Two

A Whole New World

Umma tries to wake me up the next morning for the first day of the school year, but my condition has worsened since last night.

She can now see the bruises that cover my entire body and I can’t move anymore because of an excruciating pain in my abdomen. I have become delirious and I can't see properly.

I’m scared, and the pain is too great for me to move – I feel as though I am paralyzed. Our insurance still covers us for a month or two longer, so she calls an ambulance to our house to take me to the hospital while she goes to work.

I vaguely recall the paramedics entering my bedroom, but my vision soon began to fade as I loss consciousness.


I feel groggy as I begin to open my eyes and observe my surroundings. At first, all I see is white. I try to raise my arms to rub my eyes but I can’t move my body. I sense a presence beside me so I stop trying to move. After a few more seconds, my eyes begin to adjust to the room and I see a doctor standing next to me, furrowing her brow.

“Park Jinyoung,” she says gently, “I am Doctor Yang! Do you remember me?”

I look at her face and it seems familiar, but I can’t place her in my mind.

“No, sorry Doctor Yang. Have we met before?” I manage to ask, although every word I utter makes me feel like my chest is about to cave in.

Doctor Yang notices my discomfort and tells me to relax.

“Just rest your head on the pillows and don’t strain your body.” She explains calmly.
I do as she says and when she feels that I have relaxed a bit, she continues.

“Indeed, we have met before! I was your pediatrician for many years, so I know all about you! But you grew into such a healthy and strong young girl, that you were never ill and didn’t need to see me anymore! You've grown up so much, such a beautiful young lady! Now I’m left wondering, how exactly does such a strong young lady ended up in such a condition?” she finished, looking at me sternly and waiting for me to explain.

“I – it was an accident.” I say, staring at the white sheets to avoid eye contact with her.

“Sweetie, if you just tell me who did this to you, we can make sure that they never hurt you or anyone else again!” she tries to reason with me.

I take a deep breath and look her in the eye, but then I shake my head.
“I’m sorry, I won’t say. But thank you for helping me Doctor Yang!” I say, trying to bow to her, but I can’t move my head.

It's not that they scared me into silence, it's just that I don't like telling on people and I only told the police because I felt it was my moral obligation - I could never lie to the police!

“What time is it? Should I go to school now? Is umma back from work yet?” I ask, not really giving her an opportunity to respond.

“Jinyoung, your umma is still at work, she has been working extra hard recently. I’m not really sure how to tell you this, but you’ve been in a coma for the past 3 weeks. You’re only to attend school when you are completely ready for it!” she tells me, a great sadness in her eyes.

“I’m really sorry.” She says, and I know that she means it.

I close my eyes and sigh. Three weeks of my life disappeared just like that! Umma must have been so worried! And that means that my old friends would definitely have noticed that I left by now. They must hate me now. I sigh once more, not wanting to dwell on the past.

“Doctor Yang,” I decide to ask, “Why can’t I move? Am I paralyzed?”

“Well, after three weeks of not moving, it’s understandable that your body is a bit numb! We will have you doing stretches today and if you feel you are ready, you can be discharged today!” she says.

I say okay and follow all of her instructions to the best of my ability. A nurse comes in to help me and within an hour, I have regained the use of my body.

After sorting out all the paper work, Doctor Yang drives me home.

When we arrive at the house, she also hands me a box filled with clothes.
“I know that your school doesn’t have a uniform and considering that you left most of your clothes behind, I decided to hunt around home for some casual clothes that may fit you! It's mainly my son's old clothes, but I feel like that's the look you're going for, you know, the ... uh... not feminine look!” she tells me, gesturing to my wig which i realise i have been wearing for the past 3 weeks.

I laugh at that and nod.

“Thank you very much Doctor Yang!” I say, bowing to her.

“It’s my pleasure sweetie. And just remember, if you have any problems; if you’re ever in trouble or just need someone to talk to, I’m here for you!” she says.
“Thank you! I really appreciate it!” I say, bowing once more.

I walk up the steps to my new house and unlock the door, waving goodbye to Doctor Yang.

Once I shut the door, I lean against it and slide down to the floor.

Tomorrow, I will begin my first day at my new school, almost halfway through the first semester.