Donghae - You Are So Beautiful [8]

Donghae - You Are So Beautiful

 

Donghae- You Are Beautiful 

by ~Takasumi-Airi



Chapter 8


__________________________________________________________________________________

 

Airport 
4:30 AM


I was dressed in warm clothing, a scarf curled around my neck and had opted for two layers ; a dark red hoodie with a vest on top and a white hat that was pulled down over my ears. One hand held my backpack and the other gripped the handle of my small suitcase. My parents had taken most of my stuff with them; the other things like furniture would be sent off later. 

I looked at the flight arrivals screen, bright red neon words scrolling along the bottom to announce important messages. I felt somewhat dumb, knowing that I was deceiving my own feelings while unconsciously trying to wait as long as possible in the lobby as if hoping that Donghae would come. I loitered in the café while sipping an XL hot chocolate with whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, allowing myself this luxury just for once. As I leaned back in the chair, I dreamed of the snowflakes I would see in the wintertime when I arrive in England but it was never going to be like winter in Seoul; it would never be … 

I gripped the paper cup and drank the rest of the frothy sugary liquid. It was really good; just the thing to warm me up. 

At 4:50 AM, I was seated alone at gate 450, eagerly waiting for the boarding announcement. I kicked both of my feet, my boots making an empty thumping noise as the black rubber soles hit against each other. I was making white marks on the black leather. I watched the people who passed by; busy men in suits, airplane attendants in professional blue and white uniforms, the occasional families with many suitcases… They all had a life; they all knew where they were going. 

But what about me? 
I was going to England but did I really want to go? 

For a moment, I remembered the period, waiting anxiously months after my parents had told me that we were moving to England. "You don't have to go with us but Dad and I hoped that you would. After all, it would be wasting an education in England and renting a house for one person is rather expensive; plus, we don't want to have to arrange for you to stay at a friend's house. That would be rude." They HAD given me a choice to stay; but everything was hopeless at this point. My luggage had already been checked in; my plane ticket was bought and laid in my hand. My parents awaited me eagerly on the other side of the continent to join them.  No way would I be able to force myself out of this or run away from the situation. Not even if Donghae was here…. What would he have done if he was me?

Donghae… I missed him so much already….but after this, I was probably never going to be able to meet up with him like yesterday ever again… I would never be able to spend a winter with him…

"Sang-Nim! 여동생!" 

I looked up in surprise, hearing that familiar voice calling my name. I got up from my seat and ran to him, my backpack swinging back and forth.  

Donghae was dressed in a warm blue coat, a blue scarf around his neck and a set of earmuffs on his ears. They appeared to be bunnies with hot pink ears stuck on either side of his head. It was so ironic; how when my situation was desperate, he would always be there to make me smile in his own unique way. I laughed and rushed out to hug him. "오빠, what are you doing here? How did you find me?" There were over 600 gates in the airport. This was like a miracle. "I ran." he said simply. Was it that cold outside already? I glanced out the windows: it was snowing! 

Donghae nudged me; in his hands was an envelope attached to something wrapped in tissue paper. It looked like it had been wrapped this morning, fast."It's for you, since you're going away…" he explained hastily, pointing at the package. I could tell that he had spent the whole night making this for me.  "Awww… thanks." I said, feeling my face turn red. "Thank you so much." I gave him a hug and smiled at him. Wow, I had never gotten presents from him; it was more like I gave him presents.   "I'm really going to miss you," I admitted. "Me too," he said, smiling. "Haha, I'm gonna come back to visit you someday. Or maybe you should come to England." "Sure," he said, giving me one last fantastic smile before the overhead speaker spoke: "Passengers of flight xxxx, last call for boarding." Rats, I must have missed the first call. Hastily, I stuck Donghae's gift into my backpack then got on tippy toes to give him one final hug. "See you later 오빠." I murmured, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I let go of him and he patted my head. "Farewell 여동생, you will always be my beautiful". I turned around at that last part but Donghae had disappeared into the crowd. 

"Seat 36C" I kept repeating that while trying to find my seat on the plane. Donghae's words were still lingering in my mind. You will always be my beautiful... I thought I had made a mistake yet I didn't want it to be a mistake. Arrrhhhh….. At 36C [this was one huge plane] I popped open the overhead cabinet and stuck my vest inside. It was warm enough inside the plane and the blanket they provided looked comfortable enough. I nestled my backpack between my legs and sat down at my window seat.

Farewell Seoul… I may as well be leaving for good. I shifted my feet and opened the window shutter. The sun lit the sky in beautiful cascades of orange and yellow and lavender. I couldn't even tell if the sun was rising or setting. But it was magnificent. Eventually, the plane took off and I found myself falling asleep almost immediately after.