10

Goodbye, Lee Taemin.

ADREANNE

 

From the mezzanine, Adreanne stared at her husband and her best friend's lovey dovey scene. She heard what they were talking about, word by word. It was a big house, and in the hallway they were standing in, everything echoed. No matter how Taemin tried to keep his voice down, the silence in the house was too quiet to hide anything from Adreanne, who was standing on the first floor.

It was her very intention to spy on the pair. She wanted to see how the two people acts around each other when she's not in the picture, and her own house helped her.

Much to her own surprise, Adreanne wasn't sad. She instead finally felt angry for once when she thought about the whole situation. Taemin had the audacity to breach her trust when it comes to the house. That was something she couldn't tolerate. It was something that she wasn't willing to give up and put behind her- no matter what his excuses will be.

Taemin wanted a reset in his life when he married her. Her parents were esteemed business figures in the country, one that was equally, if not more successful than the Lee family's conglomerate. Their difference was just Adreanne's parents has always been lowkey and down low, privacy being their utmost priority. The Lee Family on the other hand, has always been under the media's spotlight since the mysterious death of Taemin's father and grandmother. So she understood why Taemin wanted them to be the way they were now, aside from the fact that his mother would not hesitate to end her if she finds out about her little play house thing with his beloved son.

If the media finds out that the children from these two families are actually married... They would have a field day with it. Their every little move would be a news to sell.

So she genuinely understood where he was coming from when he expressed how he wanted them to live as they moved further into life as a married couple.

Adreanne also understood that his life with her was probably one of the things that he had a full control on. One where he can finally enjoy freedom, and he doesn't have to act a certain way or follow any orders to keep anything functioning. A life without his mother. A life where he can unwind and just be his genuine self.

That was the reason why has never let anyone know where she lived. She too, loved the privacy and safety, she wanted the house to be a place where Taemin felt happy to come back to. A place where only both of them knew exist. She knew he didn't have that when he was growing up. So she tried her best to both be his home and make a home out of the house he has gifted her. This was all without her parents knowing, although they were the ones that Adreanne would really love to share her happiness with. They thought she's living in a nice little apartment in the city, but that wasn't it at all. She sold the apartment to Key and Jonghyun because they loved the property the moment they stepped in there.

Adreanne respected Taemin's wishes to keep everything private. She wanted it too. But sometimes, sometimes...  she wished Taemin could make an exception for her parents. She wanted so badly to share her happiness with them, and the heaviness of the lies she has told them weighs her shoulders sometimes. She would want to invite her parents over for dinner, and spend time with them together here in her home instead of having to think of excuses to not let them visit her house. She would want for them to have tea with Taemin on the evening while they talk business, and do just about other random things in life, like other families do.

But it wasn't what Taemin wanted, and she obliged because in all honesty, there's nothing she wouldn't endure as long as the person she loves the most in the entire world could feel comfortable in the little space they have created together and called home.

Taemin only wanted her and her alone in his life. Adreanne respected this too.

So why can't he respect her?

After she entered the kitchen again, they talked about random things as they ate dinner- including how Tiffany wasn't invited to Adreanne's book launching. She complained that she only found it about it from Jonghyun who changed the date of his concert only to attend "my beloved sister's book launching". Taemin had scoffed and smirked when the matter was brought up, and Adreanne has prayed so hard so that he wouldn't bring up the fact that he was also uninvited. Luckily he didn't. If he did, she felt like she would feel even worser than she does now. What kind of wife doesn't invite her husband to one of the most important event in her life? It would be evident that the marriage is in shambles.

And it is. The marriage is in fact crumbling. Now that Tiffany even have the guts to step a foot into their house and was so adamant in pretending that nothing is happening between them- Adreanne wonders if it's finally her time to let go. To stop fixing things and staying as Taemin leaves the door every day to bring back another reason to break her heart. To stop acting like she's not hurt whenever Taemin comes home with Tiffany's scent heavy in the air.

She clenched the spoon in her grasp and tried to not get lost in her own thoughts.

"You're such a great cook, Adreanne. No wonder Taemin loves you so much. I have met a lot of married man during private events, and don't be shocked when I tell you that almost. all. of. them. cheats on their wives at every chance they got," Tiffany commented as she refilled her plate, the pauses in her sentence emphasizing her point. Adreanne could physically feel the change in Taemin's mood albeit how composed his whole stature looked like as he continued eating. "Yummy. So good." Tiffany smiled at both her and Taemin, her eyes lingering a tad longer when she stared into Taemin's eyes.

Adreanne glanced at her husband. He's still the way he was. Stone cold. Like he knew nothing. Like Tiffany's backhanded compliment towards his own wife earlier didn't have an effect on him at all.

Adreanne had no will in her to keep smiling. She prodded at the untouched chicken in her plate, her appetite leaving her as seconds passed although she was famished a few hours ago when she was thinking of what to cook for dinner. Unannounced, Taemin scooted his chair closer to her. She looked at him when he suddenly leaned his body slightly towards her, then realizing that he was cutting the chicken for her into bite sized pieces.

"You know how much I love this dish. Better eat up before I steal it from you," He mumbled as he poured more gravy into her plate. Adreanne pushed the plate slightly towards him.

"Take it then. I'll just eat the dessert."

Taemin stared at her sharply, and tilted his head slightly.

"What?" Adreanne whined softly, only loud enough for Taemin to hear. She lifted her gaze to meet his eyes, and he raised his eyebrows before looking at her plate, then at her again. "I am not hungry," Was her response, before she pushed her plate gently towards his plate.

Taemin sighed and reached forward to pour her more drink. White grape juice with aloe vera bits. A favorite in the house. Taehyung would get excited whenever the juice makes its appearance whenever he had dinner with them too.

"I would have never imagined Adreanne to be this spoiled," Tiffany giggled. "So cute."

"I'm not." Was Adreanne's curt reply before she took a bite of the chicken. Taemin only continued eating after Adreanne started eating more and more of her food. She didn't feel like adding any more value to the conversation. She just wished Tiffany would leave now, because it was getting late, her patience was wearing thin, and all she wanted to do was go upstairs and scream into her pillow then cry until she falls asleep. Staying awake in the current circumstances felt like a torture.

Tiffany was overstaying her welcome, both Adreanne and Taemin knew that. She kept commenting on different things- and even giving an unsolicited advice about how Adreanne should dress ier at home for her husband. The light blue linen blouse and long khaki pants she was wearing was "ain't it", according to Tiffany- and Taemin finally intervened, saying that there's a time and place for everything. It made Tiffany shrug as she cleared her plate nonchalantly, and when she said "I'm just saying. I don't want my sister to lose her husband to someone who can take better care of him, especially in THAT aspect, you know?" Adreanne finally felt like she was losing it inside. She couldn't bear to be in the room anymore. It was humiliation after humiliation, and Adreanne was starting to think that Tiffany had the audacity to be rude to her in her own home only because it was the truth. Did Taemin complain about his inadequate wife to his girlfriend? He probably did, because all of Tiffany's jabs towards her was hurting her. Whatever she was doing, it was working.

Where did Tiffany found the boldness to say that? Adreanne knew how straightforward and sassy Tiffany could be, but this was just outright rude. Adreanne's head snapped up to look at her husband when Taemin dropped his utensils too loudly onto his empty plate, and she knew how angry he was by the way his jaw clenched.

"Have your dessert, noona. Then we'll send you off. It's late, I am sure we all have an early day tomorrow." Taemin smiled slightly at Tiffany as he served Adreanne the dessert, before serving some for Tiffany too. Adreanne placed her bowl in front of Taemin instead, and collected their dirty plates to be washed at the sink.

"Can you send me home, Taemin? I didn't bring my car, and I am afraid to take the taxi," Tiffany pouted at the man, and before Taemin could part his lips to answer, Adreanne who was washing the dishes cut him off without even turning around.

"I'll make sure Taehyung send you to your home safely, unnie. Don't worry." Adreanne sounded eerily cold, but of course only Taemin noticed her change in demeanor, because Tiffany pouted at him- thinking that it was going to work on making him convince Adreanne to change her mind.

Ignoring Tiffany's obvious displeasure, Taemin took Adreanne's phone from her side of the dining table soundlessly, keyed in his birthday to unlock the phone and called Mr. Kim to prepare a ride for Tiffany.

 


TAEMIN

 

"Can we talk?" Was what Taemin dared to say after a few minutes of silence that engulfs them following Tiffany's departure. He was testing the waters, trying to see his fate that night. He didn't fully grasp whatever happened a few hours ago, it all happened too suddenly. Adreanne looked angry and tense, angry being an adjective he rarely have to use when talking about her. It's such a rare emotion for her to have, and it worried him. Whatever the just happened was something he didn't understand, but Adreanne didn't look like she knew anything either. Had she purposely invited Tiffany over, she wouldn't have reacted the way she did today. She would've told him earlier, plan meals a few days in advance, and probably even remind him to come home early in the morning.

But she didn't, so he deducted that Tiffany probably invited herself over.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, though. Maybe Adreanne did invited Tiffany over and forgot about it. Maybe she also did forget that Taemin didn't like anyone else (other than a few selected people) to know about their home. If that's the case, he wasn't planning to be angry at her at all. He just wanted a confirmation, so he knew what to do or say to his wife next.

This was the first time that Taemin saw an interaction between Adreanne and Tiffany, though. It was totally different from what he had expected, because from Adreanne's stories, Tiffany was pleasant; a good, fun friend. The Tiffany who talked to Adreanne just now was just rude. If Adreanne weren't in the room and Tiffany talked crap just like what she did earlier, Taemin wouldn't even think twice to reprimand the woman to watch .

He was only polite because Tiffany was Adreanne's friend. And he could only meekly stand up for her, because he knew Adreanne wouldn't appreciate him shaming her friend at their dinner table.

Clanking sounds of glass penetrated the air. Adreanne gave no answer. Taemin was losing his patience. He stared sharply at the back of her head, and he was getting frustrated. Why the must women be so hard to deal with? His crazy mom, Tiffany, and now Adreanne too? This whole thing was giving him a headache. He wanted to talk nicely, but Adreanne was making it hard for him to stay patient. Another minute of her silent treatment will kill him.

Why must he be the one to bear the punishment and getting to deal this when it was Tiffany who disrespected her? He wanted to talk to her so he can apologize for being a husband earlier at the dinner table. He wanted to apologize for not standing up enough for her- he wanted to tell her that if it was up to him, and if Tiffany wasn't her friend, he would have kicked her out the moment she started acting like her opinion matters. Adreanne didn't deserve the way Tiffany treated her at all. It all pissed Taemin off, but now that Adreanne was acting up like this, he was afraid that his frustrations are going to explode if he didn't remove himself from the kitchen right away. He might end up saying things that hurts her. He didn't want that. He knew he has hurt her enough.

But shouldn't he be the one getting upset instead? Although he wasn't sure who invited Tiffany here, Adreanne had allowed Tiffany into their home. He would understand that Tiffany probably got past the main gate of the residency because she is THE Tiffany Hwang, it's believable that she would be invited to someone home around the elite side of the town, but he still made a mental note to berate the management later for letting someone who's not in their visitor list to go past the gate. He didn't like it one bit. He felt a little hurt that Adreanne has broken their promise regarding who gets to know where they reside. He understood that Tiffany was her best friend, but still...

But he guessed he will let this whole Tiffany thing go for now.

"If you can't talk now, I understand. I'll be up-"

"I trusted you." Was Adreanne's first sentence after her silence. It sounded like it took everything in her just to say that. Her voice sounded like she could break into tears any second now. "You said this place is just for us. You said this is my safe place."

Taemin knew that this was going to be another long, painful night for both of them. He shut his eyes and inhaled the cold, kitchen air, readying himself to listen to what his wife was going to say.

A sob penetrated the air. Taemin's eyes were now open wide, because he wasn't ready for the heart-wrenching sobs that escaped his beloved wife's lips. "I had to beg for you to allow me to tell my parents about us. I still can't. If they do know, at least they can come visit me here when I'm lonely, when you are away doing whatever it is that you do out there most nights. I don't really care anymore, because this world revolves around you. My world revolves around you," She sobbed more, and her hands stopped washing the dishes. They gripped the counter, and the sound of running tap water accompanied her broken speech.

"I can't. My parents can't." She continued. "But Tiff-," She choked on her words, "You let her come here into my safe place and I have never felt so disrespected in my whole life. You promised me that this home belongs to only me and you. You promised that whoever comes in here are the people who can't hurt me. And-"

"What are you talking about?" Taemin seethed as he walked towards her, anger slowly taking over his mind at Adreanne's accusations.

Adreanne seemed like she didn't hear what he said. "You let her breech my home. You didn't let my parents... the two people who would accept and love you wholeheartedly in a heartbeat if they know about us, to know that their daughter is married to you, to know where I sleep at night, and you let a woman who didn't think twice to embarrass me in front of my husband to enter this house. Our house. My house." Adreanne turned around when she felt his warmth hovering behind her. She looked up at him, eyebrows scrunched in a heartbreaking mix of anger and dissapointment, and while her tears and the slight frown of her trembling lips shattered his heart into pieces- he still chose to stand his ground.

What made her throw those words at him?

His heart started beating faster. Does Adreanne know? Does Adreanne know about him and-

"And shouldn't you ask me nicely first before accusing me like this?" Taemin stepped closer towards his wife and stared at her face before calmly wiping her fallen tears. He let his palms rest on her cheek, his thumb caressing her soft skin to calm her down. "Why would I let someone I barely know to enter our home? You know I don't go against what I say, Adreanne. We have lived here for years, have this happened before? No?"

Adreanne's head hung down, and her sobs got louder.

"I thought you were the one who invited her here, Adreanne. That was what I wanted to talk about to you."

Adreanne shook her head and peeled Taemin's palm off her face.

"I know-" She had to pause to let herself gain composure. Taemin watched as she shook her head and wiped her own tears. "Why do it feels like she's not just a person you 'barely know'?"

"What are you talking about, Adreanne? Please calm down!"

"Haven't I calmed down enough?" Adreanne cried. "Am I not calm enough when I don't say anything even when you pretend like I don't exist?" She yelled at him albeit the tremors in her voice, anger making her hands shake. "Tell me, is it her scent that you bring home some nights? Is it her makeup that I have to clean off your shirts? When you're not at the pub trying to avoid me and getting alcohol in your system, were you at her house? Tell me!"

"What the hell are you talking about, Adreanne?" Taemin groaned- he closed his eyes and bit down on his words to stop himself from yelling at his wife. Pouring diesel into her fire won't solve their problem, and it will just make them both even more frustrated.  He needed to stay logical, he told himself. Taemin didn't want to yell at her either. It took everything in him to not raise his voice and defend himself from her accusations. Every one of it was the truth, but Adreanne really didn't have to know that. She wasn't supposed to know those things. He wanted to fix everything before starting anew, and he thought that was doing great up to today- but Taemin should have foreseen this. He had calculated that Tiffany would someday pull a stunt similar to this, but unfortunately he underestimated the cunning woman. Who would've thought that Tiffany would act this early.

Taemin got his timing all screwed up now. Tiffany acted first before Taemin could go end his little thrill seeking endeavors with her. His plan has gone haywire, all because of Tiffany's little mischief. Had he acted sooner than his actual plan, he would be free from Tiffany and Adreanne didn't have to cry like this.

Taemin hates it when Adreanne cries. It makes him feel incompetent.

"" was the only thing that came across his mind, and he knew that wasn't an appropriate response. The word escaped his lips in a quiet huff, and he hoped Adreanne didn't hear it. It wasn't meant for her. He was just thinking of how frustrated he was at himself.

"That's why she bravely humiliated me in front of you, right? Because she knows firsthand how inadequate I am,"

Taemin wanted to yell at her to shut up because it's not the truth- what she was saying was far from the truth. There's nothing in this world that could amount to how good Adreanne is towards him. She's perfect for him, and he wanted to be with only her until his last breath. Tiffany's insults and backhanded compliments towards Adreanne angered him too, but Taemin was too busy trying to not lose to his own anger in front of them.

"And I feel so sick, Taem. I feel so sick because I am starting to think that I really am... like what she said just now. I am unable to take care of the person I love the most in this entire world."

"Yeobo," Taemin wanted to call her by her name, but he didn't want to taint her name with his tone. He wanted to sound kind, but it came out like he was tired instead. Her name was meant to only be called lovingly. "Why are we fighting like this because of a stranger? Let's stop this, please? I'll talk to the management about not letting people who are not in our visitor list inside and-"

"Taem...," Adreanne whined and sobbed, and it sounded so desperate that Taemin didn't even dare continue his words. "That's not even the issue anymore,"

Adreanne stepped forward and leaned her head in the middle of Taemin's chest.

"What if it's the truth, Taemin? You and her. What will that make me? A fool?" Adreanne asked. "Out of all people... Why does it have to be her, Taem?"

Taemin felt his own breath hitch. It felt like everything, everything that he tried controlling all these while will crumble if he exhaled and take another breath of air.

So Adreanne already knew.

Taemin was still at loss of what to say, or how to react to this revelation. He knew he was angry towards Tiffany, though. This was never something that he has calculated, so he didn't know how to react. He lifted his head up to avoid looking at the woman in front of him, and his eyes were met with a pair of wide eyes staring at him from the opened door of the kitchen.

"What the are you doing here?" Taemin didn't realize that he had screamed with his whole chest, and it shocked Adreanne. She stepped back, horrified at the angry look on Taemin's face, so she followed his line of sight.

Taehyung stared at both of them, and there was horror on the boy's face.

"ing leave or-" 

"Taem, no." Adreanne held Taemin's arm when he pointed for Taehyung to leave. She embraced him and led him further into the kitchen, probably fearing that the close distance between him and the kitchen door was going to motivate him to jump on Taehyung. He fought back the urge to hug her tighter when she lets go of him. "You sit down first, I'll join you in a second." She instructed as she wiped her face. Taemin wordlessly made his way back to the dining table, still very much seething in anger, when he noticed Tiffany's handbag on the table. It made him angrier.

"What's wrong, Taehyung? I thought you have just left to send Tiffany home?" She asked the boy gently, careful to not let her voice crack.

"She realized that she left her handbag when we were at the traffic light," Taehyung explained. Adreanne nodded, understanding which traffic light Taehyung was talking about. It wasn't far from where they lived, which explains why Taehyung was able to turn around so quickly. "I'm here for the handbag. I am sorry. Tiffany noona is safe in the car, I promise."

Taemin stepped towards them and handed Taehyung the handbag. Adreanne did not miss how Taehyung stepped back slightly when Taemin got near them.

"I'm sorry for screaming at you earlier." Taemin apologized, and Taehyung bowed at him wordlessly, probably still afraid of the side of Taemin he saw earlier. When he was about to turn around and leave, Adreanne told him to wait.

"Taehyung, wait. Do you have cash on you, Taem?" Was Adreanne's question. Taemin stared at her, his face still tinted red, his eyebrows still furrowed in annoyance, but curious at the sudden question. He slipped a hand into his pocket to fish out his wallet.

"Yeah." Was his short response, as he handed the wallet to his wife.

She saw a small list of the residency main gate's resident, worker and visitor code in Taemin's wallet- which Adreanne has printed and placed there just in case Taemin forgets, just beside a picture of her that was cut on the sides to fit the wallet. How could they all be so dumb?

Tiffany is smart, and she wins. She wins.

Adreanne took out a few of the bills, counted them, then placed it into Taehyung's palm.

"If you pass by a convenience store on your way home, please buy some banana milk. I forgot to restock Taemin's banana milk when I went grocery shopping today. Just buy whatever amount they have there, then the rest of the money, you keep, or buy whatever you want. Put the milk in the fridge at the guardhouse first, I'll go take them first thing in the morning tomorrow. That's all. Drive safely, alright?"

Taehyung nodded repeatedly. He bowed towards them, and Taemin said "please return safely", which Taehyung responded with another bow before he jogged away towards the front yard of the house.

Adreanne pulled the huge doors close, and now they are alone again, looking at each other.

Taemin's hand moved mindlessly, following his instinct to comfort her and wipe her falling tears. He couldn't think straight anymore, and he couldn't even bring himself to control his expression.

"You know what, Taem?" Adreanne wiped her face and pushed her voluminous hair back with a hand, before taking a deep breath. Taemin parted his lips to say sorry, or start begging- he wanted to say something, but he physically couldn't. Fear was starting to seep into his system, because her tone was a tone of finality. Like she was finally tired of his crap and tonight will be the night where he'll lose her.

He reached out a hand and and held hers. The coldness of her wedding ring stung his palm, reminding him the reason why he took the risk and responsibility of marrying her the day before he left for university.

He couldn't live without her. He wouldn't be able to bear the agony. Adreanne was the air he breathe. She still is. 

He didn't expect that Adreanne would hug him so tightly afterwards. "What was I even thinking," Was what she breathed out before standing on her tippy toes to kiss his cheek. "I am so sorry for yelling at you. I am so sorry. I didn't mean to go overboard." He held her hip, and she pressed a kiss on his lips. It took him less than a second to respond and relish on her taste. Feeling relief washing over his whole existence, he pulled her body closer towards his and leaned down to deepen their kiss. Their lips and tongues danced gently. It was rather emotional than for him, because he was trying to remember every inch of her intimate softness instead of letting his desires take over.

She pulled away first, and he continued to pepper little kisses on her head and neck when she hid her face on his chest. She didn't make any sound, but he could feel her tears wetting his shirt.

"I don't care about anything else anymore. I just want my Taemin back. Please."

 

 

-----

Hiiii I am posting this just for the sake of posting it, but I WILL COME BACK TO FIX THE FORMAT AND ALL I PROMISE. I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE ITTT AAAA I NEED TO SLEEP NOW BYEEE