1.

Shine for Me

 

 

                Yongguk enters Mr. Kang's office as quietly as possible. The man was busy and a part of Yongguk wishes he wouldn't be noticed by him. Although, Mr. Kang utters a surprised 'ah', pleasantly surprised that Yongguk had bothered to attend weekly therapy.

 

                "Yongguk, you're here." He said. "Take a seat, take a seat." He motions to a chair.

 

                Obediently, he pulls out the chair right in front of Mr. Kang's desk and takes a seat. Mr. Kang tells him to hang on for a while since there's a phonecall he needed to take, and Yongguk does wait. He stuffs his hands in his jacket's pockets as he scanned the whole room; he doesn't remember the last time he actually went here. Everything's different, there were more records of different clients stored in each shelf. He checks the metal plate on the desk. Engraved on the plate it read: Mr. Kang - Pyschiatrist.

 

                After Mr. Kang was scolded by his daughter over the phone (who by now, Yongguk recognized as Hyosung), they had a normal talk. This was his treatment. Well, kind of. Besides the occassional pills.

 

                The talking was as easy as it sounds. Mr. Kang asks about his week, his feelings, if he's eaten well, if he's gotten friends. The questions were normal people questions. Most of the times, Yongguk wouldn't get the point of it.

 

                The session ends with Mr. Kang flipping through Yongguk's notebook and encouraging him to join his school's writing club. He tells him 'You're a good writer!' and 'It will be a good outlet for you.' Yongguk didn't plan to join though. Like hell he would.

 

 

 

xxxx

 

 

                If Yongguk were himself one fateful day in school, he wouldn't have gone. He wouldn't have picked up a pen and paper. He wouldn't have trudged over to the designated classroom.

 

                It was shocking for most of the people in class to see Yongguk around and Oh my actual god, are my eyes deceiving me? Is Bang Yongguk really in a club?

 

                As he entered the room, there was single boy who seemed all but unfazed by Yongguk. He had a -- how does he explain this? -- bright aura around him. He was talking to this girl in front of him, grins and all. Yongguk kind of envies him; he can never be that happy. Let alone able to hold a conversation with people.

 

                There were whispers and murmurs coming from all over the room even as Yongguk settles on his chair. Not that the writing club was particularly a big club to begin with. There was around ten students signed up at the moment. The same boy from a while ago looks back to Yongguk for some reason, then offers him a smile. The girl whom he had been talking to taps his shoulder, and he faces her again to continue their conversation.

 

                Yongguk was taken aback. When was the last time someone had smiled at him? There was a weird feeling from his chest to the pit of his stomach, and he did not like it one bit.

 

                "Alright, alright." A middle-aged man, presumably the teacher, steps in front of the board. The noise dies down immediately while he's writing on the chalkboard.

 

                "Let's begin."

 

               

xxxx

 

 

                The class was pretty lax, to describe it simply. They give you sheets of paper, sometimes prompt you with words or phrases, but other than that, you're free to do as you please. You can write whatever you want of any lengths; all that's asked of you is that you turn all your papers in.

 

                Although it was somewhat enjoyable, Yongguk leaves as fast as he came. The rest lingered for a bit, chatting it up with one another. Yongguk could care less as he continued to rush to the campus' exit.

 

 

 

                "Wait up!"

 

 

 

                He freezes in his tracks. Despite himself, he looks back and finds that guy from earlier.

 

 

                "Bang Yongguk, right?" He was still smiling as brightly as ever. Yongguk wasn't sour, but half of him felt like smacking that pretty smile from his face. It was unfair.

 

                But Yongguk nods anyway, sparing at least some politeness.

 

                "I'm Kim Himchan, the club's president. Nice to meet you." He eagerly puts out his hand for Yongguk to shake. There's an awkward silence because Yongguk only stared at him; saying 'no, it's not nice to meet you' in his own way.

 

                "Oh, not one for handshakes, huh?" Himchan forces a laugh.

 

                "But that's totally cool." He says, tricked into thinking Yongguk had still been listening. In reality, the other had continued walking forward, leaving him behind. The students began to disperse and leave the halls with sounds of laughter; a girl had pulled Himchan along with her in the process.

 

                "Bang Yongguk!" He yells across the corridor just before walking back home with the girl Yongguk supposes was his girlfriend. Yongguk lets out a miniscule sigh. He looks over his shoulder, albeit exasperatedly.

 

 

 

 

 

                "See you tomorrow."

 

 

 

 

 

                His smile was something Yongguk decides could never get tired of. The way his eyes crinkled up into little twinkling crescents above his whisker-like dimples was endearing. As well as his (cute) bunny-like teeth. Whether he hated his smile or liked it, Yongguk wasn't sure. But he does hope it was the first.