The Prince

MATO CITY

“I think it's time for truth to be told...” Junhong let a silence, according the others a time to wonder what he was talking about, before he ended his sentence. “...your Majesty.” And Junhong put a knee on the floor to bow at the boy. But what boy ? Himchan started to approach the mage but Yongguk grabbed his arm to stop him.

“What are you talking about ?!”

Junhong didn't answered Yongguk's question, and kept looking at the floor.

“...Guk...”

Yongguk turned to his best friend who released himself from his hold and walked to Junhong. He stopped in front him and Junhong stood up to put the dressing gown on his shoulders, then he helped Himchan to slid his arms in. Blushing, Himchan turned to the group who watched him stunned. They waited in an oppressive silence, Himchan blushing more and more as and as the minutes scrolled. He grabbed his left arm in his right hand and waited awkwardly.

When they realized what was going on, they all put a knee on the floor and bowed to the Prince.

“Ahem...rise up ?” They watched up without raising so far.

“Him-...your Majesty ? How-

Ah! Don't call me like this Guk...it's...weird.” They all watched each others and the situation got weirder and weirder. Himchan wanted to jump to the moment they will all laugh about it. And it was even weirder for Yongguk, who didn't know what to think and how to feel about it. Himchan had been his best friend for ten years, so of course they were the nearest, best friends could be, but in the other hand. Himchan was the Prince and Yongguk felt so insignificant to him, and even less than it. He was nothing to the Royal standing in front him. Just a people among so many others.

Slowly they stood up, and as always, Jongup was the first to recover from the shock. “Why you never told us ?

What for ?” When he talked Himchan's voice sounded like the Royal he was, thing the boys weren't used to. So it took Jongup a little time to regain from this mini-shock.

“...I don't know...it's...something quite important, don't you think ?” Jongup didn't care if he was talking to a Royal, he talked to the girl-boy the same way he always did. Because, Royal Prince or not, that it had been a role he gave himself or not, Himchan was a whimpering boy to him.

“Not really.” The Prince shrugged.

“Oh...okay.”

Without a second thought, Jongup did what he was dying to do since he entered the room. He run to the big bed and jumped on it, letting himself fall back on it, and drown in the big thick comfortable and squashy sheets. “Ahh! You bastard ! You did sleep in a bed like this and you complained always you slept as badly as us !! Eh Jae ! Come test it !! You'll never see another bed like this in all your ty and pitiful life ! Ha Ha !” They all watched Jongup a twinkle in their eyes, the bed really looked comfortable, and more since they saw how the guard boy had sank in. Youngjae watched Himchan asking for his permission -thing Jongup hadn't did- and the Prince nodded to him, smiling softly. Youngjae went slower than Jongup and took all his time to lean on the bed, enjoying it when his body sank in, inch by inch. He was followed by Daehyun who made all of them, roll from one side to another.

While this time, Himchan had approached Yongguk who was watching the kids having fun. “Follow me.” Yongguk was pulled out of his thoughts by the low voice and he watched the Prince back walking toward the balcony. He watched him a bit before starting to follow him. They stood on the balcony, leaning on the guardrail. They didn't exchanged not even a look since Himchan had revealed his true identity. They admired the landscape in front of them in silence. The view was really beautiful, with the light of the Moon they could discern the fields, and the city was really splendid with all the houses lighten. People couldn't sleep. Yongguk's admiration of the City was interrupted by his friend's complainant.

“Don't stay silent, say something...it makes me feel really...uncomfortable...

...and so do I...” Yongguk answered in a sigh, still without a look toward Himchan who, he knew, was watching him. But he just couldn't watch him back. He couldn't watch the Prince in his eyes. He didn't have the right to. It was already hard for him to stand next him. But yet...he was his best friend...

“I'm sorry...I told you nothing...

...I understand now why sometimes you weren't there. It wasn't because they had needed the Doctor to help the Royals' one...but they had needed you...

...yes...

and...what about the mage ?

Junhong...

What ?

His name is Junhong.

...and for Junhong ?

...we knew about his powers but he never wanted to use it...

Because of me ?

...yes...but since the witches' attack he realized what we risked if he didn't use it to protect the city. Since, we try our best to help him to develop his powers but...it's not easy...

So you came in the city to keep an eye on him ?

Not...we do have spies for that...

Then...why did you came in the city when you have everything everyone dream to have, here ?

The first time I just wanted to watch how was the city I would govern one day...then...we met...”

Yongguk stayed silent, he felt a bit proud that he had grabbed the Prince's attention...

“I felt lonely here and we had so much fun, I wanted to go back one time again, and a second time, and a third...” Himchan's voice died and he started to panic. Yongguk didn't seemed to be moved by his speech, and he was afraid his best friend would never forgive him. Wasn't he the Prince he dreamed about ? And his best friend ? Wouldn't he be all excited like a kid ? As each time he came to tell him his dreams...Why was he acting so coldly right now ?

“...the Doctor is a spy ?

yes...

There is others ?

Some...like the bartender-

I mean magic creatures...in the city.” Yongguk cut short Himchan's explanation, his voice was cold as when he used to talk to the mage. Yongguk had never acted coldly toward him, and always complied to his whims without complaining even one time. The Prince gulped hardly, his throat to tight to talk ; a silence settled between the two until Yongguk finally decided to turn his face to him.

“Your Majes-” Yongguk stopped himself when he saw the killer look Himchan was sending him through his teary eyes. “...Himchan. You can tell me.”

This time it was Himchan's turn to watch the landscape while Yongguk looked at him. He had hard time to support the cold voice and cold behavior of his best friend toward him, he didn't want to have to support the cold and empty look too.

“Yes.

Who ?

I can't tell you. They asked for anonymity.

Is there people that I know ?” As Himchan didn't wanted to answer, Yongguk precised his question . He had the right to know. “Is Youngjae one of them ?

Not.” Himchan was quick to answer, a bit too quick for Yongguk's taste. “...I don't think so...he wasn't...no. He's not! He's perfectly normal...well, he was...until...He said he could talk with the creature so I'm not sure about it anymore.” Himchan turned round to watch the kids who were still rolling themselves on the big bed. Playing the three of them. It was now Youngjae's turn to be wrapped in the big sheets and to be unrolled. Junhong was watching them, sitting on the sofa in front the bed. After watching them a moment, he turned back to Yongguk who hadn't been watching the kids, but glaring at him.

“What ?” Himchan asked in a chuckle, trying to smooth the heavy atmosphere, but he only earned a frown from the other. “what ?” He asked, his voice starting to be all shaky.

“I considered you as my best friend.”

That was the sentence Himchan hadn't wanted to hear, and which had given him many nightmares his whole childhood. His heart sank and he felt like breaking into pieces. “I..you are my best friend Yongguk.

Do you even know what having a simple friend means ?” Himchan didn't know what to answer. The words Yongguk pronounced were like sharp knives, ripping what rested of his heart into more little pieces, until it became mashed.

“I...

Friends have faith and believe in each others. Best friends don't hide anything to the other. I thought you knew this.

Yongguk.” Himchan tried to restrain Yongguk, but he was already leaving the balcony to enter back in the room. He went next the bed, Himchan following him, crying.

When they heard the Prince crying, the guards who were guarding his room entrance, burst into it and aimed their weapons at all the boys, not knowing which one had dared to make the Prince cry. That one deserved to be beheaded. “What did you dare to do to our Majesty ? He's nice enough to welcome you here and this is how you treat him ?!”

Himchan still crying hard couldn't order them to stop and no one had enough authority to have the right to order the guards to lower their weapons. Not even Junhong who stood up to come near Himchan, he put a hand on his shoulder to shake him a little, for him to come to his senses. Yongguk felt jealous, the same feeling he had had when he had watched them together in the street. But now, it was a bit worst. The mage was with the Prince but also with his best friend. The two persons the most important for him, who in reality had been only one and same person. Himchan managed to calm down enough to tell his guards everything was alright and that they could left.

“It's so mean what you told me Guk...” Himchan let out between two sobs, after the guards left.

“Himchan...” Yongguk usually felt embarrassed when his best friend was acting this way, but now he didn't know how to handle it, because it felt just so weird to have the Prince of Mato City to cry after him like that.

Daehyun stood out the bed, and put a knee on the ground to bow at Himchan. “We apologize instead of Yongguk, Himchan...

What ?” Yongguk watched him amazed, he didn't understand what he was apologizing for. It wasn't like Yongguk could break any relation with Himchan. But thinking about it, it may seemed a bit like that, he was just a bit annoyed and frustrated, that's why he would continue to scare Himchan a bit more. He needed to learn his lesson, for not trusting his own best friend.

“I can understand why Himchan hide it to us, he didn't want us to act differently with him.” Youngjae explained, still not moving away from the bed, afraid he wouldn't be able to return on it after. Of course Yongguk understood it too, but that didn't help him to calm down. He needed more.

“I would never, I still think he's acting too girlish...and a Prince acting this way...huh...I'm not proud of our Prince anymore...” the harsh words of the younger made Himchan cry harder. Why everything was turning so badly ? It shouldn't had happen like this ! They should have been amazed and respected him a bit more. Junhong, still next him, rubbed his back to support him the best he could. There was a silence during which only Himchan's cries could be heard.

“Can't you forgive him ?” Daehyun asked standing up.

“It wasn't like it was a small lie! And it latest ten years !! Ten ing years Chan !

I'm sorry...” Yongguk felt dizzy seeing the Prince apologizing to him crying like there weren't tomorrow. He wouldn't last long at this rate.

“But isn't he the Prince you dreamed to meet ? You were dying to see him and you don't even feel a bit blessed that you spent ten years by his sides ? And that he's your best friend ?” Himchan felt thankful to the blonde boy. That was what he wanted to ask Yongguk, but couldn't. It would have sounded too uppish if he did, and he didn't want to lower more than he had fallen already in Yongguk's esteem. Himchan glanced to Yongguk, and it reassured him a bit seeing him blushing, and not a little. It was a natural pout of him, and Yongguk felt even more embarrassed when the Prince opened his arms wide open forcing another pout on his face. He watched him walking to him like this, and Yongguk wanted to run away ; but he stayed and he let the other hug him.

He chosen the right time then to remember each and one of the times he told him his dreams about the Prince, in every details. Even the more *** dream... He felt himself blushing more and his heart beat racing like a crazy. His heart beaten even faster than it when Himchan pressed his ear more on his chest. The Prince felt good to know he was still engendering that sort of feeling for the other. Yongguk was watching the ceiling, trying to calm his crazy mind.

“...I'm sorry Channie. You forgive me ?” Himchan nodded and tighten his grip on his best friend, too happy they had make peace. Slowly, Yongguk answered Himchan's hug and when he did so, he glared to the young mage who was watching them. Junhong blushed when he met the elder's cold and deadly eyes, he watched to the ground ashamed. Without reading in his mind, he understood him well. The message couldn't be more clear : he hadn't the right to touch the kids. But to touch his best friend or/and his Prince was forbidden, or he would make him taste the capital punishment.

Then without really breaking their hug, Himchan turned to the peasant boy, Yongguk's arms being around his neck, the older plunged his chin in the shorter man's crook of his neck. “Youngjae...” the peasant boy watched up to the weird couple in front of him. They always been touchy, but not as much as right now. “...was it all the creature told you ?” Suddenly, Youngjae's fear was back as he realized it wasn't his friend who was talking, but the Prince.

“Ye-Yes! … your Majesty!

Oh no, Youngjae not you...

I'm sorry your M-...sorry.” Youngjae watched his hands which had started to shake, even if he was grabbing his knees.

“How can you explain you understood the creature ? I know Junhong lied to my father for you, but you don't have anything to be afraid from me Youngjae...

It was the true...it's tr-” Youngjae nodded shyly, and his voice went out so weak.

“Youngjae. It's impossible for a mere human to communicate with magic creatures this way.

I...I don't know...” he started shaking that much, he didn't even tried to hide it, “the creature had been surprised too that I could...

Surprised ?

He asked me if I could understand what he was saying so I answered that yes. Then he...” Youngjae's voice died and he couldn't continue. That's when Himchan broke his hug with Yongguk and came knelled in front of him. He took the peasant boy's hands in his owns. Youngjae was that scared, his hands were cold and Himchan hated it. He hated people to be afraid of him.

“Youngjae. You know me. I won't let anything happen to you. I need you to tell me so I can help you...” Youngjae still didn't want to talk. “...I don't want to use Junhong's powers on you to get what I want, as my father did...don't oblige me Youngjae...” the peasant boy shivered more and more, he was trapped and the choice that was given to him wasn't really one... “Youngjae ? Watch me.” Youngjae met his eyes with the elder, and he saw how warm and caring his look was. He was wrong, it wasn't the Royal who was passing him an interrogatory, but his friend who was worried about him. The usual Himchan who had always took care of him. “You can trust me Youngjae.” The peasant boy nodded.

“When I was running in the streets, I heard them screaming. I thought everyone could hear them as it was very loud...

...go on...

They were saying they needed to find someone, that they couldn't fail and if someone tried to stop them...to kill him...” Himchan rubbed Youngjae's little and bruised hands with his long and beautiful fingers. He smiled softly to him, and it remembered Youngjae the Queen's smile earlier. The smile had evoked something in him, it was exactly the same as his son. “Then, when I told him I understood what he was saying, he said that he finally found me...” It had been short, but Youngjae felt well Himchan's hands tighten on his when he said that, but it became back soft quickly. “Then, he asked me to help them, that they would come back tomorrow and he left.” There was a silence and it was now that the peasant boy needed his friend to reassure him. “Himchan...

Was it the first time this happened ?

It was the first time I came face to face with a creature...

Mm... they'll come back..and...” Himchan was thinking deeply, his Royal side showing off at the moment, “can you be our spokesman ?

What ? ...and what if I don't understand this time ? What it...if-

I will be there to protect you.” Junhong who had stayed setback, took a step forward them.

“Why can't you talk to the creature then ? At my place ?” Youngjae had hesitated a bit, it was the first time he talked to the mage.

“They don't want to talk to me...it's you they wanted to talk to...

Why me ?”

Junhong stayed silent, as if he was holding himself back to say it.

“You-you know ? ...you know why they're after me...you know why all this is happening to me !

Don't worry. I was here to make sure nothing happened to you...

So you really put your blue thing on the houses to prevent me to enter ??!

You weren't risking anything.

How could you know ?!

I knew.

Then I guess you know also what they want to ask help for too...why don't you tell it to the King now ?

I can't.” Junhong didn't even hide the fact, that effectively, he knew.

“Why ?

It would change everything and things need to happen. To a certain point. I can't take action on things that important.

Why can't you ?

I'm only here to ensure everything go the way it have to go. Don't worry, I'll protect you tomorrow.

Tomorrow ?” With the whole conversation, Youngjae had forgot about what he had to do. “Why would you protect me ?

You're too much important.

Me ? No ! I'm not ! I'm a mere peasant ! I-” Youngjae stopped when he saw the way all his friends were watching him. “I am not...I am normal...I don't want this...” Youngjae didn't want to believe it, it was a nightmare, sort of he had so often and he would wake up. Then he felt his back being rubbed and he watched the blonde boy who had came sit next him.

“We rarely chose what we are...but you can chose what you want to become. You have the choice to do what others want you to do, or you can do what you feel like you would do by your own. Himchan is asking you your help because it's his kingdom. For my part I would never force you to do something you don't want to, or you're afraid of.” Youngjae's eyes started watering, touched by his best friend's words. That was what he had needed to hear. “You'll always have my support, whatever you chose, because we're best friends.

If I understand well...if we are meant to die...you will let us die ?” Junhong turned slowly to the guard boy, who always felt that shiver when their eyes met.

“I will.” The mage answered blankly shocking everybody in the room, except for Jongup who chuckled.

“What's the use to know everything then ?

It's because I know...that's why I can't take your place.” Junhong turned back to Youngjae.

“Well it's nice to know we have your support.” Jongup leaned back on the bed, putting his hand behind his head and closed his eyes. There was a little silence, before Yongguk, who had stayed silent for quite a moment, spoke again.

“Liar...” even without watching him, Junhong knew he was talking to him. He recognized the cold tone he does use only with him. And without watching him, he could felt his eyes burning holes in his soul. “...my sister...” Junhong turned shocked to the elder. How did he know ?

“...she was meant to die, wasn't she ?” Yongguk said after a moment, the way the mage had reacted when he evoked his sister confirmed what he thought. Junhong watched the ground blushing, and he nodded. “...but you saved her...” and Junhong confirmed again what Yongguk was saying by nodding.

“Guk...” Himchan called his best friend sadly.

“I know...I can feel it...I quite, somehow, always felt it Chan. Remember ? When I said that I wasn't mean to do the same work as my father...now I understand. My sister should had died so I would wanted to take revenge...” His look went from the mage, to Himchan and back to the mage.

“Junhong...is that right ?” The young boy had never told Himchan anything about Yongguk's destiny. Junhong blushed even more, still watching the ground, he nodded and started crying silently.

“Wow...Junhong must have feelings for your sister then.

What ?” Yongguk had never thought about it in this way, well, he had never really wonder why the mage had saved his sister. He watched the boy exiting the room and running away crying. He felt lost and didn't know what to think about it : the mage with Sunhwa ?

“Maybe because he saw her everyday...” Jongup started teasing Yongguk, and it worked. It wasn't that often Yongguk was that responsive to his teasing. “...maybe he saw her and-

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ?!”

Jongup burst in laugh while Yongguk was screaming after him.

“Then he saw you too !!!” Yongguk blushed to the guard boy statement, and they all chuckled. “That's why he's afraid of you !!” It started to become hard for the others to contain themselves, and while they were trying to not laugh, Yongguk was trying to not jump on Jongup to tear his head off. “...YOU MAY BE THE FIRST MONSTER HE SAW !!!

HA HA HA HA” They all exploded, grabbing their stomach as it was hurting them too much.

“You're all so stupid...”


 


 

“We can't.

Why ? We all need to sleep to be ready for tomorrow. That we want it or not the creature will be back.

No. I mean...we can't sleep in your bed.

Don't worry ! It's wide enough for all of us !

...no...that...it's...royal...”

Himchan rolled his eyes at his shy friends' statement.

“I don't like to sleep alone.” He hadn't wanted to, but Himchan had had no other choice than to use his Royal tone.

“You...

I used to sleep with Junhong before you took it away from me.” He pouted toward a sighing Yongguk. “So you owe me a year and a half of loneliness.” In the end, the cat had really belonged to the Prince...but he couldn't further his thoughts as Himchan had grabbed him and made him fall on the bed, wrapping himself around him.

“Chan...

Shh. And enjoy to sleep with your Prince.” Yongguk, who could have his night's main activity resumed by that one word, blushed. Then he struggle the best he could to lean normally in the bed, if you could consider as having someone wrapped around you as leaning normally. Jongup came lean next Yongguk, and Himchan opened one arm for Youngjae to come lean to his other side. Daehyun following him.

During the night, Yongguk -who couldn't sleep with the Prince being that near to...on him- heard the door opened, then Daehyun whispering. “Junhong ? Is that you ?

...yes...” the mage answered in a whisper.

“Sorry, I think Yongguk took you place.” The young boy chuckled and Yongguk found him cute, like a kid...then he remembered that the mage was still very young, thing he tended to forget too often. Always waiting for him to act like an adult.

“Can I ?

Of course, come. You need to rest for tomorrow too. Everyone seems to forget you must be tired after putting your blue thing on the whole city haha.” Then the young boy chuckled again, and Yongguk decided he liked it...he seemed more...human. He felt the mattress moving and he guessed the boy had leaned next Daehyun.

Yongguk watched Himchan who was too near from him, leaning next to...on him, and he thought back to something Daehyun had told him the first day they met.

Oh, I know what he is, but you would be surprised the day you will discover it...maybe you have a crush on him and you don't know about it...”


4454 words


 

Compared to my previous story I write less A/N, don't I ? Maybe I want you to enjoy the story better, as this one is more fantastic. I don't know...

So I'll just let you with those fanarts (credit to the owners) that I think fit well this chapter XD