Chapter 16

Teach Me How To Love You

Kai, Baekhyun and Lauren had finally arrived to the beach. Baekhyun had driven after their first stop giving Kai some time to spend with his daughter. However, he sat in the front seat because he wanted to keep an eye on Baekhyun as well. It was early in the afternoon and Lauren said she wanted to go see the beach before they went out for dinner so before Kai led her and Baekhyun along the path towards the beach.

 

"I feel like I'm in a commercial for a Sandals resort," Baekhyun said as he wrapped his arms around Kai's waist. The sun was slowly coming down and the horizon cast an orange glow across their faces. Kai kissed Baekhyun's forehead and rubbed his shoulder as he also admired the vast waters. Lauren was close by as she ran away as waves came in. Kai had told her not to get her shoes wet.

 

"Let's go, Lauren! We need to wash up before dinner!" Kai yelled out over the sound of the waves breaking. Lauren came waddling back to the couple, a little more wet than she should have been.

 

"Lauren, what did I tell you?" Kai asked Ina stern voice. Lauren pouted a bit and looked down at her very wet shoes.

 

"Not to get my shoes wet before dinner with Uncle Taemin," she said barely loud enough to hear.

 

"Exactly. How come you didn't follow what I said?" Kai asked even more sternly.

 

"Because I fell," Lauren whimpered.

 

"Wait, what? Are you all right? Is anything hurt?" Kai said losing all of the seriousness in his voice and replacing it with worry. He began inspecting Lauren's head and arms and legs for any injury. It turned out that she had scraped her elbow on a patch of shells where she was playing.

 

Baekhyun had felt a little awkward having to witness Kai scolding his child but now he realized that all of his sternness was from his love for her. He smiled as he saw Kai grab Lauren's hand and lead her toward the house. Kai had realized his mistake and waited, holding out his other hand to take Baekhyun's hoping that Baekhyun hadn't felt forgotten. Baekhyun took his hand, squeezing it to reassure him that it was okay.

 

Once they reached the house, Kai went running for the first aid kit. Once he found it he picked up Lauren and put her down on the counter so he could disinfect it and bandage it. Baekhyun sat behind them at the dining room table while he thought. Although he felt a little selfish for doing so, he was thinking about the ranking between him and Lauren. He knew it was stupid to be jealous of a kid but he couldn't help himself. Lauren was Kai's number one right now. He wondered if he would ever move up the ranks. It's kind of like the "mama's boy complex" and how some women are concerned that they will never be the woman their significant other loves most in the world. Always second to their mother. Baekhyun wanted to be the first person on Kai's list for even just a second. Maybe it will happen when Lauren gets older.

 

Baekhyun was awoken from his thoughts when he heard Lauren's little feet hopping up the stairs. He looked up to see Kai standing in front of him. Still some distance away.

 

"What are you thinking about?" Kai asked, leaning on the island across from the countertop.

 

"Nothing," Baekhyun quickly replied, guilt rising back up in his stomach.

 

"Are you sure about that? Is it about Lauren?" Kai asked, still standing at a distance.

 

"Ha! No, I'm not jealous of Lauren," Baekhyun laughed.

 

"Who said that you were jealous?"

 

"Well, maybe I am. I'm jealous of," Baekhyun paused. "Of Kyungsoo."

 

Kai laughed at that. He laughed hard. Baekhyun's cheeks visibly flushed and he looked away, waiting for Kai to catch his breath.

 

"Try again," Kai said once oxygen returned to his brain.

 

"It's true. You guys seem to have a really good relationship. Have you guys kissed before?" Baekhyun asked, actually becoming curious about their history together.

 

"Maybe once or twice," Kai said. "But it was never because we had a relationship. Or because we liked each other. It happened in weird situations like truth or dare or drunkennes at a party." Kai assured. 

 

"Hmph."

 

"What?? Baekhyun, I can assure you that you will never have to worry about Kyungsoo or my daughter..." Baekhyun glared. "If that ever crossed your mind. Lauren won't be fully dependent on me forever and one day she'll move out and I'll have you all to myself."

 

Kai held out his hands. Baekhyun took them and stood up from his chair. Kai wrapped his arms around Baekhyun's waist and hugged him. Baekhyun accepted the hug but not without his defensive side coming out once again.

 

"It's not Lauren, though."

 

"Sure."