Smile

Mine To Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Okay… ” I breathed out, preparing myself for the inevitable. But I issued a disclaimer, a heads-up just in case. “Don’t you blame me if this will turn out badly.”

 

“I’m well aware of the consequences.” He picked the knife and started slicing the garlic and onions.

 

And here I am, at my side of the kitchen, at a loss of how I should make my first move. But curiously, my subconscious brought me to a certain memory.

 

 

 

I’m standing on the stool, my arms leaning on the counter as I witness one of my latest fascinations. I marvel at the wonder around me. Closing my eyes, I could hear the heightened sound of the vegetables being cut, the onions sizzling in butter and oil. I could smell the fresh tulips delicately combined by the delicious aroma of food prepared by none other than one of my favourite personalities I’ve come to love. The smile never left my face.

 

            I opened my eyes and I saw her: crinkly eyes, messy chignon, and plump figure. I remember everything as if it was just this afternoon.

 

“Ma minette, I know you are eager to learn, but you must be patient, okay?” I grin at her English, still laced with her mother tongue. I bob my head and gave her a toothy smile, the ones only five year olds know how. It was my fervent belief that no one could ever resist them.

 

“Oui, Estrella.” Since a child, I know how to use my cards. And speaking French is one way of getting Estrella’s undivided love and attention. My two brothers divulged this juicy information to me.

 

My two brothers…

 

A sudden ache, swift but painful came, but I blocked it out, forcing their memories inside the deepest recesses of my mind.

 

I’ll deal with those later.

 

But for now, I will myself to the moment I could only handle: Estrella, our lovely personal cook.

 

“You are learning well, ma cherie.” Her heart melted. “Now remember this, first you must…”

 

 

 

 

And now I know what to do.

I turned around, about to look for…

 

“Pantry’s on your left side, the door’s unlocked. Feel free to use anything.” Holy… how did he…? Details, details, must not stress over it.

 

As I turned the light, the first thought that flashed into my mind was: KITCHEN HAVEN. I’m sure E

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter