3.

Shine for Me

 

 

 

               "For today's exercise, you'll be working by pair."

 

 

 

 

 

                That was when Yongguk started to count how many people were in the classroom, possibly to avoid ending up with Himchan.

 

                "I call dibs on you." Himchan declared through a whisper, as if he had read Yongguk's mind. Yongguk inwardly groaned.

 

                The task was explained; the teacher's droning voice being tuned out from Yongguk's head as he turned to his seatmate.

 

                "Why would you want to be partners with me?" Yongguk asked Himchan, his voice monotonous. Himchan had started drafting his own paper to submit, humming a nameless tune as he did so.

 

                "Because we're good friends." He simply said.

 

                We are?

 

                Himchan looked up from his work, greeting Yongguk with puppy-like eyes.

 

                "Aren't we?"

 

 

 

 

                Okay, that's it. It was fine before the puppy eyes. Yongguk could have managed breaking his little Himchan heart by saying no, but he just had to pull the puppy eyes card on him, didn't he?

 

 

                "Fine." He mumbled. "I guess we're..."

 

                Yongguk cringed.

 

 

 

                "...Friends."

 

 

 

xxxx

 

 

 

                A month of school had passed by, and all the while, Himchan had been by his side. According to Mr. Kang, Yongguk had gotten more sociable.That could be an effect of befriending possibly the school's biggest social butterfly.

 

                It's not as if Yongguk had a way out. Himchan was always tailing behind Yongguk no matter how far he ran away. He'd always look for Yongguk too, and that doesn't make anything easier. In short, he was stuck with Himchan. But Yongguk couldn't really say he minded. Living in solitude everyday made him wonder what it would like to have a friend. He wouldn't think about it outright or admit that, but a part of himself, no matter how much he claims he's used to it, is lonely. It's as if some god above listened to his prayers, and gave him Himchan.

 

                You could say the two were well on their way of being best friends.

 

                Yongguk doesn't complain. But perhaps, he sees Himchan differently than a friend. That's what he's been scared of all this time.

 

                Ever since he met Himchan, he had forgotten about the knife in his sink. He ate regularly. He began to write about much happier stories. He actually smiled every time Himchan cracked a joke. The biggest change although, was the fast beating in his heart.

 

 

                Whenever Himchan would cling to his arm, or lean a little too close to his face --- and his heart would skip a beat.

 

                It may sound like one of those cliche romantic novels Yongguk hated, but hey, Himchan changed a lot about Yongguk.

 

 

xxxx

 

                It was the week before finals. It's around the time that clubs release the final project which is about 50% of a student's extracurricular grade. Their teacher's only instructions or guidelines, was to write at least 3 pages. It didn't matter if it were poetry or an essay.

 

                As usual, students were hassling about every single project they had. Himchan said he already had an introduction to his project prepared, but Yongguk was ridden with the ever-hated writer's block.

 

                The two were seated against a wall. It was time for them to go home, but they stayed behind to -- as Himchan called it -- look for inspiration in nature. At least, initially, that's why they stayed. Now, it's because what can they say? They enjoyed each other's company quite alot. Sometime along their quiet conversation, Himchan rested a tired head on Yongguk's shoulder, and scooted far too close for Yongguk's liking. His heart was doing that weird thing again. His stomach was flipping. All sorts of things were happening to him, and it's all thanks to Himchan.

 

                They find themselves staying around two hours and half more, until nighttime had fallen.

 

                Himchan had urged him to come along with him, but in all honesty, he could have lived with Himchan leaning on his shoulder. Despite not having the will to stand, he let Himchan drag him to an open grassfield. The place was situated behind the school. It was used for purposes such as football games, dance-offs, or two troublemaking writers in search for inspiration.

 

                Himchan skipped over to the middle of the field, and immediately sat down. Yongguk was just watching from afar, seeing how he admired the stars.  He looked like some excited kid. The types who'd seen a jar filled with candy. Yongguk chuckled.

 

 

 

 

 

                Woah woah, wait a second.

 

 

 

 

                Yongguk chuckled.

 

 

 

                He wiped the stupid smile on his face. God, what was Himchan's mere existence doing to him? He wasn't like this a month before.

 

 

 

 

               

                "Bang Yongguk!" He heard Himchan call out from afar.

 

                Himchan pat down next to him, motioning Yongguk to come over. He got there when Himchan decided lie his back down on the grass, so Yongguk did the same. There lay down two friends, presumably alone in the campus, staring up the beautiful night sky.

 

                The sky, indeed, was no joke. Its blackness was stretched across to infinity. Thousands, if not millions, stars filled up the sky, bringing light to the dark. They were scattered, like jewels on a blanket; sparkling, twinkling, glowing.

 

                He turned his head to face the male by his side. Just like he'd assumed, he was still taken by the sky. His mouth was curled up into a small, subtle smile. His eyes twinkled even more as the several stars reflected on them. The moonlight casted a glow to his pretty face. Every feature was noted and observed by Yongguk, even though he's done so before. His defined nose, his high cheekbones, his thin lips. The slight night breeze blew his brown hair to the side of his face.

 

                With each minute he looked at Himchan,

                With each steady breath that escaped the younger boy, Yongguk's heartbeats became faster and faster.

 

                "Beautiful..." Yongguk whispered, surprising even himself when the words leave his mouth.

 

                "W-What?" The boy in question faced Yongguk, a blush clearly formed on his cheeks. Yongguk wondered if the beating in his heart would ever slow down. When he heard Himchan's laugh again, he was sure the answer was never.

 

                "Oh, you mean the sky, right? It is beautiful."

 

                No, you idiot, He wanted to say. I mean you.

 

 

 

xxxx      

                Yongguk came home that same night (his inspiration hunt deemed a failure), after walking Himchan home. He had asked Himchan why he was apparently obligated to, and the other replied: 'to be a true gentleman!'. When he reached Himchan's home, the other told him to wait. So he did. Himchan came back a couple minutes after, a loaf of bread in hand.

 

                Yongguk asked, for the second time that night, why.

 

                "Just in case you haven't eaten yet." Himchan replied. "And if you have, eat it anyway."

 

                That was the first time that anyone cared about his eating habits; besides Mr. Kang, anyway.

 

               

 

 

                "Thank you." Yongguk said, in all sincerity.

 

                Yongguk usually sounded cold, but now he sounded much different. His tone made Himchan look down at the pavement, a shade of pink starting to dust his cheeks again. "You're welcome." He gave Yongguk a smile.

 

                And at that moment, Yongguk felt himself lower his walls. Maybe he'd welcome someone into his life, for once. Yongguk smiled back.

 

                The other boy said his 'goodnight' before he finally entered his house. Yongguk walked back to his own house, alone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                That night, Yongguk had finally overcome his long-lasting insomnia. He slept soundly with a smile gracing his face; thinking of a certain boy in his writing class.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------

A/N: ohohoho yongguk iS HIMCHAN MELTING UR COLD HEART YET

ARE YOU IN LOVE

ok sorry i was supposed to post this earlier tonight???? but i fell alseep oops

i changed my mind about the threeshot btw this thing is far from over!!!!! (there aren't any conflicts or angst yet sob)

kisses you all i love you