07

Goodbye, Lee Taemin.

ADREANNE

 

Adreanne should have learned her lesson, but she didn't.

 

After just one or two days of Taemin behaving like the man he was before he started drinking and coming home late, she already thought that finally- finally things were going to fall into place again. It seemed that it would take a while before she could get her husband back, because it was already 10.30 pm, and she was still waiting for him at the dinner table.

 

He hadn't told her he would be home for dinner, but she assumed he would do that. He used to do that when he was in a great mood. They were doing fine these past two days. What happened to that?

 

She covered the food on the table with a food cover before pushing the huge folding door of the kitchen open. It would be nice to take a walk around the house, she thought, slipping her feet into Taemin's bigger slippers. Even if he wasn't beside her at the moment, at least something that belonged to him was with her. The rain has just stopped, and the scent of the earth is still fresh in the air. She loved it. So crisp and fresh, it made her want to cry when she felt the clean air fill her lungs. Maybe staying alive and breathing wasn't a bad thing at all.

 

Adreanne

Hi G.O. It's me, Adreanne. Sorry for bothering you out of your working hours. Did you guys have a long day at the office today? I am texting to inform you that I'll be sending some brownies to the lobby tomorrow to celebrate Taemin's 4th year as the CEO. Pass it around for people in the office for me, please. Tell me if you need other refreshments as well.

He doesn't know about it this time, so I'll text you once it's delivered tomorrow. Thank you for your hard work, please rest well.

 

Sitting on a low bench beside the koi pond in the backyard, she typed in a text message to Taemin's personal assistant. Sometimes it hurts her pride to think that in the few months that Taemin had refused to hold a proper conversation with him, she found out about him more from his personal assistant than from Taemin himself. She was his wife and best friend- someone who Taemin said knew him better than anyone else in the entire world. Her daily "How was everything today?" Or "Anything interesting happened today?" Or "Was everything good in the office? Want to share it with me?" Was met with a nonchalant reply from her husband. Sometimes he would talk more, but his stories wasn't as detailed as it used to be.

 

He’d tell her about some projects, and how he went out for a site visit- but that was it. Some days when he’s irritated he would even sigh softly before answering and when that happens, Adreanne wondered if she was starting to bore him with her usual questions. What was there to talk about anymore? Taemin barely reads nowadays, so they couldn’t have a deep discussion about the things he reads anymore. He wasn’t around much at home to play his video games and find her around the house just to tell her about the storyline of the game he just played. On his off days, he doesn’t bother her in her office anymore.

 

Taemin doesn't talk much the more he got into adulthood, sure. But he wasn't cold. They share deep, meaningful conversations every day. He was warm, and funny and chatty when he’s with the people he loves, and they would talk all night long about many, many things in the universe. He would rant about his work and she would just sit and listen- because she knew that was what Taemin needed the most.

 

Sometimes whenever she’s preparing dinner he would just be in the kitchen, watching random documentaries and rising the volume a bit too loud, so she could listen along and react to it as she cooked. Adreanne missed it when he would find her to tell her about his day even when she didn't ask.

 

She missed him so much. So, so much.

 

A reply from his assistant came in almost immediately.

 

G.O (Taemin's PA)

Hi, Mrs. Lee. It's okay, I'll even work 24 hours if it's for you! I hope you're doing well, I haven't heard from you for a while now.

We had a busy morning, but Mr. Lee settled his work early so he left before 5 pm today. I hope he's resting well at home, this week is hectic since we are starting a new project soon.

 

Ah, so he left his office early.

 

G.O (Taemin's PA)

For the brownies, of course! Just text or call me when it's delivered to the lobby. As usual, please address it under the CEO's office. I'll have someone go pick it up.

I’ll also buy other drinks and snacks on my way to the office tomorrow so don’t worry about that.

Thank you so much, Mrs. Lee. The CEO's office staff must be super happy, they wait for your amazing brownies thrice a year :D

 

His work anniversary, his birthday, and their wedding anniversary.

 

Nobody ever knew the occasion for the third brownie. Taemin just told them that it was a reward for them, due to their hard work.

 

Adreanne

I have wired the money for drinks and snacks. Don't hesitate to tell me if it’s not enough. Thank you so much for helping me with this every year, G.O. I really appreciate it. Good night, rest well. You did a good job today!

 

G.O (Taemin's PA)

Alright, Ma’am. Thank you too for always thinking of us when celebrating your important days. You too, please rest well Mrs. Lee.

 

Adreanne let out a huge sigh, suddenly unable to think straight at all. She placed her phone on the ground beside her feet and covered her face with her palm. Her shoulders shook as she tried to stifle her sobs, the waterworks she has been working so hard to not make an appearance since a few hours ago finally making their grand entrance.

 

“Mrs. Lee?” A sudden deep voice called out to her from a distance, before careful steps approached her. “Mrs. Lee, are you okay?”

 

Taehyung crouched in front of her, though still keeping a respectable distance between them. The teenager was tall, so the light coming from the kitchen was blocked by his body, the shadow of his silhouette casting over her. She took the chance to wipe her tears with the sleeves of her dress and in a deep breath before lifting her face up to look at him.

 

“Hi, Taehyung. You’re working again tonight? Where’s your father?” She asked, thankful that Taehyung didn’t look at her face when she started talking. He noticed her phone on the ground and took it, wiped it on his pants, and handed it to her.

 

“I came with dad because I was bored, and mom wanted some alone time,” Taehyung replied. “I’ve only been at home for two weeks and she’s tired of me already.” He laughed awkwardly, and she smiled at him. “Are you alright, Mrs. Lee? I saw the back door being opened through the CCTV and you looked upset, so I came to check.”

 

“I’m okay,” She assured him.

 

But then the overwhelming feelings washed over her again, causing her chest to constrict, before she feels dread in the pit of her stomach. The sobs that she held back threatened to escape her lips so badly.

 

Taehyung just sat there, watching her worriedly as she cried in silence.

 

“I am okay, Taehyung,” She laughed as she looked at him and rubbed his shoulder. “I am sorry to have worried you. Everything is fine!”

 

“Then why do you look so sad, Noona?” He pouted before realizing his mistake. “I mean- Mrs. Lee, I am so sorry I didn’t-”

 

Adreanne laughed. The boy was so adorable, he was like a deer in headlights when he realized his slip.

 

“You can call me Noona, don’t apologize.”

 

“But you’re the lady of the house, I cannot disrespect you.” Taehyung’s eyebrows furrowed worriedly. “I am lucky I didn’t misspeak in front of Mr. Lee. Phew.” He got back on his feet and sat on a big stone beside her, looking at the colorful fish in the pond.

 

“He won’t be angry, just call me whatever name you are comfortable with,” Adreanne said as she wiped the remnants of her tears from her face, and sat up straight to converse with the boy beside her. “He’s a kind person, you know? He’s just a little strict, that’s all. Has he ever scolded you? No, right?”

 

“I know he’s kind, Noona.” Taehyung stopped talking for a bit and tilted his head a bit to ask for her approval, so she smiled and nodded to encourage him to keep talking. “He paid for my tuition fee after all, and it’s not some cheap, government college either. My parents are paid well working here, and Mr. Lee even helped with my college fees… I can’t thank him enough. We used to be so poor before he found us,” Taehyung recounted his past, his eyes trailing a specific black koi in the pond. “When my father brought me to meet him for the first time a few months ago before my first day of college, I offered to work part-time here without any pay, every semester break, until I can pay back what he gave us. You won’t even believe how cool he was, Noona! He raised his pretty eyebrow and said-” Taehyung paused and cleared his throat. “I don’t condone free or cheap labor.” He imitated Taemin’s intonation, and that made her burst into laughter. “Why are you laughing? He’s super cool, Noona!”

 

Seems like Taemin has a fanboy now, she thought. She knew about Taemin funding their security guard’s son’s college tuition, but she has never met Taehyung until the day she saw him driving Taemin home that one night. Their housekeeper always speaks fondly of his cute son, and she was right. Taehyung really was an adorable person. It’s hard for Adreanne to keep being sad about him being around her.

 

“Anyway Noona, why were you crying?” Taehyung asked. “I am not sure if you realize it or not, but your eyes are crying even when you are laughing. It must be something heavy. You can tell me, Noona! I know I talk a lot but I promise I won’t tell a soul!”

 

Adreanne immediately wiped her face, before realizing that her tears has drenched the sweetheart neckline of the dress she was wearing. “Oh no, I cried too much tonight,”

 

“Are you telling me you cry often? Why Noona?” Taehyung’s thick brows furrowed worriedly, and he was staring intensely at her face now. She knew this boy wouldn’t go down without a fight, not until she finally gives him a reason why she was sobbing beside the pond.

 

“Well if you really want to know,” Adreanne sniffed and laughed. “Are you okay discussing periods, or are you a typical masculine man who gets uncomfortable about it?” She eyed him suspiciously.

 

“Of course, I am okay about it. My mom educated me about it before I started puberty.”

 

“Okay then, you’re a good boy with a great mom, so I will tell you. Well, Taehyung. I am on my period right now, so my mood is all over the place. That is why I was crying.” She wiped her cheeks and nose with her palm. “That’s all. Sometimes women can cry without any reason at all during this time of the month.”

 

Taehyung stared at her again.

 

“They do, I guess,” He shrugged. “But even unreasonable things gotta come from somewhere sometimes.” Taehyung glanced at her before he diverted his eyes to follow another fish this time. “I honestly have never seen someone look… so sad.”

 

Adreanne sighed. She didn’t want to look pathetic to anyone in the house, but she might’ve failed. Their driver and Taehyung know how Taemin comes home drunk often, Taehyung's mom who would come to help her clean the house once in a while also noticed that Taemin wasn’t frequently home anymore whenever she visits. She usually waits until Taemin comes back to greet him before she goes home, but now she doesn’t do that anymore. She instead hugs her a little too long nowadays, and she knew why. On her extra vulnerable days, she wished she could just break down in her comforting arms. She pitied her- she could see it in the woman’s eyes, and Adreanne didn’t want that. She didn’t want to throw a pity party over her own inability to make her husband happy.

 

“If you’re not comfortable talking to me,” Taehyung suddenly spoke when Adreanne didn’t comment on his statement. “I hope you’ll at least talk to Mr. Lee, Noona. Or any of your friends really, if he’s the problem- No, no, no,” Taehyung slapped his face lightly, Adreanne looking up in alert when she heard the sound. “I mean, if it’s something that even Mr. Lee cannot understand, I am sure you can confide in your friends. You are a great person, Noona. I am sure you’re surrounded by equally great people.”

 

Adreanne smiled and nodded. “They are great people,” Minho, Key, and Jonghyun came across her mind. “But there are things that I can’t just tell people, Taehyung. Not even to my own husband. It’s a hurdle that I need to go through by myself. Because it’s a me problem. I’m the problem.”

 

Taehyung nodded and pursued his lips, probably trying to be understanding. “That must be very lonely then, Noona.”

 

They sat there quietly as Adreanne started sobbing again, burying her face into her knees, her hand gripping the skirt of her dress like her life depended on it. Taehyung decided to just be there, observing how the koi fish swim around and jump when he threw them their food one by one, while listening to her soft, broken hiccups instead of saying anything to comfort her.

 

“It is, Taehyung. It’s really lonely here.”

 


 

After crying her heart out, Adreanne asked if Taehyung was hungry. The boy only smiled sheepishly, so Adreanne invited him inside to accompany her for her very late dinner- it was almost midnight when they finished setting the table. He helped her reheat all the dishes, and they ate while he told her about what he was learning in college. Taehyung was a passionate publishing major, and Adreanne offered to show him her novel manuscript sometime. The 18-year-old boy couldn’t contain his happiness when she said that, and she could only smile at his excitement.

 

She was a very happy kid too when she was 18. Loving parents, amazing childhood friends that turned into family, great academic life, and she had a dashingly handsome, kind boyfriend who would do anything for her.

 

She missed her ex-boyfriend so much. She still wonder if he was going to come home that night.

 

“You’re such a great cook, Noona! Have anyone ever told you that?” Taehyung complimented enthusiastically before they heard the sound of the front door being shut close. Both of them halted and looked towards the entrance of the kitchen.

 

“Oh, it must be Taemin,” She whispered and went to the sink to wash her face with water, then patting her skin dry with a paper towel. The kitchen and front door was far, but the echoes can be heard through the quiet house. Taemin was home. All color from Taehyung’s face started draining.

 

“Noona, I have to go. Mr. Lee might not-” The boy stood up to leave, but Adreanne placed a hand on his shoulder and gently pushed him down to sit again before she made her way to the opened folded door in the kitchen. She has to close it. Taemin disliked bugs. There might be none in sight now, but considering that the rain has just stopped, some might come to seek refuge in their kitchen due to all the lights being opened there.

 

“Nope, I am not letting you go until you finish your food. Stay there and eat, you have just started eating!” She nagged. “He won’t be angry, I promise you. Just eat.” She comforted him and added more tofu to his bowl. “You like this, right? Have more.”

 

“Noona, I’m scared I swear,” Taehyung chuckled nervously, his hand that was holding a spoon was now placed on his left chest.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m here! Just eat, and greet him properly if he enters the kitchen.”

 

And as if he could listen to whatever the pair has been whispering about, the devil himself entered the kitchen, his blazer, and bag in his hand- sleeves of his gray dress shirt folded up high, showing the tattoo on his forearm.

 

“Yeobo-,” Taemin called from the arched kitchen entrance, stopping for a second before entering the space slowly when he spotted a nervous Taehyung on his seat at the dinner table. Taehyung stood up to bow to him, then sat down again to eat after Taemin nodded at him, his eyes never leaving the terrified boy. This time, Taehyung ate slowly and politely instead of inhaling his food.

 

“Taemin-ssi,” Adreanne smiled in her husband’s direction, holding herself back from scanning his whole body to see what was different, to find traces of his other woman on him and further break her own heart. She grabbed another bowl and filled it with some rice, and set his utensils down on the table before approaching him. She then took the things he was holding and set them on the kitchen counter before ushering him to the kitchen table, tugging at him playfully by the arm before pulling out his chair for him.

 

“I made your favorite chicken soup today. It’s still warm. I know you’ve had your dinner outside, but eat a little, please?” She said gently, desperately hoping that he won’t refuse her in front of Taehyung. Taemin nodded and glanced at Taehyung who has taken his designated seat on the table, which was across from hers. While refilling the water jug with some ice, Adreanne couldn’t help but smile at Taehyung who looked like he was ready to run away any moment.

 

“How’re your studies?” Taemin had asked while he placed some kimchi into his bowl, just when Adreanne arrived at the dinner table with his cold water. Taemin liked cold water. He then would bite on the ice pieces because he loved how crunchy and crisp it sounds.

 

“Taehyung?” Adreanne called softly, and the boy’s head snapped up to look at both her and Taemin almost immediately.

 

“Yes, Noona?” Taehyung asked, eyes wide in focus. Adreanne smiled and placed a piece of grilled chicken in his bowl. Adreanne saw how Taemin glanced at her when he heard Taehyung call her ‘Noona’. She paid no heed to it.

 

“Taemin-ssi asked you a question just now.”

 

Taehyung looked at Taemin nervously. “I am sorry I didn’t hear you the first time, Mr. Lee. What was it?”

 

Taemin cleared his throat and took a sip of his water. “Your studies. Is it going great?” He asked, then eating the chicken meat from his soup.

 

“My first semester has been nothing but amazing. I did well in my tests and my final results will come out in about two months. I learned a lot of new knowledge and got to pursue my passion thanks to you, Sir.” Taehyung answered earnestly before lowering his head slightly to show respect to Taemin.

 

Taemin smiled slightly and nodded a few times. “Great. Keep up the great work.”

 

Adreanne smiled at the two when both men kept staring into their bowls as they eat instead of holding a proper conversation.

 

“Noona, I-”

“Adreanne.”

 

Taehyung and Taemin looked at each other, the younger immediately restored to staring inside his empty bowl again.

 

“Take your turns, gentlemen.” She commented, pouring more water into Taehyung's glass. Taehyung scratched at his head shyly.

 

“You first, Sir.” The youngest in the room said timidly, and it made Adreanne smile. Adreanne turned her body slightly to focus on Taemin.

 

“Yes, yeobo?”

 

“Do we have more soup?” Taemin asked. Adreanne’s eyes widened and she replied with a cheery “Yes” before she went to the stove with Taemin’s empty bowl. There were only carrots left in his bowl, which she has expected.

 

When Adreanne came back, Taehyung informed her that he has finished his dinner and needed to take his leave. He offered to wash his dishes, but Adreanne insisted that he leave them in the sink before seeing him off at the back door with a container of warm chicken soup for his father, and an unopened tub of strawberry cheesecake ice cream for his dessert.

 

Adreanne sat beside Taemin again, watching the man finish the last remnants of his rice and soup. She asked if he wanted more, but he shook his head and ate his dessert instead, a lychee and mango pudding she has made out of boredom that morning. She cleared the table, which he wanted to help out with, but was met with a refusal from her. She expected Taemin to eat quickly and leave the kitchen, so she took her own sweet time washing every plate and bowl meticulously and waited for it to happen. She didn’t want to sit down at the table again with him. There was nothing for her to say to him that night anymore. She suddenly felt like it was immensely tiring to have to put on a smile in front of him all the time.

 

Although she was sure that the turbulence of emotions she had was caused by her being on the time of the month, she couldn’t fight it. Now that they were alone, she felt the heavy atmosphere weighing down her shoulders again. She was horribly upset, and she knew Taemin felt that. They have always been good at detecting each other’s moods, but Adreanne didn’t feel like trying to make the situation better at all.

 

For once, she wanted to brood and stay quiet like what he has always done to her. No matter how much she tried, no matter how brightly she smiled, Taemin wouldn’t smile along. The two-day honeymoon phase they had yesterday was over in the blink of an eye. She was already too tired to fix it or ask herself why all over again. It has always been her and her alone.

 

Adreanne gripped the sink as she tried to not let all the negative thinking that she was doing as she wiped down the plates overwhelm her. Lately, she dreaded getting her menstruation. She knew that it made her mood haywire, and honestly all she wanted to do was just lay in bed all day and not do anything. It made her feel exhausted, everything seemed to drain her energy faster. One time she’s herself- smiling and excited that her husband was enjoying the chicken soup that she made, and a few minutes later she felt so upset that she didn’t even want to look at the man sitting at the dining table. Everything that hurts seems to rush back all at once.

 

They both stayed quiet in the kitchen, the clangs of plates and glasses the only sounds penetrating the air. Just when she ran out of things to scrub, wash and wipe down, Taemin placed the saucer and teaspoon that he used to eat his pudding into the sink. He stood close to her and watched her busy hands as if he was in a trance. When she pressed the cherry blossom-scented handwash onto her palm, Taemin wrapped an arm around her waist, and closed the very little space that separated his chest and her back, before reaching forward to hold both of her hands in his.

 

He lathered their hands together, rubbing every one of her fingers with the bubbles. He ran both of their hands under the running water to get rid of the suds. Instead of thinking of anything and everything all at once, Adreanne decided to think about the suds that made their way into the drain. When they were done, he grabbed a hand towel and dried her hand before drying his own. She couldn’t leave even if she wanted to, with him being so close behind her, encapsulating her in an embrace.

 

Then he intertwined their fingers and hugged her.

 

“He called you Noona? Has he always called you that way?” Taemin asked, voice low, almost inaudible.

 

Adreanne shook her head and tilted her head aside slightly.

 

There it was, the thing she has been dreading to see. There was a blusher stain on his sleeves. It was faint, but she could see it.

 

She knew it all too well, and that was what felt like a stab in her chest. That woman was around that height, and she has a habit of hugging people’s arms close to her body. Then she would lean her cheek onto it as she blinds everyone with her bright smile.

 

Sometimes she wondered if Taemin really was oblivious, or if he was dumb. She felt like at this point, he wasn’t even trying to be cautious around her anymore.

 

“Why was he inside?” Another question. Adreanne really didn’t feel like answering.

 

“You don’t like it?”

 

He exhaled a soft breath. “Not particularly. Depends on why he was inside.”

 

“It shouldn’t be a problem then.” She said as she tried to untangle their fingers. Taemin held on to her tighter.

 

“I trust the kid, but he might end up liking you too someday.”

 

Who would like me? She thought. Even you don’t like me anymore.

 

Adreanne closed her eyes and opened them again in exasperation. “He’s a literal child, yeobo. Don’t say things like that.” Adreanne reasoned with a whine, not appreciating how Taemin was getting jealous and dragging an innocent, adorable kid into his never-ending possessiveness over her. This happened even before they started dating. It made her feel protected, appreciated, and loved when it was displayed in reasonable circumstances, yes; but in this situation? She wanted to so badly call Taemin out on his hypocrisy. He had another woman’s makeup stain on his shirt and he dare question her about the child who has done her a huge favor by accompanying her when she was upset.

 

“I know. But he’s still a guy.” Taemin replied, pressing a kiss onto the top of her head- probably just out of habit, she mused. He might do the same to the other woman too. “Don’t make me ask the same question again please, Adreanne?”

 

She loosened her hold on his fingers, so he took the chance to embrace her tighter. “He saw me sitting at the pond and we talked. I was hungry, but there was too much food even for the fridge so I asked him to eat dinner with me. We talked about his college subjects.”

 

“That was your dinner?” Taemin looked down at her and was probably hoping that she would look up at him. “That’s very late. It was midnight when I arrived, wasn’t it?”

 

“Yeah,” She mumbled. “I was waiting for you,” She blurted out defeatedly, eyes starting to water, hoping that she didn’t come across as a sulky little girl. That would probably make him dislike her more.

 


 

Another chapter will be up in a few hours <3

Thank you for reading and please leave your comments hehe. Have a nice day!