Sungjong

Lost and Found/고독

Sungjong came back home, with the usual scowl on his face.

"How was school?" asked his stepmother dryly.

"Good." Sungjong muttered.

Sungjong walked into his room and slammed the door shut. His stepmother did not even stare at him as he did so.


Dinner finally came, the whole family of seven sitting at the table.

Sungjong had no appetite but decided to anyway eat his meal, hoping that he could get some of his family members' attention. He adored them. He wanted to bond with them and get to know them better so that he could be more accepted like a family member, but the only responses he would get all these years were one or two word answers.

Dinner was kimchi jjigae, Sungjong's favourite, yet he was always given the smallest proportion.

Despite all this, he was not at all surprised, as he was used to it, and whenever he asked for more, he was always punished, like in Oliver Twist.

But he was not a kid anymore, he was growing into a man. It was not like his stepfamily members were dictators and control everything that he ate when he had the free will to do what he felt was best for him.

Sungjong grinned at the other family members, hoping he would at least get some attention.

He continued to grin at the others.

He eventually said, "It's delicious." with a big grin on his face.

"Sungjong, don't talk with your mouth full, it's not polite." his stepmother snapped.

"Yeah, er," said Suil, smirking at him.

Sungjong glared at him back.

The whole family was quiet and Sungjong wanted to make some conversation so that he could be considered an in-member of the whole group.

"Noona," he said talking to Youngmi, "How are the wedding plans going? Who is your fiance?"

"That's none of your business!" Youngmi shrieked, reaching over and pouring water over him before slapping him in the face, "How dare you!"

"Sungjong, how many times do I have to tell you not to in other people's business?" the stepmother snapped again. "It is not polite."

"Yeah," said Youngmi, scowling at him.

Sungjong nearly cried, whilst Suil smirked at him, mouthing "crybaby".

Sungjong glared at him, but being the tattle tale he was, Suil told him off.

"Dad, Mom, Sungjong is staring at me again."

The stepparents thumped him, making him cry.

"Stop staring and being a pest," they snapped, "Now hurry up and finish your meal."

Sungjong eventually did, but he realised that he had no more rice.

"Please can I have some more?" he asked holding up the empty rice bowl.

But the stepmother leaned forward and slapped him in the face.

"Don't be so selfish." she snapped. "You're not the only family member, everyone here needs some too. Now go to your room."

Sungjong smirked at the six.

"Fine."


Sungjong eventually returned to his room and started doing his math homework, when he realised that the ink in his pens have nearly run out.

He decided to go to Suil's room and ask for one, but he was not present.

When no one was looking, he reached into his desktidy and took out a pen.

He was ten minutes into doing his homework when his stepbrother barged into his room, full of anger and rage.

"So it was you who took my pen!" he screamed, gazing at the familiar patterns on his pen. "Give it to me!"

He snatched it from Sungjong, and pushed him on the bed, and began punching and beating him until he was limp and could not fight anymore.

"I hate you!" he screamed. "You thief! You jerk! You greedy pig! I hope you rot in hell!"

"What is going on?" bellowed the stepmother walking in.

"He took my pen!" yelled Suil, pointing at Sungjong, "He's always been such a thief!"

Unsurprisingly, she took Suil's side and began beating and hitting Sungjong, making tears come to his eyes from the pain, but he was not at all surprised.

"I hope this hurts." she muttered, "I'd rather kill myself than raise a monster like you. You stupid selfish little thief." as she hit his head against the wall and the two walked out and slammed the door shut.

Sungjong looked in the mirror, aching from the pain.

Despite the fact that he was treated like an outcast, he was not at all surprised as this has been continuing all his life.

He looked into his reflection, and with a wicked smile, started devising a plan.