Heartbeat

Learn To Fall

Sunhwa taps her pen on her desk. It's the last day of her tutoring sessions with Changmin and she's 100% sure that she doesn't just admire him, she's head over heels for him.

From the way he laughed, to the way his mismatched eyes sparkle, to the little things he did that he probably doesn't know he does, Sunhwa likes it and she hates that she can't say it out loud.

She closes her fist around the bottle of banana milk and slurps loudly. What's taking him so long?

The sound of the gate opening catches her attention. He's here. She waits for the voice of her mom welcoming the boy and the footsteps towards the study.

Heart beats faster, sweat builds up and anxiety strikes. Sunhwa doesn't want to see him yet she does. But whether or not this works out, she thinks, at least she got it off her chest.

The door opens and, as expected, Changmin comes in.

"Hey" he greets.

Sunhwa looks up at him and waves, "how's your classes?"

"fine, fine... yours?"

"same old, I guess."

Changmin sits across her and digs through his backpack, "What subjects are we going to lay out for our last day?" he says.

The girl's heart drops a little. Does he really have to remind her that it's the probably the last time they're gonna be this close.

She slams her bottle of banana milk on the table, making some of it spill.

"Oppa. We're not going to study today. I have somethi-" she tries to say but is immediately stopped by the guy's reaction.

The boy shakes his head, "Say whatever it is... later. After I do what I'm meant to do here."

Determination slips from Sunhwa's fingers with Changmin's reaction.

"If I get a perfect score in whatever test you give me right now, will you hear what I want to say?" she says, pleading a little.

Changmin just nods while handing her a bunch of papers.

---

An hour later, Sunhwa hands her papers over to Changmin and waits for him to check them.

She waits and waits, she knows she did her best but what if she doesn't get it perfect? Will she just have to keep everything in?

Changmin turns to her and Sunhwa's hands shake, anxious for the result.

"You did well, really well. There are 2-3 mistakes but it's good." he tells her, "I'm really glad you're doing great."

He smiles and she feels her heart fall to her stomach and do a back flip.

"It isn't perfect, but... go ahead. Say what you wanted to say." Changmin sighs.

Sunhwa's lips suddenly forget how to move and her voice is caught in . Come on, now or never she screams internally.

"Oppa... Changmin..." she finally says, "I... I still want to see you after this."

A hum escapes Changmin as he turns to her, "I do too."

The lovestruck girl feels herself float until she saw his eyes and she was immediately pulled down by gravity. The look in the boy's eyes was flat and... platonic.

"Wait, uhm... not just as... school mates or-" Sunhwa explains further, "I really like you Changmin."

This sudden confession took the boy by surprise. He's hoping it isn't really happening but the girl repeated her statement causing a strange feeling of panic in the boy's stomach. But he couldn't let it show, he held a straight face then a small smile.

"We just had too much time together, you're probably just confu-" he starts.

Sunhwa's eyes widened. This isn't the reaction she was hoping to hear. "What?! No! I know how I feel-" she bursts.

"Don't be a kid." Changmin coldly shrugs as he swings his bag over his shoulder and stands up.

"I'm not a kid." Sunhwa speaks nonchalantly, "and I'm serious." she states her eyes still on the seat across her.

Changmin closes his eyes, "I'm sorry Sunhwa-sshi." his voice shakes a little and he prays she didn't notice.

---

"So... how was the last tutor session?" Yunho asks before he shoves a spoonful of rice in his mouth.

Changmin just shrugs his shoulders in reply as he takes another bite off his food.

"What did she tell you?"

"Nothing."

"I didn't take you out to JUST eat."

"Then you should've let me cook at home, hyung."

Yunho raises an eyebrow at him, "No. Did she confess her feelings for you?"

Air and food meets at Changmin's throat causing the boy to cough hard.

A laugh escapes the older guy's lips, "you're so easy to read. What did you tell her? Are you two an item now?"

Changmin puts down the glass of water and glares at Yunho, "it's none of your business."

"It is my business. C'mon I introduced Jieun to you when she and I started dating..."

"We're not dating, I told her not to be a kid. It's nothing she's probably just confused."

Yunho clicks his tongue and points a spoon at Changmin, "If you're worried about me, I don't mind you staying out late for a date as long as you tell me..."

"I couldn't care less about you." Changmin sighs.

"Hey!!!" Yunho flicks Changmin's forehead, "Anyway, you broke that poor girl's heart. No dessert for you."

---

"Wait, what? You told him and he replies like that?!" Chorong's voice echoes through the receiver.

Sunhwa sighs and drops her head on the table, "I dunno what to do. He didn't really say he doesn't like me back."

"You're giving up?! That doesn't sound like the Sunhwa I know" 

"Maybe he's just not interested... or maybe he's gay..." Sunhwa raises her head and throws her hand over , "WHAT IF HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND?!"

"Then he should've told you, stupid."

"Ugggh Chorong-ie~~~ what do I do?"

"Do what you always do. Get what you want. Based on what you've told me about him, maybe he's just not someone you'd get on the first try."

"that's it! Love you Chorong!"

"Yeah, yeah. You owe me cake, tomorrow."

Sunhwa ends the call and heads out the front door for a walk.

As she's walking through the crowded block, she bumps too strongly with a guy and she falls on her .

"Sunhwa-sshi?" she hears a familiar voice say her name, she looks up and sees two guys staring down at her. One she knows and the other just a bit shorter and had almond shaped eyes and a mole above his lips.

The shorter guy holds out his hand and helps her up.

"So you're Sunhwa, it's nice to finally meet you. I'm Yunho, Changmin's brother." the guy introduces with a knee-weakening grin.

Sunhwa dusts her skirt and smiles back at him then she looks at Changmin who was worriedly looking at her.

"I'm fine. It's nice to meet you Yunho-oppa" she bows.

Yunho grins widely and strongly pats Changmin's back, "Well, I gotta go. I'll leave you kids to... yknow... socialize." he then runs away after winking at the younger boy.

A groan escapes Changmin's lips and he mentally face palms.

"Your brother sure is full of energy" Sunhwa chuckles.

The younger boy keeps his eyes on his hyung disappearing in the crowd, "Yeah well... he's a pocketful of sunshine."

"About earlier... I-I wasn't kidding, Changmin." the girl shyly blurts out.

Changmin gives her a soft smile, "I'll walk you home."

Sunhwa shakes her head and points forward, "Maybe later. Let's just... walk."

They walk, they talk, they laugh and the sun begins to set.

Changmin and Sunhwa stand in front of the latter's gate.

"Thanks" she says.

He doesn't verbally reply, he just smiles gingerly.

She let's out a breath and places her hands on his shoulders and raises herself on her toes.

Here goes nothing, she thinks and she quickly leans in and lets their lips meet. It doesn't last long, just quick enough to make their hearts pound on their ribs.

She moves away only to find his eyes slowly open.

"Goodnight Changmin." Sunhwa quickly says before running into her home.

He blinks his eyes and utter a small, "goodnight Sunhwa" as he stares at the spot she was standing in.

He scratches the back of his neck, a small smile on his lips. Changmin then shakes his head, his smile disappearing, and proceeds to walk to his home.

 


How was that?

Thank you for reading and subscribing^^

Here's a SHORT video I made :) It's Changmin/Sunhwa(with a bit of Kwanghee)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsWYID2WSXs

It'd be really really awesome if you could watch it  and tell me what you think :D

Thank you again!