Part 8

The Romance Between Us

 

            (Ten years ago ...)

            That night it snowed. Even so, there are still many people passing by on the streets to gather or just spend time looking at the bustling atmosphere.

            The little boy just out of a store. His face looked annoyed once while carrying a plastic bag full of groceries. Did not care about anything. He just wanted to go home to resumed his game.

            When he wanted to run, he suddenly heard the sound of sobbing. The little boy immediately turned his head to the left and to the right to find out who's crying. Finally, he found a little girl who was crouching under a tree, crying. Perhaps no one heard her sobs in the bustling atmosphere of the night. The little boy decided to approach her.

            "Why are you crying?" asked him at the little girl.

            The little girl stopped crying and looked at him with her wet eyes. Her face was red. "W-what are you doing here?" she asked back in a trembling voice.

            "I just want to help you because you seem like need a help."

            "Not. I don’t need your help!"

            His forehead frowned, surprised and puzzled by her refusal. "Then, why are you alone here? Where's your friend? Where are your parents? And why have you been crying?" He asked again, but not directly answered by her. The little girl sniffed back instead. "Yaaa! Why are you crying again? Please, stop... come on, stop crying! I'm sorry..." said him.

            "You... why do you care about me?" suddenly the little girl asked. Her sharp eyes stared at him. "You can pretend not to see me cry here and gone."

            The little boy was silent, staring at her who was still sobbing a bit. Then, he sighed. "How can I not care about you? I would care to anyone who needs help, no matter who they are," he said. "Come on, now tell me. Why are you here and why are you crying."

            The little girl did not answer the question. After her sobs stopped, she was wiping the tears from her eyes and stared at him with eyes which was still wet. "I got lost. Can you drive me home?"

 

***

 

            "Why did you lost so far?" asked the little boy when they just got off the bus. He looked at her who was just keep silent, like did not listening to his words earlier. "Where is your house?" he asked.

            "Not too far," replied the little girl as she hugged herself with her both hands.

            Seeing the little girl’s gesture, the little boy immediately took off his jacket and covered her body with it. He smiled at her who looked at him with a puzzled look because of his attitude. "Just wear it! You can return my jacket when we've arrived at your house," he said.

            Shortly thereafter, the little girl pointed to a fairly large house and said, "That's my house!"

            "Oh. Let's go there!"

            They jogged toward the house. After arriving at the front gate, they looked at each other. Later, the little girl took off the jacket and return it to him. "Thank you," she said with a small smile.

            "You don’t have to thank me," said the little boy humbled himself while the girl smiled. "By the way, what's your name?"

            "Yeon," said the girl.

            "Just Yeon?"

            The little girl nodded confidently. "Your name is?"

            "Hyun."

            “Just Hyun?”

            The little boy nodded confidently.

            "Yaaa! You just copied me, right?" cried the girl, chuckling.

            The little boy laughed too. Suddenly, something fell out of his jacket pockets. It was something that attracted the attention of the little girl who took it.

            "What a beautiful key chain!" she said, and returned it the little boy.

            "You like?" asked the little boy.

            The little girl nodded quickly to answer it.

            Without saying anything else, the little boy pulled her hands and put the key chain on it. "Take it!"

            "For me?" the little girl asked, incredulously.

            The little boy nodded confidently. "Yes, for you."

            "Aaahhh... thank you! Thank you very much!" said her, excitedly. "You're very nice at all. Thank you."

            "Well... I told you that you don’t need to thank me," said the little boy with a big smile. He loved to see the smile on her face. "Ok, I'm going home!"

            "Ah, yes. It's late," said the little girl. "Is it okay if u’re going home now?"

            The little boy was grinning broadly. "Yaaa! I’m a boy! What's to fear?" he said. "Bye, Yeon! I hope, someday we can meet again."

            "Yes, I hope so. Be careful, Hyun!"

 

***

 

            "Soohyun ah, I’m sorry! I've been going to the toilet for a while," said Taeyeon at Soohyun when she returned to their table. She frowned as Soohyun did not respond to her words earlier. Taeyeon waved his hand in front of his face. "Soohyun ah," she called.

            Finally, Soohyun snapped out of his reverie. He stared at Taeyeon, chuckling. "You're back, Taeyeon ah?" he said.

            "Yes. What’s up?" Taeyeon asked, and sat down in front of Soohyun. Her eyes suddenly fell on her cell phone that was in his hand. "Why are you holding my cell phone?"

            "Yes? Oh, sorry..." Soohyun said nervously, then returned the phone to Taeyeon.

            Taeyeon looked at him suspiciously. "What's the matter with you? Why you look weird now?" she asked. Suddenly, her eyes rounded. "Yaaa! You read my messages?"

            "No! Why would I do?"

            "Then, why are you acting weird like this?"

            Soohyun was not immediately answered. He was silent for a moment, then looked at Taeyeon closely with a small smile. "I was thinking about my childhood."

            "Really?"

            Soohyun nodded confidently. "And it was reminded me of someone."

            "Sica?"

            This time, Soohyun shook his head. "My little friend," he replied. "It was the first time we met. I found her crying alone. She said that she was lost, and then I took her home. We had time to get acquainted. Her name was Yeon. Only Yeon. Before I left, I gave her my key chain because she loved it."

            Taeyeon stared at Soohyun with a puzzled look. "That's funny! Why did the girl's name just Yeon? And... hey, Yeon is also my nickname when I was a kid!"

            "Really?" asked Soohyun. He had suspected that Taeyeon had forgotten about it. However the incident happened so long ago. "By the way, I love the key chain of you handphone. Where did you buy it?"

            "Ah, this? I didn’t buy it. When I was a kid, a little boy who kindly gave it to me."

            "Do you still remember what was his name?"

            "Mmm... ah, I remember! His name is Hyun. Only Hyun. It’s weird, isn’t it? Why he just had a short name?" Taeyeon paused for a moment, then sighed heavily. "After the incident I never met him. If only I had the chance to meet him, I'd love to do it."

            "Taeyeon ah, what is it not strange? I mean, I ever gave a key chain to Yeon and you received a key chain from Hyun. Yeon was also your nickname when you were a kid and Hyun also my nickname when I was a kid. You know, I still remember the key chain that I gave to Yeon and its shape exactly like yours."

            "You're telling me if we ever met before? Long long ago?”

            "Yes, we've met. I am Hyun, Yeon ah!"

            Taeyeon stared back at Soohyun, still with a puzzled look. Her brain was thinking hard. " Yeon is an acronym of Tae Yeon and Hyun is an acronym of Soo Hyun? But, there are still many people who have the name Hyun and Yeon right?"

            "But, only us who have the same childhood story," said Soohyun. He smiled happily at Taeyeon. "Finally, I can meet you again, Yeon! I found Yeon."

 

***

-To Be Continued-

still, I apologize to you all cuz I didn't update it faster ㅠㅠ

I hope u enjoy reading this! ^^

and I'll work harder on it ^o^