Safe and Sound

My Mistake

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 33: Safe and Sound [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Soundtrack: "Safe and Sound" - Sam Tsui (cover)

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

Nam Soon ran on the path he and Heung Soo used to pass when they lived together. His feet were taking him there, but his mind was only thinking of Heung Soo. He was worried, hoping that he would find him at any corner, just walking slowly, and that he would just laugh at him, calling him a drama queen for being worried for nothing. All the way, he would dial his number, hoping he would pick it up and mock at him for being so desperate.

He turned in a short alley - one shortcut they used to walk by, where they never once saw someone walking. And then he heard the sound that made his heart almost stop beating for a second.

 

"Just close your eyes

The sun is going down'

 

It was Heung Soo’s ringtone.

Right at the corner he could see a body down on the cold pavement, and for Nam Soon, the time stopped at that moment. He didn’t notice when was it that he approached him, but the next thing he knew he had Heung Soo lying unconscious on his lap, a pool of blood behind his head and on Nam Soon’s hand.

His body started trembling so much and he couldn’t think as he dialed Joo Mi’s phone number, the tears b from his eyes, his entire body colder than Heung Soo’s.

He didn’t listen to her words when she picked up. All he could say were those three desperate words, full of sorrow and hopelessness.

“Please… Please save us,”

He couldn’t lose him. What would he do in a life without Heung Soo? If something happened to Heung Soo, would he be able to carry on living?

He wouldn’t. If something happened to him, he would die with him. There was no life for Nam Soon without Heung Soo.

Heung Soo was his life. He couldn’t lose him.

 

"I remember you said 'Don't leave me here alone'"

But all that's dead and gone and past tonight."

 

Nam Soon was sitting on the waiting area, waiting from some news of Heung Soo who had just been taken inside after they arrived with the ambulance. His shirt was still messed with blood. He stared hopelessly at the ground, his ears hearing nothing, his eyes seeing nothing. He felt nothing. He was lost.

He didn’t notice the moment where Joo Mi reached the alley, spotting him there laying alone, with one numb expression, his eyes staring into nothingness as he held onto Heung Soo’s clothes without reaction. Nam Soon was the picture of pure despair.

Now she waited in silence in front of him. She was also trembling, though she didn’t have blood in her clothes like Nam Soon, and her eyes weren’t as swollen and red as his - not that this would diminish her worry.

They didn’t know how much times they spend there until the doctor finally arrived. Joo Mi headed straight to him, full of questions. Nam Soon, however, didn’t leave his place. He didn’t have the strength to do so. His whole body was trembling and an empty abyss had formed inside his chest.

“He suffered a concussion because of the blow, but he is stable now. We just gave him some stitches and took a CT scan to make sure everything is okay. He will have to be in observation for the next twelve hours just to make sure.”

Nam Soon heard those words, but he couldn’t clearly process them. Heung Soo would be okay? That was it? He was all right?

He stood up, approaching Joo Mi and the doctor, his eyes still numb. He needed to see him.

“Where is Heung Soo?” He whispered, staring at the doctor as Joo Mi looked back at him without speaking a word.

“He is at the ER, you can go now stay with him.”

Nam Soon didn’t wait to hear more. He rushed to the ER, and, at the third bed, there he was. Heung Soo was sat at the bed with some bandage around his head and seemed surprised to see Nam Soon. 

 

"You'll be alright

No one can hurt you now"

 

The younger boy sobbed, feeling the tears b at his eyes again. Heung Soo was awake. Heung Soo was okay.

He rushed to him without worrying if anyone would see. He didn’t care because he had Heung Soo with him. Heung Soo was alive.

With the tears already dripping from his eyes, he pulled the older boy in a tight hug, drowning his face on his neck, his hands touching him in a tight grip to reassure him that Heung Soo was indeed there.

“I was so scared...” he sobbed. “I thought I would lose you, I was so scared…” He repeated between the tears. Heung Soo held his shoulders, pushing him away. And he had a brief smile on his lips.

“You are such a drama queen,” Heung Soo giggled, and Nam Soon, returned his smile. Heung Soo was smiling at him. He thought he would never see his face again, he thought he had lost him. Nam Soon backed away with a smile on his face, the final tears dripping from his eyes, and Heung Soo dried them off with his thumbs. 

 

"I remember tears streaming down your face

When I said 'I'll never let you go'"

 

 “I wouldn’t leave you alone like this. Who would take care of you if I was gone?” he smiled, finally looking behind Nam Soon and staring at his sister that stood there since the beginning. He pulled his hand away and Nam Soon looked back, seeming a bit awkward.

Joo Mi stared at both of them for some seconds, probably thinking about what to say.

“I will ask the doctor when the results will be out,” she mumbled, turning around and heading out.

Nam Soon turned to stare at Heung Soo, who had his smile back to his face.

“I’m sorry I made you so worried,” he said and Nam Soon shook his head. Heung Soo had nothing to be sorry for. It wasn’t his fault.

“You are here, it’s all okay now,” Nam Soon said, pulling his hands close to his face and planting a kiss on his palm.

Joo Mi returned half an hour later, only to find Heung Soo already lying on the bed, sleeping, and Nam Soon on the chair at his side, their hands laced as Nam Soon’s head rested over him, also asleep. She sat on the chair on the other side, and waited as she stared at both of them.

That moment she arrived at the alley, the expression on Nam Soon’s eyes, her brother lying unconscious with blood all over Nam Soon’s shirt and hands... That would be something she would never forget. Not only the terrible feeling of knowing that she could lose her brother, but also the way Nam Soon seemed as dead as him. Nam Soon, the boy she made her best to hate and blamed for everything - he was the one holding tight at her unconscious brother. When she was the one who ignored him until things ended up that way.

Who was at wrong now? Was it Nam Soon, or was it her? 

 

"When all those shadows almost killed your light"

 

Heung Soo woke up after an hour and stared at her sister at his side. Nam Soon was still sleeping, his hands tightly holding his and Heung Soo didn’t let go.

“Noona...” He whispered as she stared back at him.

“I’m not saying I understand. I don’t understand. I also don’t think it’s right, or natural...” she whispered, staring at their hands. “But what do I know? If you say he is...” She stuttered on her words, looking down and back at him again. “If you say you love him... What right do I have to be against it?” She lowered her head. This wasn’t sounding like she had planned. “What I’m trying to say is that I’m sorry... Because of me...” She fought a threatening tear from leaving her eyes and look to the side, allowing it to disappear. “So... It’s okay. Even though I don’t understand... Two guys... Even so, it’s okay. If you are happy... If he makes you happy... Then I will be happy too,” she bit her lips, staring at the sleeping Nam Soon.

Heung Soo was looking at her without believing what she said. Joo Mi was finally accepting him? He bit his lips, wanting to cry. He waited for this for so long. He no longer had any hope left, but now he finally had his entire family back.

Finally at last. 

 

"Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound"

 

Nam Soon woke up when the doctor approached them with the result of the exams. Apparently, he had good news.

“You are fine to go home,” he said, and Joo Mi smiled at her brother relieved. Nam Soon had to bite his lips to not cry again. “There were no problem with the exams, you’ll be fine.”

 

...

 

The three of them headed towards the exit, though Heung Soo didn’t have any plans to go back with Joo Mi - even though things were apparently better with his sister, he didn’t want to be apart from Nam Soon anymore. However that wasn’t what she had in mind, so when he turned to say good bye, she looked worried.

“I thought...” she mumbled and Nam Soon watched from a distance. He didn’t hear their previous conversation so he didn’t understand what was really going on.

“I’m living with Nam Soon now,” Heung Soo said, biting his lips. He didn’t think this would be a problem anymore.

Joo Mi stopped there, looking apprehensive and thoughtful. After thinking about it twice, and then again, she seemed to have made her mind.

“So… let’s pack your bags properly. You left more than half of your stuff there,” she smiled lightly, but without even looking at Nam Soon. She accepted it, but she still didn’t forget her resentment with him just yet. She was still stubborn, but Heung Soo was not worried about it. He knew she would come to accept him completely eventually.

She gave both of them a ride home - Nam Soon said he would wait at home but Heung Soo insisted that he should follow him. It took two full bags to pack everything Heung Soo had left at his sister’s, and when they finally finished she stood there by the door staring at them. She watched both boys - Nam Soon helping him by carrying both his bags even though Heung Soo insisted he didn’t need to, but Nam Soon kept saying he had just left the hospital so he couldn’t force himself yet with this stuff.

“Are you two eating properly there?” she asked staring at Nam Soon, who in her eyes looked skinnier than when he was living with her. “Do you need something? Need some money?” She asked, trying not to look that worried but miserably failing.

“We are okay,” Heung Soo smiled at her, touching Nam Soon’s shoulder and opening the door to leave.

Nam Soon stopped at the door and stared at her with an awkward smile on his face.

“Thank you, noona,” he whispered even though he knew she wouldn’t reply.

They were already opening the gate when the door opened again and Joo Mi appeared, staring at them with the car keys on her hands.

“I’ll give you a ride, how are you taking the bus with so many bags,” she mumbled and Heung Soo looked at Nam Soon by his side with a wide smile on his lips.

Things would be okay now. Everything would be okay.

 

 

It took some time for Joo Mi to finally let go. She held Heung Soo when he left the car, however she didn’t cry and also didn’t say anything. But it took all she had to let go. To finally let Heung Soo go.

“Noona, it’s not like I won’t see you again,” Heung Soo giggled, finally pulling away from her embrace. She just nodded her head in acceptance and returned to the car without looking back at Nam Soon again.

But Nam Soon wasn’t hurt. He didn’t mind as long as she accepted Heung Soo. This was already something he didn’t imagine it would be possible. But Heung Soo was right - Joo Mi was indeed pretty different from his father.

But he didn’t want to think about it no more. His father had nothing to do with him anymore, and now he already made himself believe he no longer cared. Because he had Heung Soo. He didn’t need anyone else if Heung Soo was by his side.

 

 

Heung Soo was sitting on the sofa for some minutes after they arrived as Nam Soon made dinner. He said he would help, but Nam Soon insisted that he still needed some rest - even though the doctor said he was okay, that didn’t change the fact that he had some stitches on his head. He couldn’t be careless.

Nam Soon served the steamed rice after some minutes and they sat in front of the table to eat. He stared at the older boy before starting to speak. He wondered why Heung Soo hadn’t brought the subject yet.

“Shouldn’t we report this at the police station?” Nam Soon asked without starting to eat his rice.

Heung Soo stared at him, chewing his food, and answered after he swallowed.

“I won’t,” Heung Soo simply said, adding more vegetable on his bowl. Nam Soon stared at him incredulous.

“Why? Heung Soo, you know I would kill them if I saw them again, right?” He hissed as the older rolled his eyes.

“I kicked them first. Technically I started it,” He simply snorted out.

“So what, they almost killed you.” Nam Soon couldn’t believe that Heung Soo was really defending them. Why, all of a sudden?

“I’m just saying it’s my word against them.”

“And the doctors that attended you today.”

“Nam Soon… it will take a lot to prove, there’s no witness, and we clearly have grudges against them, the whole school can prove it.”

“Yi Kyung and Ji Hoon saw them following you,” Nam Soon insisted, but Heung Soo shook his head, poking his food with his spoon.

“I don’t want to spend more time with it. I’m okay, nothing happened. I don’t have any plans on seeing those guys again. And that’s it. I just don’t want to have anything to do with this anymore. Can’t we just forget it?” He insisted, taking hold of the hand that was resting over the table - Nam Soon’s hand. Nam Soon didn’t seem much convinced though. “Now it’s you and me. The other things… let’s just leave them in the past, can’t you do that?” He smiled, patting the younger boy’s head. Nam Soon sighed, but in the end returned him a sweet smile. “Now eat, it’s getting cold,” he said, putting a spoonful of rice on his mouth.

It’s okay now. Heung Soo was okay. Nam Soon could do that. They still had their whole life ahead of them.

 

“Hold onto this lullaby

Even when the music's gone”

 

The next year of their lives went on like a vivid dream. It had been the best in their entire lives. With nothing to really worry about, living together, with their dreams still to come… It went on so fast they barely could believe it’s already been a year since they graduated - since they started living together.

Go Nam Soon and Park Heung Soo slowly started to become real adults. And, just like adults, their duties also started to be part of their lives.

They still planned to open their Ramen Shop, but it wasn’t that simple, and they knew it was not yet the time for that.

Heung Soo got exempt of his obligatory military service because of the injury in his knee. Nam Soon however, wouldn’t be able to escape it. Sooner or later he would have to spend his two years away from his lover. And after some months of thinking about it, they reached the conclusion that the sooner the better. Later, when they would have already started their business, when they would be so full of things to do, it would be harder - pulling it back would be worse.

So the day they said good bye, they promised each other - that that those two years would be the last time they would have to be apart.

 

“Come morning light

You and I'll be safe and sound”

[/CONTENTID3]


[CONTENTID4]

(UPDATE 2015/01 : Chapter last edited and revised on this current date)

And here it is, sooner than i expected! :D Sorry that i made everyone worried, even though i thought i was generous, it was supposed to end when nam soon found him... i think it would be a little worse? don't know anymore! xD LOL

Now, it's only once chapter left! I will miss this fic! It's been a year already! xD

I'm starting a new HeungSoon fic when this one ends... If you want to follow it, subscribe!: "Our New Fate"

And Thanks for Yoselin (tumblr: stormpiece.tumblr.com ) for reviewing the chapter for me again! And also thanks for helping me out with the questions i had! :) [/CONTENTID4]