Eight

A Whole New World

Jinyoung’s POV

When the bell rings at the end of the day, I hug Big Bang goodbye as they are to leave to go back to Seoul. They assure me that they'll be back again very soon, but I struggle to choke back my tears anyway.
Having them here just feels right, as though I’m complete once more ... but now they’re leaving again and I have to go back to living a half-life without them, even if it is only two days! We farewell each other at the back of the school and then I go to wait by the front gate to meet Kikwang. I’m 15 minutes early, but with nothing else to do today, I decide that waiting would be the best (and only) option.

I suddenly hear one of the voices that have become so familiar to me -  making my heart jump in panic every time I hear it, in anticipation of the pain that will inevitably be inflicted upon me.

“Are you waiting for us? That’s so sweet!” Big Lips taunts.

, who has well established himself as the leader by now, shirt fronts me to get straight down to business. Without breaking a sweat, he lifts me up and pins me against the fence that surrounds the school.

“Was the human punching bag missing us?” he mocks, making the others laugh.

I just focus on a point above his shoulder and avoid eye contact, as usual.

“Seriously? Why do you never say anything? Every single day! Are you mute or something?” Big Lips questions.

I’ve noted how chatty he can be, often asking me questions that he knows I will never reply to.

“You are literally the most boring person to bully ever!” The Tall Hottie drawls.

“Let’s make a deal.” Leader states, “It seems like you’ve learnt to mind your own business, and we ALL,” he looks pointedly at Byunghun who sneers and rolls his eyes, “have decided to leave you alone if you don’t get in our way anymore. It’s just not fun to pick on you; you’re so weak and ... quiet. It’s frustrating!” He says.

“We have just one condition.” The scary but cute one says.

I can tell this wasn’t planned as leader ’ arm that is pinning me against the fence relaxes temporarily, a sign that he was caught off guard.

I just stare at him, not willing to break my silent streak now.

“You … uh… give us… your … HOODIE!” he improvises.

suddenly lets go of me and they all give the scary cutie a WTF look.

He doesn’t seem to care though as he just stares at me levelly, narrowing his eyes menacingly when I don’t move.

I promptly take off my hoodie, making sure my shirt doesn’t lift up with it, and pass it to him. He snatches it off of me and turns around. He can be such a diva sometimes.

The air is freezing and I subtly hold onto my bare arms to warm them up and pretend that I’m just crossing them in indifference.

They turn around and start to speak in hushed voices as they walk away, but the wind carries their voices to me anyway.

“What the hell Ricky? You couldn’t just stick to the plan?” scolds.

“But you all were saying things and I wanted to say something too!” the scary cutie says.

So his name is Ricky. Wait, is it creepy to know someone’s name if you’ve never actually been introduced? Should I forget that I know it? Who cares, honestly!

“If you were planning on taking something from him, couldn’t you at least have taken his boots or... or money or something?” Big Lips asks.

Great, they still think that I’m a guy? How slow are they?

“But, I’m cold! I wanted his hoodie!” Ricky says in a baby voice.

“Yah! Stop trying to be cute! It’s weird for me, having someone older than me act cute.” The Tall Hottie says.

As they were speaking I had slowly picked up my backpack from where it had fallen, but as I am about to go find a better spot to wait for Kikwang, Byunghun suddenly turns on his heel and walks back to me.

As he comes closer to me, I step further back until I’m backed up right against the fence. He slams his hand next to my head and growls at me.
Yes, growls. Like an animal. He’s the worst.

“I don’t care what they say, I think you’re a delight to pick on and I assure you, I will continue to make your life a living hell because it makes me happy.” He sneers.

He then smiles at me and it’s one of the most creepy and sadistic smiles I have ever had the misfortune of seeing. It chills me more than the cold air and I involuntarily shiver. I quickly lift my hands up to rub my bare arms casually before holding onto my stomach once more.

My sudden movements attract his attention and I watch his head tilt as he tries to get a better look at something on my arm. I follow his eyes and suddenly remember that Kikwang wrote his number on my arm.

Byunghun’s hand suddenly shoots out and roughly grabs hold of my wrist, bringing my arm up closer to his face and twisting it painfully so that he can get a better look at it. His eyes shoot up towards me as he glares icily.

“What the hell is this?” he asks, his voice no more than a whisper, but nonetheless menacing.

When I don’t respond he pushes my arm away from him and brings his face even closer to mine.

“I said, what the hell IS THIS!” he yells, spitting onto my face in the process.

By now, we’re the only ones here. Nobody can hear him and he seems to be very aware of that fact.

“Why do you have his number on your arm?” he asks, his voice shaking out of fury.

When I don’t respond again, he er punches me. It takes all my willpower to not double over in pain.

“Why do you have my Kikwang's number on your arm? Answer me!” he spits again.

After he punches me in the face and once more in the stomach, I quickly look around the school, wondering if anyone will come to my rescue. Maybe Kikwang will arrive early and then he could sort this out!

Byunghun notices me looking around the school and he grabs hold of my jaw, squeezing it tightly and forcing me to look him in the eye.

“You’re waiting for him, aren’t you?” he asks icily.

I just nod my head, too afraid to say anything.

I wish that Big Bang had stayed behind to help me!

“Wait, are you going on a date with him?” he asks threateningly.

I slowly nod once more, clearly infuriating him as his hand tightens its grip on my jaw. I swear, my jaw is about to be crushed! He is so strong!

“What kind of sick game do you think you’re playing?” he spits. “Stay the hell away from Kikwang and if you ever try to touch or hurt him, I will end you.”

Movement on my left catches my eye and I notice that Kikwang is walking this way. He is busy on his phone, so he hasn’t seen us yet, but I smile anyway.

Byunghun notices me smiling and looks over to see Kikwang. He quickly steps back from me and after miming slitting my throat, he shoots me one last glare and quickly runs around the corner.

I lightly touch my jaw, making sure that no bones are broken. I realize with disappointment that he managed to dislocate my jaw. Those guys have dislocated almost every single bone in my body by now! Taking a deep breath, I shove it back into place, yelping slightly in pain.

“Are you okay?” Kikwang suddenly asks from behind me.

I spin around to face him, his eyes wide with fear and concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine! Are you ready to go now?” I ask.

“Your jaw. It’s swollen and bruising really fast! And why aren’t you wearing a jacket? It’s freezing! What happened?” he asks gently, coming closer.

I avoid his question, picking my bag up from the ground and slinging it over my shoulder.

“It was L.Joe, wasn’t it? Aish, that kid doesn’t even know his own strength.” Kikwang says, shaking his head as he gently touches my jaw.

“No, it wasn’t! I don’t even know who L.Joe is. Anyway, it’s not important, I’m fine now, really!” I say, smiling at him and giving him the thumbs up.

“You’re not just saying that to protect him, are you?”

“Of course not!” I say, crossing my arms in mock indignation, secretly hoping to warm up my arms.

Without another word, he takes his overcoat off and drapes it over me and my backpack. I open my mouth to politely refuse and hand it back to him, but he just gives me this look, so I quickly thank him and put the coat on. It’s so warm! I smile, satisfied with the warmth and he laughs at me. Taking my hand in his, he leads us out of the school. My eyes widen at his touch, but I quickly relax and find it rather comforting. I’m still not sure whether this is a friends thing or a date, but I’m happy just being here with him!

“Where would you like to go?” he asks me as we walk hand-in-hand.

“Ooh! I know the most perfect little café that I found a while ago! We could go there!” I suggest.

He laughs at my excitement and tells me to lead the way.

“Why do you like the place so much?” he asks.

“Well, I had originally found it when I was looking for a place to escape to, a quiet place where I could avoid others!” I begin, choosing my words carefully so that he doesn’t find out that I discovered it whilst running away from the Six.

“It was hidden away, so I knew it would be perfect! The cutest old couple owns the place but they have been struggling to make ends meet because they don’t have any customers. I have been going there whenever I can to help them out. I know I can’t help pay their bills, but I’ll do what I can. They can’t move the way they used to and I hate the thought of them physically straining themselves to do things, so I usually just help lift things and carry out their tasks that they can’t do. I just wish that I could help them more…” I say, saddened by the thought of them struggling to make a living.

They’ve dedicated so much time and effort into running the café, but now they’re stuck as they have no money and they sold their house to open the café 20 years ago. They live in a tiny room at the back of the café, plagued daily with the thoughts of how much longer they will be able to live there. Sooner or later, they will have to file for bankruptcy and then they will have no where else to go!

As I try to blink back my tears, I realize that we’ve been walking in silence for a while, so I quickly apologize to Kikwang for rambling before and ask him to say something.

“That’s so beautiful.” He finally says, smiling at me gently.

“You’re so caring and thoughtful! I ... I wish that I had met you sooner!” he continues.

I blush, thanking him shyly and stopping walking.

“This is it!” I say, gesturing to the café hidden in a little alleyway.

I lead the way into the café. The bell rings as I open the door and Mrs Sung pokes her head out from behind the counter.

“Jinyoung! We didn’t see you yesterday!” she exclaims.

“Honey, it’s Jinyoung!” she calls out.

Mr Sung comes running out from the back.

“Jinyoung! It’s so good to see you again! And you brought a boy with you!” he says, wiggling his eyebrows.

“Yes, Aunty and Uncle! This is Kikwang. Kikwang, this is Mr and Mrs Kim! And Uncle, please don’t run like that! You could hurt yourself!” I scold him.

“Yes, mother!” He says, laughing.

I lead Kikwang to a table and then go to make tea for everyone, asking Mr Kim to sit on a chair as he began to sway.

Mrs Kim approaches Kikwang and starts to fawn over him.

“Oh, you’re such a handsome young man! And such a beautiful smile! And such wonderful manners!” she continues, as Kikwang continuously bows and thanks her.

Mr Kim laughs quietly to himself.

“Something tells me that she approves of him!” he says quietly to me.

“I’m glad, uncle! But do you approve?” I reply, laughing with him.

“I’m still convinced that no man could ever deserve such an angel as you!” he says stubbornly.

“Flattery will get you nowhere Mr Kim.” I say haughtily.

Mr and Mrs Kim soon say goodbye and go for their afternoon walk together, now that I’m here to take care of the store.

I sit opposite Kikwang as we discuss our hobbies, favourite tv shows, movies and music. I have such a good time, happy to discover that we have heaps in common.

I don’t even know when it happened, but I realize that Kikwang is now holding my hand on the table and it. I blush as I realize and look up at him, our eyes locking.

“You have such beautiful eyes.” He states.

I shift in my seat, slightly uncomfortable under his stare, and thank him awkwardly. My eyes shift back to our hands and he quickly lets go and moves his hands to underneath the table.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable! And I’m sorry if you think I was being too forward! You see, I haven’t really actually done this before and I really like you and I’m sorry!” He says shyly, speaking really fast.

“Well, I like you too Kikwang! And it seems to come naturally to you!” I say, chuckling lightly and trying to calm him down.

He laughs but then his laughter fades and he looks at me seriously.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how long have you… well, when did you realize… uh, I don’t know how to put it.” He eventually says, sighing and ruffling his hair in frustration.

“What’s wrong?” I ask, worried.

He takes a deep breath before looking back up at me.

Then he asks me something I can honestly say I never thought I would be asked.

“When did you realize that you were gay?”