Snowflakes

Dark Love

Yoomin was in a dark room, in front of her a door. What was she doing here when only moments before when she was with Yoochun? Suddenly strong hands grabbed her arm. Surprise she turned to find Jae covered in blood. She began to scream in terror and pulled away to run towards the door, but no matter how much she pulled it over, to the door would not open. She heard Jae approach her step by step... She screamed, banged and scratched the door, begging for someone to pull her out from there. He grabbed her and pinned her against the door. Then he put his hands around her neck and squeezed. Yoomin couldn’t breathe; she was so paralyzed with fear that she couldn’t even defend herself. All she could do was waiting for him to kill her. When the air began to run out, she awoke in sweat in bed.


It took her a moment to realize it was all just a dream. She put a hand over to prevent screaming and crying. Yoochun was still at her side, one arm around her waist, protective. She pulled away slowly to avoid waking him and went on tiptoe to the kitchen. 

It was a modern American style kitchen; she didn’t expect less from Mr. Park, blends modern and old was a lot like him. Looking through cupboards she found a glass and filled it with fresh water. Perhaps it would help to calm down; she trembled from head to foot. Without turning on the light she went into the living room, surrounded by windows that overlooked the gaping view of the bottom of the hill. The house was high, with no neighbors around. She approached one of the windows looked into the deep black of dusk. In the distance we could make out the outline of the sun on the horizon of hills. They had slept all day and now it was almost evening. Everything was silent. No birdsong, no footsteps, conversations or cars. Just the sound of her breathing. Yoomin knew she would have the aftershock, but had hoped, naively, that she would be strong enough to not be a victim. The events of the night were still confused in her memory, like a bad dream that had not really occurred. But the marks on her body were a painful reminder. Two things bothered her more than that. She was concern for Jae’s life, yes he was a bastard who tried to her, but she didn’t want to have a person's blood on her hands, she wouldn’t be like the ones she hated most in the world. And the other thing was Yoochun... She was relieved that he came to get her, but she couldn’t understand why she had lost all rationality when she knew something had happened to him and why she let him be as close to her. It wasn’t as if she loved him... And even if it was, he always had the ghost of his former love. No, definitely this was only the recognition she felt for him, because she felt safe. The lights came on suddenly.


"What are you doing up already?"


She jumped and turned around. Yoochun came down the stairs, only wearing a jogging, he wasn’t wearing any shirt and she noticed for the first time it was very well built. But this beautiful body was now covered with bruises. Embarrassed she looked away.


"You had a nightmare?"


She nodded silently.


"It would have been strange if you hadn’t, after everything that happened ..."


"Yoochun ... I wanted to thank you. Thank you for coming to help me. If you hadn’t... I really thought he was going to... "


She couldn’t finish the sentence, not daring to say in a loud voice her fears. Yoomin shivered and stared at the scenery outside, not wanting to meet the eyes of the boy. She heard him approach and then felt a blanket being placed on her shoulders.


"You don’t have to thank me. I promised you that I'll protect you and that’s what I did. "


Then she suddenly felt arms to hug from behind and put his head on her shoulder. Yoomin froze, not daring to make any movement, surprised by Yoochun’s behavior.


"I'm relieved that you're okay... If he ever had ... I don’t know what I would have done ..."


His voice was desperate, she was touched by his concern, and he really took his promises seriously. She wanted to comfort him, so she leaned against his embrace.


"I'm fine. You don’t need to worry too much about me."


They remained like this a couple of minutes, and then he broke the embrace.


"I'll prepare something to eat for us, I'm starving."


He went into the kitchen and she followed him, sitting on the bar.


"What are we going to do from now?"


"We stay here until things calm down."


"And what's going on exactly?"


He said nothing and concentrated on preparing their breakfast. Hmmm ... I see, he isn’t going to say anything more. She didn’t question him anymore; anyway she wasn’t sure she wanted to know what was happening.


"They really got you." She commented, looking at his strong back bruises.


"That's a lot less painful than it seems."


She nodded, not knowing what to say, while tightening the plaid around her shoulders.
They spent the next hour eating and talking. Well talking... Yoomin didn’t say much, locked in her haze of thoughts, it was Yoochun who spoke more and it was obvious that he was making efforts to change the ideas of the young girl, without success.
Suddenly someone knocked on the door. Started by the noise, Yoomin violently jumped on her foots and curled instinctively. An irrational fear seized her. Yoochun got up and opened the door. A few seconds later Yunjoong stood in the living room.


"Good evening, lovebirds!"


"What are you doing here?" Yoochun asked not surprised to see him.


"You left a mess for me to take care, you know that?"


"You love to take care of this kind of story!"


He made a dismissive hand gesture.


"In any case you were a bit excessive this time! I got Jae back in such a state..."


"I don’t take credit for this ..."


Yunjoong turned to Yoomin.


"I see ..."


He walked over and held out a hand to touch her face, the girl jumped back violently to avoid contact. She trembled from head to foot and she had trouble breathing. Already she didn’t like this man at all but she also was afraid to be approach ... to be touched ... like... like…

Yoochun, seeing her in this state slowly stepped between her and Yunjoong.


"The rumors that it wasn’t you they were after, was true. You are very impressive, kido.” He said talking to Yoomin. “Not many have managed to knock down a fighter like him."


She stayed silent and curled on herself, disturbed by the prying eyes of man. Yoochun turned to her.


"You should go take a shower and get changed." He turned to the man. "You brought what I asked you?"


"For the next time, I'm not your maid!"


He gave a bag, which Yoomin hadn’t noticed, to the girl.


"There are a few of your things in there." said Yunjoong. "I took some clothes, a toiletry bag and some books that I found in your shelf, because here you won’t have much else to do."


It was ... very thoughtful of him ... She was touched by his the attention. Maybe eventually he wasn’t that cold.


"But, you should’ve chosen you a better girlfriend, Yoochun, she has a non-existent sense of fashion."


She withdrew what she had said. He was a bastard! Without answering she went up. Except she wasn’t stupid, she understood that Yoochun asked her to leave the room in order to speak with Yunjoong without her knowing. But she wanted to know what was happening. Silently she sat on the stairs, hidden from the sight of two men; she could hear them loud and clear.


"So, how is the situation out?" Yoochun asked.


"A mess ... Jae has not regained consciousness yet and his father want’s your head for what you did to his son. Luckily for us they attacked you too, so we can play the “is the sons business and not families” card. "


"I see ... I'm all alone in that."


"Totally. We managed to do that clans are not involved. By the time Jae’s get out of hospital, things should have calmed down and you can come back. "


"I'm counting on you..."


Yunjoong sighed.


"You know, it would be much easier to give her away. Jae’s father would calm down and leave you alone. "


Yoomin shuddered. He spoke of her as an object and she didn’t even dare to imagine what she would suffer if they "gave her away".


"We will remain here until all quiet down and then I'll take care of the rest."


"Yoochun ..."


"She was in this situation in the first place because of me. So I will not scroll, I’ll protect her until the end. "


"I see, so she is a second Milianna ..."


She couldn’t see Yoochun but she felt him tense. So Yunjoong knew about Milianna.


"They have nothing to do with each other." said Yoochun clenching his teeth.


"Really? Yet I see the story being repeated..."


"You’re going to do the same thing you did with Milianna, then?"


Yoomin was increasingly puzzled. What Yunjoong had to do with Yoochun’s bride? In a cold voice he replied.


"I did what I had to do at that time. I didn’t think she would do what she did."


"So don’t make the same mistake again. This is your chance to redeem yourself. "


"I don’t have to redeem myself! Let me be clear, I work for your father, not you. I have no obligation to do things for you. "


"I know that. But I'm asking you as the brother you should've been for me. Please, help us. "


"Jae understood everything ... This girl is your weakness and she will be a burden to you… Arasso. I'll keep you abreast of developments. "


Yoomin heard, a few seconds after the door closing. She hurried upstairs to lock herself in the bathroom. It was a lot of information to handle. Jae's father wanted their skin. Jae was in the hospital, he was alive but not yet awake. Yunjoong had something to do with the death of Milianna. And she was Yoochun’s weakness... What did that even mean? He felt guilty only because he was the one who involved her in all this and that was why he wanted to protect her. But it was a stupid thing to do if he was in danger. She didn’t want to be a burden, especially for him. But for now she couldn’t process all the information. She decided that for some time at least, she would enjoy this special time she had with Yoochun. Then it would come the time of decisions.


***


It had been two weeks since they were in the house, and they spent every day almost always the same. Surprisingly it was Yoochun who always cooked, after, they spent their time reading, playing cards or video games (now that Yoochun had initiated her, Yoomin was finding hard to live without playing), or watch movies and dramas. Basically they were in a cocoon. Yoochun was very attentive and never left her alone for long. Their relationship became much closer, but she still didn’t know how to position herself in that relation. They haven’t DTR (determinate the relationship) yet, like she heard in a drama.


Despite this, Yoomin was getting desperate for fresh air, but she was unable to put a foot outside. Yoochun had quite understood why, and never offered to do outdoor activity. But it was becoming burdensome for both of them. Especially since Yoomin kept having nightmares and was sorely lacking of sleep, a walk outside could only do her good. So she decided to go shopping instead of Yoochun. The supermarket was in the city a little further down the road. Only 20minutes away, walking. He insisted on accompanying her but she flatly refused. She had to go out alone, because she couldn’t always count on him. So she took her courage in both hands and went out into the cold of winter. She found her way easily and shopping was really simple. Fortunately her injuries had healed a little and she could go out without people being surprised by her swollen face, and thanks the makeup. Having finished the race she set off again towards the house.

Night had fallen quickly, it wasn’t late, but it was already dark. This is when without warning a little white thing fell from the sky and landed on her nose before instantly melting 

 

She scanned the sky, impatient and with a wild hope. This is where they gradually materialized, one after the other. And in no time it was falling everywhere, whitened the landscape. It was snowing! She hadn’t seen snow since childhood. Yoomin had always admired the snow, it was perfect. This reminded her of the deep white emptiness of her life, but at the same time brought her a nostalgic comfort. Her mother loved the winter and used to take her to do snowmen whenever it snowed.

 

Remembering that the warming memory and a smile plastered on her face she happily went on her way, being careful not to slip. Suddenly she heard footsteps behind her. She turned, nothing ... She continued, but the noise started again at the same time as hers. She had the uncomfortable feeling that someone was following her, but on the other hand it could be only paranoia. But the noise still followed her, she stopped and turned to see a man all dressed in black, who followed her. He had stopped at the same time along with her. Yoomin’s blood froze on the spot. She didn’t imagine it. She set off again hurrying to return to the safety of home. The man steps hurried too. An irrational fear seized Yoomin and without thinking twice she began to run. She quickly arrived to the house. It is only when she closed the door behind her that she allowed herself to breathe again. Apparently the man had not followed her up here. Why was she so scared? It must be a person like the others who just wanted to return home quickly to escape the cold. Her paranoia was going too far. She left out a half-hysterical laughter. The nerves were breaking. Yoochun came into the hall, his face filled with concern.


"Yoomin? What is it? "


She noticed that she still hadn’t let go of shopping bags or the wrist of the door. Trembling she turned to Yoochun. She breathed trying to leave nothing reflected in her voice because if she was good to pretend in her expression, her voice betrayed her every time.


"I bought everything. You want to eat ramyun tonight? "


He seemed even more worried and took a step toward her.


"Did something happen?"


Visions passed before Yoomin’s eyes. Someone waiting out there in the snow, ready to attack her and... She stepped unsteadily forward. Yoochun rushed over to catch her but she pushed him away. He was still close to her without touching her.


"Yoomin, talk to me."


"I'm fine!"


"You're anything but fine!"


"Spare me your guilty concern. I’m telling you I'm fine. It's just a of fatigue."

 

Yoomin closed her eyes and took a deep breath to bring order in her head.


"What do you mean by guilty concern?"


She really didn’t want to have this conversation right now, but without knowing why, she got into a rage. She was mad at Yoochun that his concern was just a spirit of responsibility and she didn’t wanted him to see her so fragile. She hated to seem weak in front of others, especially in front of him.


"I'll go take a shower ..."


He blocked her path, he looked annoyed now.


"Can you tell me what happened? Why are you acting like this suddenly? "


"I don’t want to talk about it..."


"You can’t say something like that and not give me an explanation. What is this guilty concern about?"


She turned to him annoyed.


"It's just that I can’t take more of your considerate attitude because you feel guilty for what happened to me."


He stared at her surprised.


"So you think I act like I do, because I pity you?"


"For what other reason could it be?"


"Maybe because I like you."


"Yeaaaaaaah, we're the best of friends!" She said sarcastically.


"Not like a friend ..." he said, approaching.


She clenched her fists angrier.


"Don’t play with me, Yoochun... I'm not in the mood for your games. "


"I'm very serious."


And he looked like he was. She didn’t believe it for a moment. Yoochun loving her was ridiculous and impossible. But she did. She gradually realized that she was in love with him. And hear it, when she knew that it was only the responsibility he felt towards her, made her heart ache. She needed to say what was on her heart.


"I'm not Milianna! I don’t know what happened to her but it won’t happen to me. So no need to protect me! "


He froze and frowned.


"What does this have to do with Milianna?"


"I know you feel guilty over what happened to her and ..."


"Do you even know what happened to her?" he cut her.


"No, but ..."


"So don’t make assumptions without knowing."


Yoomin calmed a little. They stared at each other without saying anything for a few minutes. It was she, who broke the silence first.


"So you're gonna tell me what happen."


He hesitated a moment.


"Her father discovered about us and enraged that his daughter loved the enemy, so he locked her to keep her from me. Except Milianna was mentally fragile ... She couldn’t bear the treatment that her father gave her."


"You mean that she committed suicide?" said Yoomin horrified.


"One day before our wedding."


"You mean it was her father who killed her in some ways?"


"And I promised to avenge her."


"It was about that you were talking when you said you had to accomplish something? You need the protection of your father's clan to attack Jae's father. This is why you don’t go against your father..."


"Yes."


Again and again for Milianna ... It was always about her and for her. Everything he did, all his thoughts and all his love turned around this girl. The heart of Yoomin sank. How could she compete with a dead girl?


"I understand better what Jae told me, his father's turned the story to his advantage by giving you the wrong role."


"But things are different now!"


"What is different? You won’t do your revenge anymore?"


He lowered his head.


"That will never change. I’ll do what I have to."


"See how ridiculous it is? How can you say you love me, when your purpose on life is to avenge your former lover?"


"Yoomin ..."


She started yelling suddenly. She was sick of people pretending to love her, when what they really wanted was just to use her, because they needed her. Like her father, and some friends she had in the past. But from the person she loved, it was even more hurtful.


"Don’t you dare Yoochun! Don’t you dare telling me that you love me more than a friend, because my heart cannot bear a new disappointment. If you ever took back on your word I... "


"I won’t take it back."


"It’s an illusion! What you feel it's just pity. Do you remember? I'm a girl your father forced you to marry, just a girl who you need, to reach your goal and nothing else. We don’t have any other relationship apart using each other for a common interest. "


Yoochun approached Yoomin and was a few inches from her.


"I don’t feel what I’m feeling now, for people that I pity. And I intend to change the relationship we have. Because what I want… is you. "


With these words he took her face and kissed her. Surprise, Yoomin didn’t move, being completely up in the kiss. It was like a storm that made Yoomin’s blood boil. The whole room around her was gone, she wasn’t aware of anything else but Yoochun's lips on hers. He broke the kiss to breathe, just to kiss her again with more strength. 

He gently pushed her against the wall and all she could do was to follow, because she didn’t have the strength or the will to push him away. He was slowly skipping one hand under her t-shirt when his cell phone rang. He let it ring, but the irritating beeping became impossible to ignore. Frustrated he withdrew from Yoomin, to answer it. The girl was trying to relearn how to breathe after the passionate kiss.


"Yobousayo? (Pause) What do you want?" Yoochun's face suddenly became serious. "What? Since when? Okay... Thanks for the info. "


He hung up but didn’t dare to turn to Yoomin.


"Who was that?" She asked.


He said nothing and turned to her to gauge whether to tell her or not.


"Um ... It was Yunjoong ..."


"What did he want?"


"He wanted to warn me of something ..."


She waited for him to say more. With difficulty he said.


"Jae is out of the hospital today."


 All her muscles and body froze.


"Don’t worry, he can’t reach you." He tried to reassure her.


She turned pale, began to have cold sweat and hyperventilate. He was free. He was now coming to avenge what she had done to him. This time she had no way out. Neither Yoochun, or anyone else could get her out of it. Jae’s father and Jae wanted her, and they would have her one time or another it was only a matter of time. Her knees gave way and she slid to the floor. Yoochun rushed to catch up before her body falls to the ground unconscious. Now Jae haunted her nights as her days. Yoomin fainted in her unconscious nightmare.