Chapter 1

Teach Me How To Love You

 

“Lauren!” Jongin yelled as he knocked on her very pink door. Lauren opened the door a crack and poked her head out.

“Daddy, I’m getting dressed still.” She pouted. She closed the door and continued getting dressed. Jongin sighed made his way downstairs. He wondered how his daughter was a drama queen already at 5 years old. He thought that the moody years would come later but he guesses it was his wishful thinking that brought it upon him early. She took after her mother he thought. Today was Lauren’s first day of school and Jongin was more nervous than Lauren was. He wanted to be on time if not early and he wanted her to look her best. He was always a protective father. He thought that since she wasn’t valued by her mother that he must make up for that for the rest of her life. He was committed to her in every way possible. He had brought her up well for the last year but today was the day of reckoning. He wanted her to be a golden student. He wanted to teach her to value education. He wanted her to be successful. He pinned all of those outcomes on one day. Today. He continued to let his mind wander while putting toast into the toaster and pouring some orange juice for Lauren to eat on the way to school.

“Daddy, do I look pretty?” Jongin was awoken from his thoughts by Lauren’s voice. He turned around and saw Lauren wearing the floral pink dress he had bought for her last week. Suddenly reality hit him. He tried to hold back his tears as he walked over to her.

“Lauren, can I tell you something?” Jongin asked carefully.

“Mmmmhmm?” Lauren replied. Jongin chuckled at her cuteness.

“Lauren, you are always pretty. You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, see and will ever see. You will always be beautiful. Don’t ever forget that, okay?” Jongin said.

“Daddy, don’t cry.” Lauren said wiping his face with her small hands. Jongin brought his hands up to his face surprised, since he hadn’t even realized that he was crying.

“I love you.” Jongin said standing up and pulling her into his arms.

“I love you too, daddy.” Lauren said. Jongin walked over to the toaster and picked up her toast one handed. He then realized that he couldn’t finish making breakfast with only one hand so he put her down on top of the counter.

“Guess what?” Jongin said.

“What?” Lauren said excitedly.

“Guess who gets Nutella on her toast today?”

“Me?!”

“Yes, my princess.” Jongin began spreading Nutella on her toast and she watched excitedly. He was too nice to this girl but he loved her too much to care.

“Your highness.” He brought Lauren down off of the counter and handed her the finished toast. “Your orange juice, m’lady. Now let us depart for the ball.”

“Thanks, daddy.” Lauren said. Jongin helped her put her shoes on and got her situated in her car seat. He sighed once more before he started the car. They drove in silence as Lauren watched Dora and ate breakfast in the backseat. Once he arrived at the school he parked and looked back at Lauren. She smiled at him with her headphones on.

"Ready?" He asked smiling back. He thought she looked especially cute with the headphones that looked too big for her head. He got out of the car and went around to help Lauren out of her car seat. While fiddling with the seat belt he heard his name.

"Jongin!" It was Kyungsoo. Kai, Kyungsoo and his boyfriend Yixing were best friends. Kyungsoo was walking over with his daughter Dayoung.

"Hey wifey, it's been awhile." Kai said with a laugh as he finally succeeded with disconnecting the seatbelt from Lauren's very intricate chair.

"I was at your house yesterday." Kyungsoo said glumly.

 

"That was the point of the joke." Kai said slowly and facepalmed shortly after.

"It's too early for jokes, Kim Jongin! You know I'm not good with your humor. You shouldn't laugh at your hyung." Kyungsoo said blushing.

"Don't get all honorifics on me now. This is America." Jongin said jokingly and lifting Lauren out of the car.

"So do you want me to walk you to your class?" Jongin asked squatting in front of Lauren.

"You're gonna be late for work." Lauren said. "I can walk with Dayoung and Uncle Kyungsoo."

"Are you sure? You won't miss daddy too much?" Jongin asked.

"I think it's the other way around." Kyungsoo said under his breath. Jongin stood up and glared at Kyungsoo.

"Okay, then." Jongin said and his voice cracked a little.

"Are you gonna cry? What's up with you?" Kyungsoo asked giving him a look.

"My daughter doesn't need me anymore, going off to school all by herself." Jongin said sadly.

"The girl still sits in a car seat. She can't even open the car door by herself. Hold it together!" Kyungsoo said.

"Daddy?" Lauren said from below.

"Yes?" Jongin said squatting back down to her level. She grabbed his face and kissed his cheek.

"I love you daddy." A tear rolled down his face.

"I love you too." Jongin said, wiping the tears on his sleeve.

"Oh gosh. I can't watch this anymore. Such a wimp. I'll see you later for dinner." Kyungsoo said grabbing Lauren and Dayoung's hands.

"Bye daddy." Lauren said waving. Jongin waved back helplessly.

"What's a wimp?" Lauren asked, once they were away from Jongin.

"Oh...a wimp is a really awesome dad." Kyungsoo said and walked them to class.