sehun, also second grade. So how did you enroll in the middle of semester, did your parents pay a lot of money or what?" Sehun asked out his curiosity bluntly.

 

Kyungsoo didn't appear to look bothered. He chuckled, answering the question without hesitation,

"No, I'm not rich at all, I have no parents supporting me. Got a full scholarship to be here," he chimed, smiling so wide his eyes turned into crescent shapes.

Just as I thought. Poor boy indeed. Looks like he got a brain. This new student is interesting.

Sehun swept his gaze over the smiling boy, judging him silently as his face remained expressionless. Maybe he can make my life less boring.

 

“What class?” Sehun asked.

“Mmmm, sorry, what..?” Kyungsoo's smile slightly faltered to a frown of confusion.

“What. Class. Are.You.In?” Sehun repeated very slowly as if he was speaking to a fool.

“Oh. Wait, let me check first,” Kyungsoo mumbled as he rummaged through his bag looking for the admission papers.

 

Sehun caught a glimpse of a notebook with ‘Visit Korea' and “Korean Tourism 2013’ printed on the cover. He flinched and snickered, trying hard to suppress the urge to laugh out loud. When Kyungsoo's curious eyes were on him, he managed to keep himself calm and his expression unchanged.

 

Finally Kyungsoo found his admission letter. The boy frowned in full concentration, unconsciously biting his upper lip as he read it fast to find the information he was looking for. After a moment he grinned.“I’m in class 2-1," he said cheerfully.

Sehun nodded. “Same. Let me show you around, then we can go to class afterward." He started to walk away as he spoke, did not bother to check on the boy he left behind.

"Thank you, you're so kind," Kyungsoo happily responded.

 

Sehun nodded nonchalantly at the boy who was following his pace with much efforts on his short legs.

 

 

 

 

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................