Listen to my voice

MATO CITY

demon by heartyspades © Deviantart

When Youngjae opened his eyes, the last thing he remembered was when he had been watching Daehyun walking away. The young peasant boy was leaning on the ground, he sat up watching around him. Everything was white, the ground and the sky were white. He couldn't even depict if he was in a room or in the outside. Was there walls and ceiling around him ? Where was the limit between the ground and the sky ? There was only one thing he was sure about, everything was white and there was nothing else. " Where am I ? " He screamed and waited, but no answer came to him. Everything just stayed white and silent. " Why is everything white ? " Even if his legs were shaking, he managed to stand up in the silence around him. " Is there someone here ? " Turning his head to right and to the left, his body shivering, Youngjae started to panic. He was alone in that unknown place and it was just euphemism than to say he was beyond scared. " HELP !! SOMEONE !! HELP ME !! "

" Youngjae " The peasant boy stopped screaming and listened still watching around him. Had he just dreamed ? He turned round on himself again and again, but he was still alone, yet he was sure he had heard a voice calling his name. Or it was more like he wanted to believe in. " Youngjae " the voice called his name again, he was behind him and Youngjae turned to where the voice had been coming from, but no one was here.

" Daehyun ? " he asked, he had recognized the voice so .. maybe he was hiding somewhere.

" Youngjae ? You hear me ?

– YES ! I HEAR YOU !! " Youngjae screamed again, but this time it wasn't a scared one, it was a scream of happiness. He wasn't alone anymore and he knew he could rely on his blonde friend, the priest boy would get him out of troubles. " DAEHYUN !! WHERE ARE YOU ?! " He kept turning on himself with the hope that at a time his friend would appear in front him, but still nothing.

" Youngjae, keep calm and listen to me.

– How do you want me to KEEP calm ? I AM NOT CALM !!

– Everything's gonna be alright, you just have to listen to my voice.

– I'm doing this !! It's not really like I have something else to do ...

– You have to listen to my voice Youngjae ..

– Daehyun ... " Youngjae started to cry as he believed the voice he was hearing was just the fruit of his imagination and that he was indeed alone for real.

" Youngjae .. listen to my voice and follow it.

– What ?

– Walk in the direction from where my voice is coming.

– It comes from everywhere .. like an echo ..

– Listen carefully Youngjae ..

– I ...

– Youngjae, listen to my voice caref-

– I'M ONLY DOING THAT !! DAMN IT !!

– Youngjae ... " Daehyun's voice sighed and Youngjae started to panic - well more than he already was - he fall on his knees and grabbed his head in his fists, scared that his friend would have enough of him and would simply drop him.

" Daehyun ...

– Youngjae.

– Save me ... " At that moment Youngjae was being hit at the back of his head by someone. " AOUCH !! IT HURTS !!

– GOSH !! YOO YOUNG JAE !! YOU ! ARE ! SO !!! .. STUBBORN !! " Youngjae turned round and this time something was disturbing the white place, a black shape of smoke was facing him. He felt scared as the form wasn't really .. something that looked friendly.

" D-Daehyun ? " He asked with a weak voice but the shape didn't answered. " Daehyun .. is that you ? " He stood up slowly and forgot his fear to approach the black shape, he reached out a hand toward it to touch it but the shape avoid him by flying backward just enough for him not to touch it. " DAEHYUN ANSWER ME ! " The peasant boy started to run after the shape who kept enough distance between them, Youngjae runned faster but the shape was faster. First he could barely touch it, but now the distance between them kept increasing, Youngjae wasn't fast enough. " DAEHYUN !! DON'T ABANDON ME !! DON'T LET ME ALONE !! " suddenly the shape stopped but Youngjae didn't had the time to stop so he ran into the black shape, falling into it and even after he kept falling into a dark abyss.

Youngjae fall on something hard, he winced and roll on the ground, as if it would help the pain in his back to go away. " Oh .. he's awake finally .. " the peasant boy heard a voice and some steps walking away. Rolling on his back, he opened his eyes and this time everything was dark, not completely black like the other place had been completely white, he could distinguish the shapes of the walls and of a bed. He must have fallen from it, he tried to move his hand to rub his head as a big headache just hit him, but he couldn't move it, nor his legs. So he moved the only thing he could, his eyes.

Watching around he saw that he was in a dark small cell and in front his, there was another cell, empty. At least, nothing was moving inside so he guessed it was. His eyes finally landed on the corner of his cell, there was sitting Daehyun. The blonde boy was watching him but he did nothing to help Youngjae to stand up or at least to sit up. Instead the priest boy put a finger on his lips when Youngjae tried to call his name. The peasant boy wondered if the other was an hallucination, after all he just hit his head quite hard on the floor. Youngjae rose an eyebrow at his friend who simply smiled to him as they heard steps coming nearer. " He just woke up ... first we thought he was dead, but he was still breathing so we brought him here after the battle in the mountain..

– .. and he just woke up after being here for a year ?

– Yes. " The steps stopped in front his cell and if it hadn't been for the voices, with only the sounds of the steps walking, Youngjae would have guess they were more than one, but he was too weak to move his head to check how many his visitors were, instead Youngjae kept his eyes on Daehyun.

" It's not that boy !

– But he was the one they were all protecting !

– The one I want doesn't need to be protected, you silly ! Why would I want someone that weak ?

– What do we do with him then ?

– Cut his head and send it as a present to the resistant..

– .. there was an angel in their team .. is that one you're after ?

– No. The boy I want is a bit more than a simple angel.. " The voices were fading, probably his visitors were already walking away. Youngjae watched his hallucination, he was sure of it now. The voices hadn't said a word about him, which meant he wasn't here.

" You can open your eyes now. "

Youngjae opened his eyes and he was now lying on a bed more comfortable than the one he was sleeping on in his small cell. He saw Daehyun sitting on his bed and smiling to him. The peasant boy wanted to smile back to his friend but he suddenly felt scared of him. " Daehyun ?

– Yes ?

– Am I dreaming ?

– Yes.

– So .. what is the reality ? Is that cell the reality ? " Youngjae sat up, his eyes never leaving Daehyun's ones who suddenly became really sad. Why was the other sad, now they were reunited he should be happy .. " Was I .. dead ? " Daehyun nodded and Youngjae grabbed his hurtful head in his hands. If he was dreaming why was it hurting him so badly ?

" It's because it hurts you in the reality ..

– They said .. it's been a year .. so I'm in that jail since a year ?

– Yes.

– Why did I saw you in front of me ?

– Because we're connected.

– Why didn't you came save me ? Get me out of that jail ?

– Because .. it's not really me at the moment. I'm just .. a sort of .. " Daehyun scratched the back of his head, wondering how to explain it so it wouldn't be too complicated for the other to understand. " I'm not really Daehyun. I'm just a sort of ghost he let in your mind so I would explain you certain things when you would be ready to hear it. I'm here in case you wouldn't be with Daehyun when the time come.. Do you understand ?

– I think I do .. Was our pact .. something magic ?

– I'm a magic creature Youngjae .. so yes, it was a magic one in a certain way ..

– What did you do to me ?

– Wh.. nothing.

– Liar ! All this started to happen to me after you did your pact !

– Not really ..

– Wh-

– Youngjae ! Let me explain first and you ask all the questions you want after. " Daehyun had put his hands over Youngjae's mouth and removed it only after the peasant boy did agreed by nodding. The priest boy took a deep breath before he started talking again. " You were meant to die Youngjae. It had been settled since the start. You should be the one to lead magic creatures to their freedom. You have always been really open to magic, that much that it scared you at first, without you being aware of why you were so much afraid of it. Deep inside you, you must had felt that you had an impact on magic creatures. We are just .. attracted to you. Like insects are to the light.

– I'm no light-

– Let me talk. " Daehyun glared to Youngjae who pinched his lips tight, nodding. " You're our god Youngjae. For the humans you may be nothing, but you're ours, our hero. Only a few of us knew your fate and I was part of that minority with Junhong and Jongup. Others had some doubts but they were ready to give their life in exchange of yours, yet it couldn't change anything. You were the one to be meant to die. " Youngjae gulped, he started to understand what that ghost of his friend meant about being ready to hear what he had to say. Of course, Youngjae would have completely panic if he did heard his own best friend saying things like that, before he actually 'died'.

" I was running away from that witch. It wasn't that I couldn't kill her, just I didn't want to. My father asked me to never kill someone. He made me meet a mage who told me that it existed a place where was living a human that pure, and that that human would help me to figure out what I really wanted to do, on which side I wanted to be.. I had hard time to believe in .. until I met you.

– All this is bull.. "

Daehyun got worked up and stood up suddenly from the bed, his eyes got completely dark and each one of his teeth turned into fangs. " DON'T SAY WHAT WE BELIEVE IN IS BULL !!

– O-okay .. I .. I won't .. " Youngjae babbled scared of the monster that was standing in front of him, even if he was in a dream he had some doubts about the fact the other couldn't hurt him and he didn't really want to test if he could. Daehyun calmed down and sat back on the bed, his face got back to its normal state, except that it wasn't what Youngjae was used to see. That Daehyun looked so sad ...

" I was so happy to meet you. You were so nice and so open to magic. I got submerged by all your emotions that were emanating from you.

– You .. could .. can read my mind too ? "

Daehyun nodded, " when you got interested in me, I was really surprised that you even looked at someone as bad as me ! Of course you didn't knew I was bad, nor that I was a magic creature. You just followed your instinct. After I took the punishment from you I wanted to kill all those people that were watching. They knew I was innocent yet they let me be punished. Junhong enclosed me in that tower, telling me to think about it, of course people protected you. But back in time I wasn't really on your side, not as much as I am now. I wasn't, until you came search me in my tower ...

– So ...  you weren't weak or ..

– It was for people's safety that I was hiding, also I didn't want anyone to see my bad side, that you almost discovered when you entered the room I was staying in.. now you understand why I took the punishment for you ? For nothing on earth I would have let something like that to happen. " Youngjae simply nodded, not knowing what to answer. He was really touched by what his friend was saying and he was scared he would mess everything by talking so he simply stayed silent. " Then you came to me .. Yoo Young Jae. The Yoo Youngjae came search me in my tower .. that's when I decided I wouldn't let you die. I was aware it would change the History but I just couldn't let you die .. "

There was a slight silence before Daehyun talked again, " Junhong scolded me for doing such a thing, but I didn't care ..

– Junhong wanted me dead ?

– Junhong is a mage and he wanted things to happen like he had been told things would happen.

– What about Jongup ?

– Jongup is Himchan's angel .. he only cares about his own human.

– And Yongguk ?

– Yongguk is taking care of Junhong, it's hard what he did and he needed someone to support him. That's what Yongguk choose. He knew I was taking care of you so he decided to take Junhong's defense for once. So he wouldn't be alone anymore, and let's remember that he saved his sister's life.

– How is everyone Daehyun ?

– I don't know .. remember ? I'm not Daehyun .. What I know is that I am on your side Youngjae, which ever side you'll take in the future, I'll be on the same as yours.

– Daehyun .. come get me out of that jail ..

– I don't know where you are Youngjae .. I believe you're dead ..

– But .. I'm not dead Daehyun ..

– Everybody believes you're dead Youngjae ..

– That's why you look so sad .. " The peasant boy raised a hand to caress his friend's cheek who simply nodded as an answer. " Please .. hear me .. I am not dead Daehyun ..

– Then .. you, come get me. " Daehyun was approaching his face to Youngjae's more and more, their lips were only a few inches apart and they were about to kiss.

 

Youngjae woke up sweating. Opening his eyes, he saw a blonde person leaning above him and the stranger smiled to him. " Good morning sleeping beauty. " and the stranger pecked his lips before moving away from his bed. Youngjae sat up, shocked, did that boy just kissed him ? " You look horrible .. well .. I guess it suit you for someone people call The Shadow. " A black haired boy said and he leaned toward the peasant boy to steal him a kiss him too. What was wrong with those people ? And why were they talking to him as if he knew him ? Why did he just called him ? The Shadow ? Youngjae wasn't the Shadow .. they were enemy so how could Youngjae be his own enemy ? " Get ready quickly. " The blonde boy answered and the two left the room, letting Youngjae alone with his thoughts and wonders. At least he thought he was alone but another voice tore him from his thoughts.

" Are you okay Master ? "

Youngjae turned his head to a girl who was kneeling next the king sized bed he was leaning in.

" Who are you ?

– M..master ? did you got this dream again ? You always lose your memory after doing that villain dream .. " The girl's eyes started to get all wet.

" Why do you call me master ?

–  B-because you're my master .. please remember me .. " the girl was now crying and Youngjae took his head in his hands. He didn't understand anything about what was going on. Shouldn't he wake up in a cell at the moment ?

2974 words